Ben Hogan Player's Combo Set

Just caught up on this entire thread. How I don’t own a set yet is still beyond me

Just caught up on this entire thread. How I don’t own a set yet is still beyond me
I’m going to sit at the laptop here in a bit to hammer out more thoughts, but you know me, and the last time I was this smitten, and I mean FULLY smitten with a set of irons might have been the Apex Combo’s, but these are on another level of feel and confidence from those for me. The ideal combo set for me.

I’m going to sit at the laptop here in a bit to hammer out more thoughts, but you know me, and the last time I was this smitten, and I mean FULLY smitten with a set of irons might have been the Apex Combo’s, but these are on another level of feel and confidence from those for me. The ideal combo set for me.

You loved those Apex combos. This is high praise!!

I have resisted the very strong ICON temptation thus far. You, @ddec and @KEV are not making it easy though...

a ball striker like you can surely allow them to find their way into your bag.

So, I have some thoughts.

I updated the UiHi thread on that one, so feel free to hop in there and join the convo.

For the set in general, I'm amazed at the way it flows, and I mean absolutely amazed.

Its two parts to that, one, the PTx Pro are stellar in the long irons, and we know here on THP how well received they have been. I've owned a full set of Pro's before and for me there was something lacking in the scoring clubs, for me, this solves that. The ICON's are surprisingly easy to hit, @ddec and I have chatted about it and honestly, he and @KEV are NOT crazy with their thoughts on the playability. These are MB's, yeah, but the sole design and width IMO makes them silly playable...IF you are a somewhat consistent or decent ballstriker, if you are erratic, you will probably struggle a little. For me though, the ICON's are addicting as hell.

The feel through the set is what is just wrecking my mind. THEY FEEL IMPECCABLE. Power, plush power, no clicks, no clacks, no harsh, just feedback that makes you giggle.

I have hit golf shots with these this week I haven't in a long ass time, and I don't mean aim straight and hope, I'm talking honest to goodness golf shots, workability, consistency, flighting, I'm taken aback by it all.

And I also don't think I can change out the damn Tour-V 120X, which is annoying, and what I feared. They've always been good for me.

thanks for saying I'm not crazy

a ball striker like you can surely allow them to find their way into your bag.

If I could just buy ICON 8 - PW, it would be a no brainer. I'm sure temptation will likely get the better of me some day. Have been swinging the PTx Pros really well lately so that has helped curb the urge.

I would get them but I forgot the 10% off code.

One of the things love about the PTx Pro is feel, they are as described, plush and consistent near center and they will provide progressive feedback as you wander from center. They will give you what you put into them... I picked them up and next day hit 11 greens at PGA National (that's a lil' above average for me folks :love:). It's awesome to hear the all three shapes feel fantastic and play consistent to each other across the set.

If they offered them in LH, they’d corner the market.

thanks for saying I'm not crazy
I shouldn't be hitting the ICON's as well as I am yet here we are, raving about them.

So, I have some thoughts.

I updated the UiHi thread on that one, so feel free to hop in there and join the convo.

For the set in general, I'm amazed at the way it flows, and I mean absolutely amazed.

Its two parts to that, one, the PTx Pro are stellar in the long irons, and we know here on THP how well received they have been. I've owned a full set of Pro's before and for me there was something lacking in the scoring clubs, for me, this solves that. The ICON's are surprisingly easy to hit, @ddec and I have chatted about it and honestly, he and @KEV are NOT crazy with their thoughts on the playability. These are MB's, yeah, but the sole design and width IMO makes them silly playable...IF you are a somewhat consistent or decent ballstriker, if you are erratic, you will probably struggle a little. For me though, the ICON's are addicting as hell.

The feel through the set is what is just wrecking my mind. THEY FEEL IMPECCABLE. Power, plush power, no clicks, no clacks, no harsh, just feedback that makes you giggle.

I have hit golf shots with these this week I haven't in a long ass time, and I don't mean aim straight and hope, I'm talking honest to goodness golf shots, workability, consistency, flighting, I'm taken aback by it all.

And I also don't think I can change out the damn Tour-V 120X, which is annoying, and what I feared. They've always been good for me.
Anyone have any specific questions I can answer for them?

Anyone have any specific questions I can answer for them?

Out of curiosity, what did you perceive as missing in the PTx Pro scoring clubs and what is it about the ICONS short irons that fill that void for you?

That's some great feedback James. I love hearing that the set is working as a unit. One of my fears with other combo sets is will they flow together? It sounds like that isn't a problem and they killed it on the looks because the set looks like it should be built this way.

It's cool to see the shafts are working for you too. I haven't had one complaint about them in my ICON's either but was interested in how they would work for others.

This really makes me wish you could buy individual irons though. I'd love to compare the long irons in the ICON set to the PTx Pro's.

Out of curiosity, what did you perceive as missing in the PTx Pro scoring clubs and what is it about the ICONS short irons that fill that void for you?
The look was just off to me, and something was amiss on the feel for me. But, I’m picky in the scoring clubs, and I think it’s why I’ve always had more enjoyment out of more demanding clubs in that part of the set. The Pro’s are a great set, I just think for those looking for a Combo, the ICON/PTx Pro relationship is way better and practically perfect. I thought these would be fun, what I’ve got has me full on gushing about it instead.

That's some great feedback James. I love hearing that the set is working as a unit. One of my fears with other combo sets is will they flow together? It sounds like that isn't a problem and they killed it on the looks because the set looks like it should be built this way.

It's cool to see the shafts are working for you too. I haven't had one complaint about them in my ICON's either but was interested in how they would work for others.

This really makes me wish you could buy individual irons though. I'd love to compare the long irons in the ICON set to the PTx Pro's.
Man, it’s maybe the best combo set I’ve played, actually I think it is, yes better than the CF19 combos which didn’t visually or feel wise flow as well imo. I jumped based on just being an addict, and getting them at 705 (after discount) didn’t hurt either, and figured if nothing else I could move them for no loss to a THP’er or local. Well, they’re getting the nod for the rest of the season.

The price has blown some people that have seen and hit them away quality and performance for price it’s amazing how well they’ve done with these.

Reactions: KEV
Working on getting some 7i to 8i numbers, went out to the garage setup while everyone in house was napping, but it’s 96 outside and like 105 in the garage, I was sweating so much I just stopped, haha.

I’ll get the data though, bank on it.

The photo you posted in the Uhi thread of the soles is very eye opening. This set is seamless!

The photo you posted in the Uhi thread of the soles is very eye opening. This set is seamless!
Yessir! It’s in the original post in here too, with some other pics. That’s the one that angle wise out a lot of concerns to bed for me compared to some of the pics out there.

Back