Bag Setup Thread: Reasons and Thoughts

I'm not real comfortable with the top end of my bag. Slice my driver and am very inconsistent with the hybrids. I rarely use the 4 iron because I just don't need it.

Driver.
Hydrid 2/3.
Hybrid 3/4.
4-gw
Wedge. 56
Putter

I need to update my WITB but its not quite 100% set yet so am waiting a couple weeks. For now its:

Driver 10.5* Depends on the day but solid 250 usually more like 270-280 with the occasional one creeping out close to 300
3/4W I keep this one set more like a 4W. I can hit it off tee or deck and its good 240-260 range again depending on the day.
3H 225ish fills the gap pretty well
7W 200-215 I use it off the tee and off the deck
5-pw gaps are pretty good and I am getting much more consistent
50*,54*, 58* I use them all full swings, partial swings, chipping, and pitching. I use the 58* for most pitch and chip shots. I mostly use the others chipping when I need to keep the ball lower or need more run out.
Putter I have one...… I have several...…. I can't putt

My bag has been in flux this year, have a new iron set inbound with graphite shafts, never had graphite in irons so looking forward to this...this will be it for a while once the irons come in.

Driver-G400 lst w/ping tour shaft in r
3 wood-G400 stretch w/Alta in s
5 wood-G400 w/Alta in s
4 hybo-G400 w/Alta in s
4-pw BH ptx pro’s w/recoil 780 f4 smacwrap
Gw-either a BH equalizer in 50* or AP2 in 50
Sw-titleist SM7 54/10S w/s200
Lw-titleist SM7 60/08M w/s200
Putter-odyssey WH pro #9
Ball-prov1x

That’s 15 clubs, I’ll trade the BH 4 iron in and out with the 4 hybo based upon how I’m swinging it and course setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do rotate in and out clubs within the top 3 spots of my bag, but for Tuesday's 36 hole skins game I am going with 10* driver, 15* 3 fairway, and 19* hybrid.

2021 considerations....

DR
4w or 5w
19-20 Hybo
21 UT
5-P
48, 54, 62
Putter

I don't know what to do and having battle thoughts all over the bag.

Locks
1. Driver
2. 5i
3. 6i
4. 7i
5. 8i
6. 9i
7. pw
8. 48 degree CBX2 (Although this could become a set AW/GW if I like the sets version.)
9. 54 degree CBX2
10. 58 degree FF
11. 4hybrid
12. Putter

Those 12 are locks. The next 3 are depending on how I am feeling.

13. Epic Flash 3 wood
14. Epic Flash Heavenwood
15. 52.09 Mill Grind TM wedge

I will definitely have one of the 3wood or Heavenwood in the bag. HW duplicates distances for 4h but I hit it better than 3wood and don't use either off of tee. I have been carrying a 52 degree low bounce TM wedge in the 14th slot lately. I have found that I have chipped better with it. From a gapping perspective it doesn't really do anything different than I can do with my partial shots on between my 48 and 54. I just am not comfortable chipping right now with the midbounce CBX2. I don't like chipping with the 58 degree.

Realistically I don't need the 4th wedge. I just need to learn to not have the yips chipping. I think I just need one low bounce wedge in this gap range of 52-54 degree. Basically if I can full swing this 100 yards I am covered. The way I use this spot I don't really ever full swing this spot. I usually use it 80 yards in more controlled swing.

I'd be better served to have both woods in my bag or a Utility/driving iron and mix those 3 and not the wedge.

I spend so much time googling bag set up. I find WITB fascinating and love watching videos on how people set up their bag and why they choose. It is one of my favorite things about reading about golf. I love hearing the logic behind what people do.

Last edited:
2023 is going to be a season of trying something new for me, how long will it last? Who the hell knows.

9.0 Driver
16.0 UW
23.0 UW
SMS or Tec UT 4i
5-P SMS Pro
48/54/60
EAS 1.0

Then I’ve got the ability to shift in/out the utility as needed based on the course if I want a low lofted 3w or another wedge.

Going forgiveness this year:

TSR2 11.5*
TSi2 16.5*
Apex UW 19*
Honma Hybrid 19*
Titleist Hybrid 23*
Apex Pro Hybrid 26*
Srixon ZX4 6 iron
Srixon ZX5 7-PW
Vokey 52* & 58*

All graphite all internet golfer’d to the max. Interested in switching a 21* hybrid out for both the 19* and 23* and then adding a 62* full face wedge for summer.

Last year I went from 3w/5w to just a 4w, in order to add an extra wedge to go to 4* gaps there. Has been a great move so far as I don't hit nearly as many fairway wood shots as needing those 75-120 yard full shots.

The hybrid spot is the only place I have some doubt right now. I've got a 22* 4h in there now, but the shaft isn't as stout as the 4w or iron shafts so I feel like it wants to move left more than it should on a stock swing. Being a big TSR fan, I tried a TSR2 21* hybrid with a 90g HZRDUS Black in it and that seemed more consistent - higher launch and more consistent, but seemed spinny for my swing. Considering a fitting for one or maybe even trying a 7w in that slot.

TSR2 driver 10*
TSR2 16.5*
G425 22*
ZX5 5-GW
Vokey SM9 52/56/60
Black Series Tour Designs #4

I’ve been testing a short driver and a mini driver, both to good results. It is showing me that a driver proper may not be a good choice for my bag until k can sort out my swing. So it then begs the questions, what should I do with the 14th slot? Thoughts?

Current Bag:
Driver Alternative
18* hy-wood
21* RadSpeed hybrid
5-GW Edel SMS irons
54/58 Edel SMS wedge

2024 is bringing change for me.

Going to go 7W in place of UW, and likely alternate a UT or hybrid in the 23 degree spot above it. Also, moving to a 54/58 wedge setup as I think it’ll fit my course better for me in natural distances into greens.

Putter is the current largest consideration. I have some thoughts but need to try some things and see if they actually work for me..

Figuring out what wedges to game and whether to play the Apex Pro UT or the Apex UW 23.0 Tour head in that spot.

Tempted to drop two of my long clubs for one in the middle to open up a specialty slot that can rotate based on my whims and the course. Rotating ones would be second driver, utility, chipper, and 64 deg wedge

16.0 Apex UW could find a spot…

IMG_6517.png

First off, that’s hammered.

Secondly, you hit that better than a 3w off the deck?
A little since it’s got about 2 degrees more loft than my strong 3.

Might be more useful, but, I’d have to shift off of the 19 above it I fear

A little since it’s got about 2 degrees more loft than my strong 3.

Might be more useful, but, I’d have to shift off of the 19 above it I fear
16 vs 14, yeah I’d shift 16 just the same.

How would you gap the 5w spot then? UT 22 and then hope for the best?

16 vs 14, yeah I’d shift 16 just the same.

How would you gap the 5w spot then? UT 22 and then hope for the best?
That’s the million dollar question.

Thing is, I hit the 14 further, and can still hit it off the deck so I hesitate to let it go.

Who knows.

That’s the million dollar question.

Thing is, I hit the 14 further, and can still hit it off the deck so I hesitate to let it go.

Who knows.
Club battle at BR. I could see maybe extending (and flattening a touch 😍) a 22 so it fits a gap better if you even need to

Back