BBQ and Outdoor Cooking Thread

Looks dry. Probably wasn't. Would love to try some sometime!
I was reluctant to post because camera doesn't always capture meat correctly. It was actually medium rare. And delicious.

I was reluctant to post because camera doesn't always capture meat correctly. It was actually medium rare. And delicious.
I bet it was good! I rarely have the ability to get venison, but I always enjoy it.

What is the white stuff in the pan?

Beef Tallow.

After 4 ish hrs, and the right feel in hand, the cheeks go in there, get sealed up, and do another 3 ish, or until they have the correct tenderness.

I have never seen beef cheeks on sale, where do you find them? I would love to try them.

I sometimes order from an online butcher. Many have them, but I get mine from Porter Road usually.

I also get them from my local butcher, when I feel like making a trip over.

Ribs 2 ways tonight, pellet smoking one pre-seasoned rack doing 3/2/1.

Second is in the instant pot, 30m pressure, 30m natural release
My wife did a rack in the instant pot a while back and I was surprised how good they turned out. I still put them on the grill to sear them though.

I will
My wife did a rack in the instant pot a while back and I was surprised how good they turned out. I still put them on the grill to sear them though.
I will put bbq sauce on after they've done in the pot and broil them till they're nicely caramelized on top to finish

The rotisserie duck was quite a success last night:
2R0CPqX.jpg

Just did a soy sauce rub down, some 5 spice over top, and some Chinese bbq rub (cumin, fennel, etc.)
I have never cooked duck. I assume cooking is similar to a comparable sized chicken except maybe you want to run it hotter to render the fat since ducks have more of it?

I have never cooked duck. I assume cooking is similar to a comparable sized chicken except maybe you want to run it hotter to render the fat since ducks have more of it?
This was our first time and a bit of an experiment that I would do differently if I was to do it again.

I believe the BBQ was showing ~300F and it cooked for nearly 2 hours. We only pricked holes in the skin to help with rendering, but there was still TONS of fat under the skin when it was done (temping between 150-160F depending).
Many videos for preparing Peking Duck call for dry brining, scalding the skin with boiling water to shrink it up, and pricking holes. I would do this next time to hopefully aid in managing the fat. More heat probably would have helped but it was quite cold out when we did this so there was a bit of a struggle managing temp.

Pit Boss. We have tried most, but wanted something that was non-stick with ceramic or porcelain coating. This one is so good to use.
Which Pit Boss model do you have and would you still recommend it?

Thanks

This may be a purchase.

I need to fire up my grill. With temps in the 50s this weekend I'm going to make it happen

I need to fire up my grill. With temps in the 50s this weekend I'm going to make it happen
I built a BBQ shelter to deal with that but I'm firing up as well.

Chicken tacos, doing the chook on the grill and I'll get the smoker going with ABT's and smoked cream cheese.

Just put on ABT's and cream cheese.

Pics tomorrow because I'm currently drinking. :drinks:

Back