Best Cut of Ribs?

I think it really comes down to quality vs quantity. Baby backs are a higher quality cut of meat, more tender and cook more evenly throughout the rib. But there’s more meat with the STL ribs, they’re a close second for me. Followed by the spare ribs.

Spare Ribs (and I don't care if they're cut to St. Louis or not) when I can find them fresh. Unfortunately getting non-frozen spares is difficult in my area.

St. Louis for me, but I usually buy full spares and smoke the tips also. Makes a great addition for baked beans or anything else where you can add smoked meat.

Baby back and it’s not close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dammit man, now i want me some ribs.

dammit man, now i want me some ribs.

I am thinking about smoking some today, come on up

I am thinking about smoking some today, come on up

just let me know when the company jet will be here haha

just let me know when the company jet will be here haha

I am fueling it now. Stay through the weekend and you play ozark national and buffalo ridge with me and Ron Monday

I am fueling it now. Stay through the weekend and you play ozark national and buffalo ridge with me and Ron Monday

sounds amazing my dude! mind calling my wife and letting her know? lmao

@JB have we done a wet vs dry rib thread? Was it moved to the debate room already?

Do you mean slathered with sauce throughout the entire cooking process or glazed at the end? I start with a dry rub and then add some apple juice, broth, butter, honey and rub to the foil boat when I wrap them. When I remove them from the wrap, I cook them without added sauce and usually add a finishing glaze that I've made at the end. The glaze is much sweeter in competition than it is when I cook them at home.

Do you mean slathered with sauce throughout the entire cooking process or glazed at the end? I start with a dry rub and then add some apple juice, broth, butter, honey and rub to the foil boat when I wrap them. When I remove them from the wrap, I cook them without added sauce and usually add a finishing glaze that I've made at the end. The glaze is much sweeter in competition than it is when I cook them at home.
Yum! :drool:

I prefer St Luis style. Baby backs might be higher quality but there's just not enough to them.

This thread made me hungry for ribs. I just picked up 3 slabs of St. Louis ribs to go in the smoker this weekend up at the lake.

I am not a pro or anything, but that is pretty much how I do it. Put a nice rub on my St. Louis style rack and cook dry for about 4 hours at 235. Then I wrap in foil with approx. tablespoon on meat side and rib side each of apple juice/brown sugar/parkay. When tender (an hour or so) I remove from foil and put that liquid gold from the wrap into a sauce pan. I leave the rack uncovered for about an hour to firm the crust back up. In that sauce pan, I add a cup of BBQ sauce and then brush the ribs lightly in the last 20 minutes. I serve the BBQ sauce on the side for those that want more sauce.

The Knock Out Meats baby back ribs from Costco are the meatiest baby backs I’ve ever eaten! Full slab is 3 lbs!

I like the meaty ones that don't have the weird cartilage chunks. I will admit that rib cuts are not my specialty for meat knowledge so I don't know what those ones are even called.

I am not a pro or anything, but that is pretty much how I do it. Put a nice rub on my St. Louis style rack and cook dry for about 4 hours at 235. Then I wrap in foil with approx. tablespoon on meat side and rib side each of apple juice/brown sugar/parkay. When tender (an hour or so) I remove from foil and put that liquid gold from the wrap into a sauce pan. I leave the rack uncovered for about an hour to firm the crust back up. In that sauce pan, I add a cup of BBQ sauce and then brush the ribs lightly in the last 20 minutes. I serve the BBQ sauce on the side for those that want more sauce.

My time ratio is generally 2.5/1.5/1 at 225, depending on the bend of the ribs at 2.5 hours.

Not sure if I have a favorite cut, but this is the best I’ve found for seasoning. Amazing taste!
087351a6e09a3368fee5d25baae82db2.jpg

My time ratio is generally 2.5/1.5/1 at 225, depending on the bend of the ribs at 2.5 hours.
Thanks. I think that is about what I do on baby backs, but am pretty close to 4/1/1 on spare ribs. It just depends on when I think the rub is set and won’t come off in the foil.

Costco has some nice St. Louis cut today that I picked up for the Saturday competition. I will take some pictures of our event :)

I prefer the baby back simply because I can cook them and get more consistent results. St. Louis are great but for me on the cook side there is a much more thin line to make them taste good and have the texture I like. Playing with beef plate ribs lately and these simply kill pork, but that is another story.

JM

I like them all!!! Y'all should try Country Style ribs sometime. We have done them the last couple of times and they were darn tasty

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
We were talking about ribs at work and they had not heard of Country Style so I thought I would clarify what they were just in case y'all hadn't heard of them either. Country style ribs are sometimes called Western Ribs and they commonly come from the Boston Butt or the Loin. They both have a lot of meat in them, but the ones from the loin are more lean. They are extremely tasty...and now I want ribs again!!!

We were talking about ribs at work and they had not heard of Country Style so I thought I would clarify what they were just in case y'all hadn't heard of them either. Country style ribs are sometimes called Western Ribs and they commonly come from the Boston Butt or the Loin. They both have a lot of meat in them, but the ones from the loin are more lean. They are extremely tasty...and now I want ribs again!!!

A visual of the ones my wife smoked today. Yes, my wife does all the grilling and smoking. She loves doing it and I get the benefits without the work.

147a46be190962517128636f04d8414b.jpg
30fe9a7b10883f5b76a26b5fbda57b47.jpg

St Louis and it’s not really close.

Back