Ben Hogan Player's Combo Set

Do you have a big gap between your 22 and 5w?
Nothing crazy, easily managed my choking down on the 5w when needed.

Jman I wanted to ask, what made you pick the combo over going for the Icons?
I play a full MB set up 3-pw for a decade now but I'm wondering if I should go combo or Icons.
Just interested how you made the decision and if you have any regrets/feel you would have been OK with the full blades.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
I didn't want MB's in the harder to hit clubs in the bag, there are too many benefits for me personally in playing a split set, so that was the way for me.

I believe I could play the full ICON set, but I'd rather have the same slick address look while at the same time knowing I've got a little more "give" from the PTx Pro's there.

They flow seamlessly.

I didn't want MB's in the harder to hit clubs in the bag, there are too many benefits for me personally in playing a split set, so that was the way for me.

I believe I could play the full ICON set, but I'd rather have the same slick address look while at the same time knowing I've got a little more "give" from the PTx Pro's there.

They flow seamlessly.
I think I may have to get the ptx Pro and icons for a demo. I'm hoping I can get the 18 degree UiHi instead of the 22 as I don't carry a 4 iron.
Thanks for the reviews, it looks like you're really enjoying them!

I think I may have to get the ptx Pro and icons for a demo. I'm hoping I can get the 18 degree UiHi instead of the 22 as I don't carry a 4 iron.
Thanks for the reviews, it looks like you're really enjoying them!

Def wouldn’t hurt to call and ask. I’d be shocked if they wouldn’t be willing to swap those.

They’re fun, and I’m absolutely in love with playing a more players style iron again, it’s just way more fun for me.

For anyone pondering long iron options, and how you might choose to build a set, here are some pictures of the UiHi, Ptx Pro, and Icon.

The ICON is a small blade, the face area on the long irons is compact both in heel-toe length but also height. As a profile it has a thinner top line and sole than even some other blade sets I have on hand.

The PTx is a very nice middle of the road, it has a deeper face than the ICON, more face area, and certainly more help behind the ball. Top line is going to be right in line with what most folks want to see in a players style CB. I love hitting them.

The UiHi has even more face depth and body depth, and even more oomph behind the ball than the PTx Pro.

L-R: UiHi 3i, PTx Pro 4i, ICON 4i
IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

ICON and PTx Pro - note smaller face height on the ICON.
IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6463.jpg

Ptx Pro and UiHi
IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6470.jpg

So turns out club champion cant even combo the sets differently than what Hogan offers. Thats what I was told anyways. I will have to go full Icon or 7-4 PTx Pro. Bummer as I really wanted the P-7 Icons.

So turns out club champion cant even combo the sets differently than what Hogan offers. Thats what I was told anyways. I will have to go full Icon or 7-4 PTx Pro. Bummer as I really wanted the P-7 Icons.
So I take it you've asked Hogan if they can alter the combo and they said no?

You won’t miss the ICON in the 7.

It’s a stock thing for Hogan and their model when it comes to the split of the irons.

Id bet they’d do the utility swap you were referencing before though because those are also sold as individual stock.

On a scale of 1-10, my happiness with these in the bag is a 14.

Im hitting golf shots again, honest to god, manipulated, flighted, and feel driven golf shots. There’s no focus on hitting my full swing number, these are built around precision so I’ve finally let myself get back to where I’ve always been deadliest with my iron play, hitting the club necessary to hit the shot I want, not just the one that goes X distance.

The guy at club champ did. They told him its not possible.

Am I missing something? The Ben Hogan website doesn't appear to offer this combo set in the black finish. My apologies if already discussed. I have been following the thread but have not read every post.

Am I missing something? The Ben Hogan website doesn't appear to offer this combo set in the black finish. My apologies if already discussed. I have been following the thread but have not read every post.

Combo Set is Chrome only, at least for now.

It’s been that way since the combo set release, no black finish yet.

Is there rumor of a black finish in the combo set?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Is there rumor of a black finish in the combo set?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

There is no rumor. However, if these prove popular maybe history will repeat and DBM will be on offer in the future. I know Ben Hogan are proud of and want people to have the option of the DBM finish because it really is that good. The wild card is the DBM UiHi - offering both finishes in the Utility would be wild given their streamlined business model, I can't think of any other OEM offering finish options on the same utility?

There is no rumor. However, if these prove popular maybe history will repeat and DBM will be on offer in the future. I know Ben Hogan are proud of and want people to have the option of the DBM finish because it really is that good. The wild card is the DBM UiHi - offering both finishes in the Utility would be wild given their streamlined business model, I can't think of any other OEM offering finish options on the same utility?
Tour Edge with the EXS 220 Ti

The wait is killing me. I hate playing golf with clubs being booted out soon. It is like living with your ex.

I do things with these that...just make me laugh.

They feel as good as any iron I’ve ever played, even Mizuno and Miura, theyre stunners in the bag, and they’re just flat out versatile fun.

Still waiting for mine 😢

@Jman, I know you stated that you have committed to these for at least this year/season, do you see anything on the horizon knocking them out for next year? How long could you game these and keep the enthusiasm?

@Jman, I know you stated that you have committed to these for at least this year/season, do you see anything on the horizon knocking them out for next year? How long could you game these and keep the enthusiasm?

Wait, you know you are talking to @Jman, right? :LOL: I never thought I knew somebody who is as bad as I am, but... I mean, the guy hit the Apex combo set like he could play on the mini-tour. That iron set is still talking to its therapist, wondering what went wrong in the relationship.

New release season starts in Nov/Dec/Jan so let’s talk then.

Wait, you know you are talking to @Jman, right? :LOL: I never thought I knew somebody who is as bad as I am, but... I mean, the guy hit the Apex combo set like he could play on the mini-tour. That iron set is still talking to its therapist, wondering what went wrong in the relationship.
I’d put some money on this one, I’m not changing irons this season. Obvious caveat is if the job requires a review of an iron set.

Back