Ben Hogan PTx Irons Review Thread

Just put my GP MCC Plus 4 grips on and did some testing of the 20* VKTR vs 20* PTX. The driver is coming out of the bag tomorrow for my first round and I will carry the 52,56,60. Having tested all the wedges, I was originally going to likely go 48, 52, 58 if I put driver in bag. After some short game time and hitting full shots, I think it's more likely going to be 48, 54, 60.

Man these things feel good. They fly high with a bit more spin but I was also practicing with Pro V1X balls. I'd rather play Pro V1 - my gamers are Vice Pro Plus so we will see how they play tomorrow.

36 on tap in the 100-107* heat of AZ at Phoenix Country Club....
78c686d269152b53c9f8e07cbee1c802.jpg
c28f6d7bb72555b8dc2b369598e82f93.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bags are looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decided to put my Mizuno JPX 900 Forged in the bag today for the heck of it since I have been striking the ball so poorly lately. As soon as I got back home, they immediately came out and the PTx went back in. Did not like the feel of the Mizunos after playing with the PTx for the past 2.5 months. Just need to work through my ball striking issues with the sticks that look and feel awesome.

I keep trying to replace the 4 iron with the same lofted VKTR hybrid but I always put the 4 iron back in after 1 round. Just produces much better results due to more solid ball striking for me despite the lower ball flight.

I keep trying to replace the 4 iron with the same lofted VKTR hybrid but I always put the 4 iron back in after 1 round. Just produces much better results due to more solid ball striking for me despite the lower ball flight.

I hadn't played a 4 iron in several seasons, but the PTx 4 iron changed that.

I hadn't played a 4 iron in several seasons, but the PTx 4 iron changed that.
Same here. Can't even remember the last time I bagged one with confidence before the PTx.

These clubs can really build your confidence that's for sure!

Just put my GP MCC Plus 4 grips on and did some testing of the 20* VKTR vs 20* PTX. The driver is coming out of the bag tomorrow for my first round and I will carry the 52,56,60. Having tested all the wedges, I was originally going to likely go 48, 52, 58 if I put driver in bag. After some short game time and hitting full shots, I think it's more likely going to be 48, 54, 60.

Man these things feel good. They fly high with a bit more spin but I was also practicing with Pro V1X balls. I'd rather play Pro V1 - my gamers are Vice Pro Plus so we will see how they play tomorrow.

I really like that look with the stripped paintfill!

I'll be packing my PTx's for The THP Championship tomorrow. Yes, I still love these irons!

Naked, have you no shame? Looks great!!

I just received my set on Tuesday! I got the mid-high lofts with the 46 degree wedge. +1/2”. 2 degrees up. Graphite F3 hardstepped once. One extra wrap of tape under the grips. They are beautiful!

I will likely not play them for a couple weeks. I have one more tournament this season. Making the move to all regular shafts next year. I will be 68 and I need the help.

I just received my set on Tuesday! I got the mid-high lofts with the 46 degree wedge. +1/2”. 2 degrees up. Graphite F3 hardstepped once. One extra wrap of tape under the grips. They are beautiful!

I will likely not play them for a couple weeks. I have one more tournament this season. Making the move to all regular shafts next year. I will be 68 and I need the help.
Great purchase! Hope you hit them well and enjoy them!

I see the PTX are offered with Recoil 760 ES shafts. Does anyone know - are these the SmackWrap shafts?

I am not familiar with Which Recoils are the SmackWrap but I know for certain they are available in these irons. I believe Sox Fan has a set of PTx with those shafts, I am pretty sure he likes them LOL. He is probably out playing a round, good for him. He will reply to the thread when he see's your question. I love my PTx irons!!

Welcome to THP, Your research for irons brought you here but this place is so much more. I hope to see you around the forum.

Despite my swing being absolute trash lately, these irons are definitely the best performing of the 3 sets I have during the slump. Forgiveness on very frequent mishits with the PTx still leaves me in better positions and with a little more distance

For any interested, I am going to be selling my Hogan PTX irons (and equalizer wedges) in this thread. I was fitted for PXG under the hero program.

I am demoing the PTX, Edge, and VKTR Hybrid! I have not hit the PTXs yet. I was looking at them and the lofts. If I got the low launch set, my "pw" would be 44*. I could then hopefully find or buy an extra 47* degree iron and bend it a degree weaker to 48* to be a PTX set matching "gw". Just curious, anyone playing the Equalizer wedge in a 48*\50*? What is everyone's opinion? Would you rather have a 48* PTX or Equalizer?

I have a 47* PTx and a 48* equalizer. I game the PTx wedge because I had it first and gained confidence with it immediately. I did a short shoot out with them and had no clear winner so I stuck with what was working.

Does anyone have the PTXs with Nippon Modus shafts in them? I am not a huge fan of the KBS Tour-V I hit in the Edges.

Does anyone have the PTXs with Nippon Modus shafts in them? I am not a huge fan of the KBS Tour-V I hit in the Edges.
Sorry, can't help you - I have Recoils in mine.

Ok. Thank you.

I finally got a few rounds in with my set. (Recoil f3, 46 degree pw). So far, so good!

It will take a bit of time to figure out how far I hit each club. It’s been in the 40’s and windy here, which makes hitting solid shots a challenge. It’s my first experience with graphite iron shafts, which is another adjustment.

I have been inconsistent with the 22 degree 4 iron and I suspect a hybrid with replace it long term. Other than that, the clubs are solid and I am looking forward to playing them in some decent weather next season. And fwiw, they are beautiful! The build quality is terrific.

Back