Best decisions you've made in your life?

Reenlisting in the army for my current job. Marrying my wife. Starting to take golf seriously instead of an excuse to drink in the morning.

Last edited:
Best golf decision - finally figuring out how to get to the actual main forum page on THP. Took me a little while :D

Best life decision - Going back to my hated part time job at Popeye's Fried Chicken when I was 18. That place went bankrupt and closed, forcing me to find a new job, which ended up being at Pizza Hut where I spent the lunch rush staring at the gorgeous blonde who was making subs at the D'Angelo sub shop that shared the space with us. We started dating at the end of that summer of '94, married in '98, with kids coming along in '01 and '05.

Hands down getting sober in 86, I was headed down a very dark road with all kinds of nasty characters, I got sober and most of them died as a result of addiction.

Second would be marrying Caroline, she has taught me many things in the 15 years we've been together.

Third would be googling golf forums, without that search I would not be posting in this thread and I would not have made the few good friends I've made here.

I've a couple of them.

Joining the Royal Navy at 16 years old. Divorcing my first wife despite the hardship and sacrifices that came with that. Sitting my Civil Aviation exams to gain my Engineers Licence. Taking a leap of faith selling up in the UK and moving over to Thailand a few years ago and moving in with a lady I met whilst on holiday here, so far we have been married 3 1/2 years now and just fit together.

Picking up golf clubs 20 months ago for the first time in around 10 years.

Marrying my wife hands down. And as a by-product of that union came our wonderful 13 year old daughter which would be #2 on my list.

Without a doubt it was going on a blind date with my wife. Today is our 40th Anniversary.

Sort of off topic, but I love reading about happy marriages and committed people in here.

Seems like every guy I work with or run into is either divorced, hates their wife, or both.

This could be about golf or life. But I want everyone to think and think hard about the best decisions to date that you have made in your life.

For me it was answering a date request from my wife on eharmony. Having my kids. Choosing golf over a life long love for soccer. Joining THP and making some life long friends.
I never knew this Freddie. I was about to say mine was sending my wife, after I saw she looked at my profile on American Singles, a message saying "I am a bit far away, don't you think?". SXhe was in California and I was in Kansas.

Getting divorced, my kids are so much better off now that we are not stuck in a miserable household.
I wish my parents had divorced earlier. I knew when I was five or six that their marriage sucked. They stuck it out until I was a senior in High School.

They sure effed us kids up, I tell you for a fact. Parents who stay together "for the kids" are doing everybody a disservice. That is never a reason to stay together. The kids always know the parents don't love each other.

Listening to my dad's advice of saving 10%-25% for retirement every year since age 23. I've never had toys such as boats, RV's, motorcycles, or extra cars but now at age 50 I've only got a few years left until retirement if I so choose.

It's funny, the older I get, the smarter my father becomes.

Wise advice there.

USMC..... Taught me so much about myself and other people.

Marrying Vickie almost 26 years ago. Without her I am Nothing.

Taking care of my mom (along with my brother and our families) when she wanted to die at home after being diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. Huge commitment and the hardest thing I have ever done. Totally worth every second to give her what she wanted........ Dignity.

Researching drivers and finding THP when I decided to get back into golf in 2011/12. I wouldn't have stayed in as long without all of you knuckleheads.

JM

best decision: answering the phone. my now wife was just a "friend" then, but we knew it was more than that. after several months of dating, i told her i was ready to be official (at our small baptist college we called it "dtr," defining the relationship). she wasn't. i was crushed and wrote her off. she wasn't ready to give up on us, and 12 years and 2 beautiful boys later, i'm deliriously, undeservedly happy. all because of her.

the other things in my life i could take or leave, including golf.

There are certainly lots of great decisions, but the one that popped into my head immediately was marrying my wife. She lets me play this crazy game, supports me in it, and despite a few grumbles, she's overall pretty ok with my obsession with golf and THP.

~Rock

Been with my wife since I was 17. She has given me the best little girl in the world. We don't always get along but she loves me even with all the sh*t I do. By far she is the best decision I have ever made. Second may be taking up golf my senior year in college

I guess I'm doing things wrong because I don't have and answer to this....

If we're talking about golf, bar none it has to be joining this community. Since joining, I've had a greater appreciation for the game than I ever have, and I had what was easily a top 5 weekend of my life when I had the chance to play in the 2014 Morgan Cup.

But in terms of overall decisions I've made - it had to be deciding to quit grad school the first time. I was miserable, hated what I was working on, but didn't know where I could go for work. Got an email from a friend of mine from college, who sent along a job listing she thought I might be interested in. About 10 years later, I'm still working at a job where I'm appreciated, who paid for me to go back and finish my PhD (including giving me some time off), and gives me a flexible schedule that works just fantastically during golf season. But more than all that, the friend who sent me the job listing is now my wife, and I couldn't be happier.

Accepting the blind date with my now wife. 12 years later and I'm still happy that I found a women who loves me unconditionally and can handle my sh*t and get me back on track when needed.

Deciding last June that if I ever wanted to be good at golf then I needed to commit to it instead of using it as an excuse to drink with my buddies.

Best decision ever though was to move back to my home town to help run our small family business. Sure it meant less money than the corporate world but it also means more happiness and free time to be a husband and also a father. Since my father was never around after I turned five I always vowed that my kids would never know that pain. Now not only can I be there for them but I'm not busy chasing the almighty dollar. Instead I'm busy being happy with what I have and relishing the time and love my family has between us!

Best thing: Birth of my daughter and getting to watch her grow/learn everyday.

Getting divorced, my kids are so much better off now that we are not stuck in a miserable household.

Next best: As painful and difficult as a divorce is, I would have to concur with you. It was important to "fix" the situation in order to make it more livable for my daughter, myself, and my ex.

Bad decision: not going to college on a full ride for soccer.

Best decision : marrying my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine would have to be picking the time I did to settle down and ultimately that's what lead me to my wife.

Worst decision? Might be my attitude towards school from ages 16-18 or the attitude I had towards the importance of credit from the ages of 18-22

I just kissed the best decision good night, and I will be off to join her soon.

The other best decision was to take a year off after getting laid off last March. Helping mom through everything after dad passed away has been both difficult and amazing. Seeing your mom from a 50 year olds perspective, living and working her way through a difficult time in her life is eye opening. Seeing both the strength and frailty has let me know and understand her as a person better than I have my whole life.

Becoming a police officer. Not for the job, I never wanted it really. But I met my future wife there when she was a police cadet (college student receives tuition credit, pay, training). She never did take the job upon graduation but I have her and two fantastic kids to show for my unintended career choice.

Getting married and having a family is number one. Joining THP and meeting fellow golfaholics is high on the list

Drunkenly stumbling up to the bar and telling a girl to take a real shot out of the shotglass she had on a necklace around her neck instead of the beer she was drinking. 11 years later she is still the love of my life and has blessed me with these two.

10570262_10152865503377345_6180614292646306458_n.jpg

The night of Oct. 25, 1995 when I got saved.
2 months later met my wife of almost 19 years now with her 2 beautiful children.

Golf related: picking up golf again after 19 years of only 6 or 7 rounds. Joining THP!

Worst decision in golf: Maybe not worst but hardest decision was making the choice to withdraw from the Legacy event after being chosen. Strictly due to a temporary financial hardship that hit the family and not knowing for sure if the money would be there for the entry fee, airline and travel expenses, and for the trip when time came. It still hurts but I didn't feel that "knowing the withdraw was almost certain" and doing it at the last minute was fair to my team, the other team, the coaches, JB and GG, the sponsors, and one of you lucky guys that could "prepare to win" that replaced me.

Back