Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

Ok, I don’t want to jinx my time with the 4 wood. Today was my first range time with it I’m liking what I’m seeing. The clubs shape reminds of my Callaway 815 fairway which is my favourite wood to date , that thing was so easy to hit and long!!! . This club in my eyes is pretty similar and that comfort feeling is what my game needs right now.

When struck good this fairway is just as long as the rest with better accuracy. My dispersion was pretty tight . And that sound is sweet sweet music to my ears. On mishits the ball did not seem to lose too much distance and stayed within the lines I was aiming for. Was able to experiment a little by hitting low/mid/high fights with ease.
Averaging 235-245 carry and even with the high decent angle the ball ran to the back of the range 265

Once I get more time with this club under my belt , can see my tee game improving for sure.

Last edited:
GS53 Driver- the hard right showed back up again today! I don’t want to say anything negative about the driver because it’s truly on me and my swing faults. More forgiveness would be nice, but that’s not what Ben Hogan Golf is built upon. When you’re swinging great, the driver performs! It’s the “off days” that’s penalized. I told myself I would use the same clubs all year. There’s a lot on the market right now that has peeked my interest, but I‘m fairly certain they wouldn’t mask my swing issues any better. #Indiannotarrows

GS53 3-wood- this metal wood is hard to beat! Looks good, feels great! I get a low to mid rising flight. Distance is always super consistent. My EXS 3 Wood is longer, but the distance varies a lot from shot to shot. With the Hogan, I can count on 230 carry. Also, is a great backup off the tee when the driver isn’t working.
Im a little late here but youre right on the driver.. still have mine shafted up in the garage but haven't played it in a long time. I was very surprised how much I liked this driver and how well it performed. Gave me some of the longest, low spinning bombs ive ever hit

But as you mentioned its not the most forgiving at all. My miss is typically a high toe ball and with the GS53 that strike starts right and goes farther right. But when centered its a pretty addicting sound and feel. I had a lot of rounds last year where I really had this going and so much confidence in it

So, I’m in a love/hate relationship with this driver! It was very Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! I started on #10. No warmup or stretch. Haven’t swung a club in 2-3 weeks. And, it wasn’t pretty. A hard slice. After hitting the ball right for the first couple holes, I made a correction and now I have a draw, hook! I’m just spraying this thing all over! Get to the #1 tee. Hit a decent drive down the left side of the fair way. Get to #2, a par5 dogleg right. Hit a great drive that starts right side and draws back to the middle about 255. Hit a beautiful hybrid into the green to set up an eagle chance. Hit a decent drive left fringe on 7. Get to the Par 5 9th, tattoo one right down broadway about 270, leads to my second eagle putt this round. I’m pretty sure I’ve never had two eagle putts in one round before. I know any bad shots are on me! Definitely Indian, not arrows. The sound and feel of the driver are top notch. The ball just seems to trampoline off the face. The driver can perform! I’ve gotten really good distance before, and I have seen a couple guys just bomb it @BHGtylerb @Johan185 ! The driver has always been my biggest flaw. I would love to be more consistent with the driver. One more thing is, I would like to get more roll out. I need to figure out how to optimize this driver.

My GS53 FW will be here this week. Finally 🥳

The driver and 4 wood have been on fire for me. Mostly the 4 wood that thing is just a rocket for me. Last round had it controlled a nice soft draw longest was 271. The driver has also been a hit and miss for me but when I stripe it that thing is gone. Nice mid flight and roll out which I hardly see. Most of the time I’m lucky if I get 5 yards roll out but this ones getting at least 10. May need to cut down the driver shaft a little to gain the control and consistency.

First round with my 4w smoke shaft. This just goes high and straight. I may put a 80 gram shaft in it to squeeze a few more yards. Spin is a little high with the smoke.

Do you think a golf club knows that it’s days might be numbered?! I absolutely pounded 10 of my best drives I ever hit in a row...using the GS53!😳 It was so freaking awesome! They all went straight, with a medium flight, carried 260+. I have never done that before. The driver has always been my worst club and it’s like it new that Callaway was sending me something to replace it and it wanted to put up a fight to stay in the bag!
I hit the 3 wood well too! There’s video up on my swing thread. The first one I hit really well. That second one...not so much!🤷‍♂️ Maybe I will get consistent enough to tee off with the driver more, and not just the 3 wood or 18* VKTR.

I’m beginning to feel like an abused spouse with this driver! I can absolutely blister one dead straight and then...it’s just heads up everyone...I have no idea where it’s going! It’s such a roller coaster. If I could replicate the good shots more often, this club would be lethal for me. Just setting up scoring opportunities. I’m giving up so many strokes punching out of the trees or hitting my second shot from the next fairway! The driving range and tee box are night and day for me.

The GS53 3 wood continues to impress. It’s just reliable! A great performing fairway wood at an amazing price. No bells or whistles, just performance.

Skim alert but...the speed slot really reminds me of Adams. I know it was part of Hogan’s repertoire going back to persimmon woods. So I’m wondering, has there been overlap of talent between Hogan and Adams? Or perhaps Adams just hijacked a Hogan feature??

Skim alert but...the speed slot really reminds me of Adams. I know it was part of Hogan’s repertoire going back to persimmon woods. So I’m wondering, has there been overlap of talent between Hogan and Adams? Or perhaps Adams just hijacked a Hogan feature??
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Look at the Adams Pro hybrid and the VKTR hybrid!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! Look at the Adams Pro hybrid and the VKTR hybrid!
Have the same designers worked at both companies?

Hit the GS53 on the sim tonight. I’m putting it on a pitch count as of now! Check out the Big Bertha B21 thread for a synopsis. #toughlove02C50095-A3F7-4550-A54A-384BE8E86D02.jpeg74673CD7-257B-47C7-A7FD-810C64EE7F91.jpeg

Well...it’s official! Check out the signature!😳😢

GS53 fairway wood still is a performer. Great sound and feel. Easy to hit and launch for a smaller, “players” club.

I hit the GS53 3 wood once today. I had 238 to a plateaued green on a Par 5. I thought I could get close, but would be short because of the elevation. I hit an absolutely beautiful shot that cut through the air with a nice medium rise and laser straight! I hit the fringe of the green. Absolutely shocked I pulled that shot off. The Ben Hogan fairway woods are great and underrated! For a smaller, compact “players-style” fairway wood, it is an absolute weapon.

GS53 3 wood 🚀🚀🚀

The GS53 fairway wood has become absolutely lethal! It checks all the boxes...sound, feel, performance! Also, I took the GS53 driver with me to compare to the B21. The Hogan driver visually looks like it has an excessive amount of bulge/roll versus the Callaway. Has anyone ever noticed this before?

Put the driver back in play today just for a change and man it did not go well. Really fought the slice during my round. The Cobra so far this year has been pretty consistent with a fade and I was curious how rhe Hogan would do. May have just been an off day, but I really struggled off the tee today.

Back