Best Club Made During Each Decade You've Been Playing

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
A little variation on the "best club ever made" threads. What do you think was the best club made during each decade you've been playing?

I started playing in the early 80's. Accordingly:

1. 1980s - Ping Eye 2 Irons (I believe this to be the best club ever made)
2. 1990s - Taylormade Burner Bubble
3. 2000s - Titleist Vokey (somewhat of a cop out but what Vokey would you pick?)
4. 2010s - ??

Honorable Mentions:

1. Mizuno MP 32s
2. Sonartec SS 2.5
3. Adams Idea A7 Hybrid ("Peanut")
4. Taylormade R9
5. Nickent Genex 3DX
6. Odyssey 2 Ball

I would have to add the Odyssey two ball putter somewhere on that list, at WORST as an honorable mention.

I would have to add the Odyssey two ball putter somewhere on that list, at WORST as an honorable mention.

Completely agree! I meant to add it and will add it right now.

2000s: ummmm... R9 driver?
2010s: SeeMore Z Series putters

2000's: Odyssey 2-Ball
2010's: Probably the TM R11. Revolutionary to the driver market even if only because it was white.

1970s: Taylor Made Pittsburgh Persimmon

A little variation on the "best club ever made" threads. What do you think was the best club made during each decade you've been playing?

I started playing in the early 80's. Accordingly:

1. 1980s - Ping Eye 2 Irons (I believe this to be the best club ever made)
3. 2000s - Titleist Vokey (somewhat of a cop out but what Vokey would you pick?)
4. 2010s - ??

Decade? That's a big window. I would agree with the Pings for the 80s. That's when I started, and I lived in Arizona then, too. I didn't play much in the 90s, but I had a Great Big Bertha. And there were many clones of it out there, too. I took a big break from 95-2005 so can't say too much about most clubs in the 2000s. I can say I've swung a Vokey maybe twice in my life. Never owned one for sure. I'd have to say just about any White Hot putter for that time. And, so far, in the '10s', personally I'd go with the whole 91x series of woods. I swore to myself I'd never bag a Titleist club. Then I tried one, and I've tried to replace it. The only thing I can think might do it is the Bio Cell+ which I need to spend more time with, but a very solid and advanced offering, IMO.

Tommy Armour 845 and 855 were probably the best clubs ever made.

Not sure how they didn't make the list.

2000s - Nickent 4dx evolver driver
2010s - Cleveland 588 cb wedges

I have a limited history with golf but these 2 were the ones that "helped" me the most.

Started playing in the early to mid nineties and for the 90's if have to say TM burners, bubble shafts really liked those drivers and woods, used ping eye2 irons right through nineties and 2000's although they were out much earlier my vote for best club ever made, best club of the 2000's id have to say TM R9 for me, got me back hitting drivers again, and of the current decade so far for me its callaway razrx forged or x forged irons or the new apex forged series all are great as well as callaway md2's , my iron game has been spot on since i started hitting these clubs, the feel, distance, control and forgiveness is unreal, honourable mention for original callaway big bertha series woods and drivers, titleist vokey wedges, early odyssey white hot putters, and current x2hot 19* or under hybrids and SLDR drivers also are very nice

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

1980 - ping eye twos
1990 - Callaway Big Bertha and TA 845
2000 - Callaway Great Big Bertha and TM 300 Irons
2010 - Callaway Optiforce 440, xforged irons

1980 - ping eye twos
1990 - Callaway Big Bertha and TA 845
2000 - Callaway Great Big Bertha and TM 300 Irons
2010 - Callaway Optiforce 440, xforged irons

Your 80s and 90s picks are spot on in my book. I have no opinion for the others since I was out of the game for the latter 2.

These were the first "nice" clubs I ever bought. I bought them with lawn mowing money my sophomore year of high school and used them on my HS golf team my Junior and Senior years. These clubs are the reason I have returned to TaylorMade time and time again. However, nothing has seemed to quite have the magic that these did, at least for me. I still use them occasionally and when I travel to the UK in April I think they are what I will bring with me (I can replace them far cheaper than my other clubs if they airline breaks them. HA!)

I cant say I really knew enough about clubs over the years to make a great personal guess based on knowledge. But I can say what I think made the biggest splash and sent the biggest ripples through the pond would imo would certainly be the ping eye2's and the big bertha.

All drivers for me, they tend to leave the largest impression.
90's Yamaha EOS Driver. No question
2000's Cleveland Launcher
2010's So far it's the RFE or G30.

Back