Ball Position when putting?

I believe in dead center. Here is a good video with one of the best putting coaches in the world that we shot this year.

According to that video the putter head should be in the center. Wouldn't that put the ball just forward of center?

I prefer just ahead of center, just to get a little better forward roll. But it depends on your stroke. If you have an arc (inside-mid-inside), then you need to find where your putter is square and put the ball there. If you are straight back and through, then anywhere center or up is good.

I put my ball forward of centre and find it improves my consistency. I start by standing with the pinky toe of my back foot across from the ball and my feet together. Then I leave my front foot where it is and step my back foot back to have them slightly more than shoulder width apart. The ball ends up significantly forward, but not as far forward as with a driver.

I used to putt Nicklaus style with an open stance and the ball off my left toe (worked great if I was close enough to see the ball and the hole (in my peripheral vision)), then I moved to middle of my stance with a forward press (putts a nice immediate roll on the ball with less skidding IMO). Lately though I have been using an open stance with ball just inside my right (back) heel, and and separated grip, have a much easier time aligning longer putts using this style. That being said, I believe middle ball position is the best all around for most people. jmho

Most instructors will say JUST forward of center - just enough so that the putter is in the absolute center.

This is what I do as long ago I saw a segment with Pelz and that is what he suggested.

Just forward of center is what i do. I read an article in todays golfer with putting tips from a top pro golfer (I think it was Luke Donald) and he said that this means you hit it just on the up stroke which means the ball gets rolling more easily.

I have the ball just forward of center. The face of my putter is dead center.

Its usually right in the middle or just forward of that. If its too far back I honestly seem to hit the ground before it everytime.

I try to keep it just a smidgen front of center

I'm in agreement with most everyone here - just a little but ahead of center.

I generally play it directly below my eyes. Where that falls in my stance, I have no idea.

Back