Ben Hogan Adds Iron Numbers

I started off on the fence. The more I look at it the less I like the numbers. It looks like an ugly misplaced afterthought stamped onto an otherwise gorgeous iron. I could see this working maybe if the numbers were like 1/2 the size, in a script type font and moved further toward the heel of the club. But as is this isn't working for me.

Poor Hogan was screwed either way, golfers dont like change. :D

They got blasted by some for not putting the numbers and using the loft so they added them and now get blasted for adding them. :act-up:

Im in the minority, as I like it. Its a small etching that is barely noticeable but helps someone like me that doesnt want to count down every time I grab a club.

not a fan. i felt like the loft or gtfo mentality was part of their story, and it made sense. what i would have preferred would have been switch to traditional numbers on the sole, then etch the loft on the hosel, maybe on the opposite side of the serial number.

Agree completely

They got blasted by some for not putting the numbers and using the loft so they added them and now get blasted for adding them. :act-up:

Im in the minority, as I like it. Its a small etching that is barely noticeable but helps someone like me that doesnt want to count down every time I grab a club.

Yup, damned when they didn't and damned now that they have it on there. I am fully expecting to pick up a set of these the end of this year/early next year and the more I think about it the happier I am that the numbers will be on there.

Yeah either way they were in as position to lose. I actually reached out to them to see if I could get mine stamped because I am one would like both but to each their own. I really like the thought of both the loft and club number on it.

I will admit that the above picture makes it look a little tacky. Too big and blocky. It's always tough judging something by a picture though. I do think a different style for the numbers might make it more attractive.

Isn't that always the case in today's age....takes a few to mess it up for the many's?!

Isn't that always the case in today's age....takes a few to mess it up for the many's?!

Im not sure? This was a bold move, but unfortunately way too many people hated the idea of not having a number on it. The good news is that when someone orders, they will be able to choose from a variety of lofts for each number so all of that "loft fixin' " doesnt start shining through. :D

Im not sure? This was a bold move, but unfortunately way too many people hated the idea of not having a number on it. The good news is that when someone orders, they will be able to choose from a variety of lofts for each number so all of that "loft fixin' " doesnt start shining through. :D

Well to be fair you never hear from the ones that are satisfied and don't need to voice.

I don't understand why it can't be optional. It's just cheap etching and is absolutely an "after-thought" process done just like the serial numbers.

Again, I'm not opposed to the idea. I'm just opposed to the poor execution.

From their Instagram

094d788f558cd1cffc3d8da7c003963e7dbdd13aad41d2c76e9cdd671d4fc057.jpg

Soooo,....to those out there that are pondering the purchase a new set of Hogan irons, what say you? What do you spend your hard earned $$$$ on?

"Regular or Etched?"

Why would these numbers bother anyone when most folks on here think beating clubs up with club chatter give clubs character?

Who would really notice the numbers after a week or so?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I don't understand why it can't be optional. It's just cheap etching and is absolutely an "after-thought" process done just like the serial numbers.

I've been thinking about that question too. My guess is it is related to their manufacturing process and how each club is individually built. Allowing a choice to have or not have the club number could add a lot of extra manual steps at the engraving/etching machine. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soooo,....to those out there that are pondering the purchase a new set of Hogan irons, what say you? What do you spend your hard earned $$$$ on?

"Regular or Etched?"
While I'm not a fan of the etching I don't let that detract from the fact that these are amazingly good irons. I would absolutely spend my own money on them. I would buy them with the etched numbers or without. That is small potatoes compared to everything else that comes in this package.

"Regular or Etched?"

Have been thinking about getting a set since I had the trial program, and this doesn't diminish my interest in the slightest. The etching is insignificant, but will likely be helpful when coming from standard iron sets.

100% agree. It's not an example of damned if you do, damned if you don't. They told a story and it fell flat for enough people that they tried to appease all. First, good for them for trying something different and sticking to the lofts. Second, good for them for trying to give the people what they want. But third, it just looks bad to me. There were different ways to do it that I think could have been so much better. The clubs are so classic and elegant, then there is this after thought that doesn't in any way fit with the aesthetic or other design elements.

Would it affect my purchase decision? I don't think so. But it absolutely affects my opinion of the visual appeal of the clubs.

I have to admit, I find it humorous, and a bit unsurprising, that people complain when there are only lofts saying they want number and then when the company comes with a solution people complain that they're going against what they stand for. The Internet always wins I guess.

I don't think that it looks great, but I also totally understand the idea.

I don't think it's the same people complaining on both sides though is it? Maybe it is, I don't know.

Obviously Hogan can't please everybody and I suppose I can't blame them for trying.

I don't mind it, they tried to do it their way at first and it didn't work out so they listened to their customers/potential customers and made a compromise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think it's the same people complaining on both sides though is it? Maybe it is, I don't know.

Obviously Hogan can't please everybody and I suppose I can't blame them for trying.
Never said it was, and it really wasn't my point, it was exactly what you said in the end there, you can't please everyone. It really IS damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I think it would be less polarizing if they would have put some effort (and likely money) into the club numbering process/design.

Never said it was, and it really wasn't my point, it was exactly what you said in the end there, you can't please everyone. It really IS damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I can't remember off hand but was there really that much uproar in the orig. thread about the lofts listed and not the iron number. I thought it was pretty positive but may be wrong.

I just think there has to be a better way to do it. They have such a classy and clean looking iron but from what I see in the pictures they "fixed" the "problem" with what appears to be a tacky or cheap looking fix. JB says it looks better in person and hopefully it does.

I think it would be less polarizing if they would have put some effort (and likely money) into the club numbering process/design.

How though? Seriously, how?

Completely re-doing the irons?

Also, honest questions, what does money have to do with it? Couldn't it just be trying to find a simple solution without overcomplicating it?

Genuinely curious.

00f3374e3429c8c95f27e90bb0f5a76e.jpg

Let's change the Tapatalk pic too. Please. :alien:

Back