Ben Hogan PTx Irons Review Thread

I finally got a few rounds in with my set. (Recoil f3, 46 degree pw). So far, so good!

It will take a bit of time to figure out how far I hit each club. It’s been in the 40’s and windy here, which makes hitting solid shots a challenge. It’s my first experience with graphite iron shafts, which is another adjustment.

I have been inconsistent with the 22 degree 4 iron and I suspect a hybrid with replace it long term. Other than that, the clubs are solid and I am looking forward to playing them in some decent weather next season. And fwiw, they are beautiful! The build quality is terrific.
The good news is their hybrids are designed to integrate with the irons. So find yourself a 22* Hogan hybrid and you are set (the hybrids are very good, btw)

I have a 25 degree Callaway with the Recoil shaft that seems to go about the same distance as the 22 degree 4 iron. Hard to say for sure in this weather. A balmy 34 here this morning. First frost of the season!

I finally got a few rounds in with my set. (Recoil f3, 46 degree pw). So far, so good!

It will take a bit of time to figure out how far I hit each club. It’s been in the 40’s and windy here, which makes hitting solid shots a challenge. It’s my first experience with graphite iron shafts, which is another adjustment.

I have been inconsistent with the 22 degree 4 iron and I suspect a hybrid with replace it long term. Other than that, the clubs are solid and I am looking forward to playing them in some decent weather next season. And fwiw, they are beautiful! The build quality is terrific.

If you are interested in a 22* VKTR, let me know. Love the PTx 4 iron.

Well, I took a leap of faith today! Purchased a set of new Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15s off of Ebay! I liked the Edge, really liked the PTX. Think the KBS shafts didn't allow me to have the wow factor I was looking for. Got a great price for the Ft. Worths. Going to reshaft them with Nippon Modus shafts. They have the KBS Tour V 120 X shafts with standard BH blue/red grips. I will be selling those if anyone is interested!

Going to be listing the Hogan VKTR Hybrids, PTx Irons (4-P) and Equalizer Wedges (48, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60) that are shown previously on this forum topic. Please reach out if you are interested!

All sales should be in the marketplace section of the forum.
Full rules are in the sticky in the top of that section.

Thank you.

Yep. I'm in process of listing them on that subforum.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Received my Ft. Worth 15s tonight. I will measure them and post pictures so that everyone can see the differences between the Ft. Worth 15, PTX, and Edge irons.

Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 High Launch 31* (6i) Pictures/Measurements

Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 High Launch 31* (6i) Pictures/Measurements

Pictures/Measurements

Attachments

• FullSizeR[1].jpg
    FullSizeR[1].jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_1[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_1[1].jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_3[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_3[1].jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_4[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_4[1].jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_5[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_5[1].jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_6[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_6[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_7[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_7[1].jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_8[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_8[1].jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_9[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_9[1].jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 High Launch 23*-47* Pictures/Measurements

Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 High Launch 23*-47* Pictures/Measurements

Pictures/Measurements 2

Attachments

• FullSizeR_11[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_11[1].jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_10[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_10[1].jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_12[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_12[1].jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_13[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_13[1].jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_14[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_14[1].jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_15[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_15[1].jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_16[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_16[1].jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • FullSizeR_17[1].jpg
    FullSizeR_17[1].jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
The differences between the Ft. Worth 15 and the PTX. The PTX has a toe heighth of about 2 3/32', so a touch over 1/16" taller. The sole of the PTX is about 3/16" wider than the Ft. Worth 15. They both have the same blade length at 2 7/8", effective hitting area(grooves) 2 1/8", and top line thickness of 1/4". Just in overall measurements, the forgiveness of the PTX can not be that much more than the Ft. Worth. The vast forgiveness is coming from the larger cavity and on the long irons, the added Tungsten. The PTX might be 10% more forgiving...15% if we are being extreme. The 3 clubs are a great progression from one another. There isn't much change between the Ft. Worth and the PTX or the PTX and the Edge. The forgiveness from the Ft. Worth to the Edge is probably 20-25%. So, if your torn between the Ft. Worth and PTX demo them both. In my opinoin you can play one just as easily as the other or piece together a combo set of PTX long irons and Ft. Worth mid-short irons. Also, I believe the majority of golfers should be able to play the Ft. Worth 6 iron-PW with no problems. The 4 and 5....depends on how good of a ball striker you are, but they are not super imtimidating!

20180704_180248.jpg

So it has been six months since the incredible Ben Hogan Iron Experience where I received my PTx irons. I wanted to give some more thoughts on these now that the honeymoon is over. The PTx is my first set of forged irons, I struggled deciding between the game improvement Edge irons and the mid level PTx before the event. I have always played cast game improvement irons in the past so I was worried the PTx would be too demanding for my game.

The good:

These irons are very forgiving for me on thin or fat shots. When hit somewhat fat they do not dig in and the ball ends up with satisfactory results. When hit thin the ball gets up in the air with plenty of spin to hold the green or at least the fringe.

The feel on well struck shots is just wonderful. The sound and feel you get is a pleasure and the feed back you get from off center hits is harsh but you know what you did wrong before you finish the swing.

20180704_181319.jpg

The 47* PW has become my favorite club in the bag. I have confidence to hit it full to 130 yards or I can back it down to 110 with ease. I chip with it whenever possible unless a higher loft is required.

The styling of this iron is still very appealing to me. I keep my bag in the house so I am constantly walking by it and moving a club around so they all sit just perfect, sometimes in the middle of the night LOL. I grab a club nearly everyday and swing it in the living room. I wash and detail them about once a month.

I had a small issue when a ferrule slid up the shaft. Ben Hogan Golf sent a UPS call tag, repaired the iron with a brand new CP2 grip and shipped it back to me in a weeks time. All of this at no charge.

The bad:

I tend to have bad ball striking days once in a while with a mainly toe side miss. There is a pretty steep distance penalty with these if they are hit more than 3/8" from center. I do not miss enough towards the heel to speak about it.

The KBS Tour V shafts launch too high for my liking, I do not get ballooning from them but I would prefer a lower launch and flight from my next set. At the time of the event I would not consider graphite shafts but since then I see that they would be a better choice for my aging arms and shoulders. Ben Hogan now offers a Dynamic Gold option as well. While I would prefer a lower ball flight I do take advantage of the higher launch when I need to get over a tree.

Being my first set of forged irons I now know the danger of bag chatter. Just like graphite shafts in my irons I would not consider iron covers before the event but my next set will get covers before they go in the bag. Since they already have some chatter I have decided to let them go and I will know better next time.

20180617_105234.jpg

Closing thoughts:

While I truly love these irons would I choose them again? Yes is the short answer with different shafts. I am going to play these in 2019 and decide if I am going back to a game improvement set or stay in this class.

Ben Hogan has proved they will be there if something happens to my clubs. When it comes time for a new set they will be at the top of the list. The value of these clubs is remarkable, by using a direct to consumer sales program you get a top quality set of irons for about 60% of what you would pay in a retail environment.

Ben Hogan Golf has a great demo program, for $10 you can try the PTX or any of the other products with your choice of shaft and flex.

THP and Ben Hogan Golf announced that the Ben Hogan Iron Experience is returning in 2019 and will be better than ever. That is a tall order but with JB and Tyler from BH as captains it will be a ton of fun.

20180617_104822.jpg

TXG posted this the other day. Just found it this morning. The PTXs are an amazing iron....looks, feel, performance, and value! It's hard to justify paying another $200-$500 dollars for a forged set when these check every box. I have found a handful of new/mint sets in thr $400-$500 range. At that price, they are a steal. Hopefully, Ben Hogan will add more stock shaft options. That is my only complaint.

If you go to the first post in this thread you will see the PTx have been on the market for three years now. It is cool to see some love from TXG on these and they were comparing them to newer releases. They were surprised how well they perform. I wish my swing was as consistent as that big lefty, he can hit any shot he wants on command. Thanks for sharing Cobb!!

I bought a set new and gamed them for a season. Really liked them. For whatever reason, the loft stamp on the bottom instead of a club number really bugged me. I can’t explain it or rationalize it....it just does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did the Ptx compare to your 919 Forged in terms of forgiveness?

Hey PTx Guys !! I read the entire thread... not many posts lately.. I've got 3 Demo's coming on Monday... I couldn't decide on the shaft .. currently play KBS Tour's with the Bridgestone DPC's. Unfortunately the tour's aren't available so am trying the Tour V, the Tour 90, and the Recoil (bad elbow). Just wondering how many of you guys are looking at the new Apex Irons.. I've got my eye possibly on the new combo set.

How did the Ptx compare to your 919 Forged in terms of forgiveness?

Have not had enough time yet with the 919s, but in my limited testing, the 919s are certainly more forgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey PTx Guys !! I read the entire thread... not many posts lately.. I've got 3 Demo's coming on Monday... I couldn't decide on the shaft .. currently play KBS Tour's with the Bridgestone DPC's. Unfortunately the tour's aren't available so am trying the Tour V, the Tour 90, and the Recoil (bad elbow). Just wondering how many of you guys are looking at the new Apex Irons.. I've got my eye possibly on the new combo set.
I moved from PTx to Apex. The PTx are solid irons, they just offer a bit more spin than I need. But I still love the feel and profile a ton.

I didn't care for the Tour V irons. I'm 99% sure I'm putting Nippon Modus in mine.

I was recently iron fitted at Club Champion. As opposed to buying the iron I was fit for, I have ordered the shafts I was fit for and I will put them in my PTx's shortly after they arrive. There is no doubt in my mind this change will improve what I'm getting from the PTx irons so I'm really looking forward to this change.

I was recently iron fitted at Club Champion. As opposed to buying the iron I was fit for, I have ordered the shafts I was fit for and I will put them in my PTx's shortly after they arrive. There is no doubt in my mind this change will improve what I'm getting from the PTx irons so I'm really looking forward to this change.

Which shaft did they fit you into? I have the Tour Vs in mine and like the feel, but may consider a re-shaft to lower spin.

Which shaft did they fit you into? I have the Tour Vs in mine and like the feel, but may consider a re-shaft to lower spin.
I was fitted into the SteelFiber i95 Stiff. I have the Tour V 120 in them now, this shaft was close to what I was playing in my previous irons.

Put the PTx back in the bag today after 3 rounds with TEE CBX Forged. Loved having them back in there and hit them well for the most part

Are you ready for PTx Pro irons? Just saw a video on their YouTube channel about them. No details but they sure are pretty. Appears that is what they were teasing about with their 4/8/19 social media posts early this week.

Back