Best Italian Dish?

Big fan of eggplant rollatini.

The best Italian dish I ever had in a restaurant was chicken piccata. I love spaghetti carbonara too. Actually all of these dishes sound fantastic.

I can't say I have a favorite, but here are my go-to's:
  • Chicken Cacciatori
  • Cioppino
  • Veal Saltimbocca
  • Bolognese
  • Frutti de Mare

Indeed Italian food, or the American interpretation of Italian food. The 2 have little in common.

For the great food I have eaten in Italy I typically don’t have a name for it. In some cases I doubt the chef had a name for it other then mentioning the main ingredients.

2 stand out: crayfish pasta on the square in Bergamo. And a rabbit main course which was so exquisite yet simple I salivate just thinking about it.

I avoid Italian food in the us after being disappointed multiple times.

A good spaghetti and meatballs is hard to beat.
For italian-american, Cioppino

Cabbage rolls. Specifically Lidia's recipe with the pestata. Don't get them confused with the inferior polish style cabbage rolls with the red sauce. These are one of the most requested things in our house. They take a lot of time to make, but they're worth every minute.

Tortellini. :love:

Chicken carbonara. Love the creamy part and bacon it makes for a perfect mix. The place I frequent adds shrimp to the meal it is so so good
Im with ya.

But.....There is one thing about Carbonara. (one my favorites too) and i also understand not just a pasta dish.

But here thing is thing (or probelm...lol)
its the word creamy.

More traditionally speaking (and you may already know this) but carbonara is relatively speaking much drier than what many people are use to as for cream or alfredo type of creamy.

A real good carbonara lives relatively drier. Not that its not creamy but its craamy in a much different way As matter of fact no cream is added at all. Eggs and cheese is what does it. And then even some water . The problem is that making it more traditionally it needs to be eaten rather quickly before drying up too much and so in many restaurants they tend to cheat at least a bit (with some cream) in order to serve because otherwise (traditionally) it dries too fast. Its still good even living on the creamier side, but eating it from a place who does make it more traditionally and does it well.....its is even much more super delicious without any cream.

Last edited:
Tripe. Just kidding although i have a brother in law who loves it. As to my favorite as opposed to going out to a good Italian restaurant it is homemade spaghetti and meatballs ( with some spare ribs cooked in the sauce). And then frying the leftover spaghetti in a frying piece pan with oil . My mother was Italian and i grew up on that. Try it sometime it is the best.

Im with ya.

But.....There is one thing about Carbonara. (one my favorites too) and i also understand not just a pasta dish.

its the word creamy.

More traditionally speaking (and you may already know this) but carbonara is relatively speaking much drier than what many people are use to as for cream or alfredo type of creamy.

A real good carbonara lives relatively drier. Not that its not creamy but its craamy in a much different way As matter of fact no cream is added at all. Eggs and cheese is what does it. And then even some water . The problem is that making it more traditionally it needs to be eaten rather quickly before drying up too much and so in many restaurants they tend to cheat at least a bit (with some cream) in order to serve because otherwise (traditionally) it dries too fast. Its still good even living on the creamier side, but eating it from a place who does make it more traditionally and does it well.....its is even much more super delicious without any cream.

Im with ya.

its the word creamy.

Exactly what I was saying. I think I remembered you saying you’re in north jersey? I’m from Bergen County originally but there’s this local place here in Nutley that makes the best carbonara I’ve had to date. I remember trying to do a takeout order and they refused because they said it had to be eaten ASAP even though I only live like 5min away.
the next time I went into the restaurant to eat with my wife, the owner went into this whole discussion with me how when they initially opened the restaurant, the carbonara was big source of debate between he and the head chef(they came straight from Sicily). The chef was saying they need to “Americanize” it by putting cream in it like everyone else because that’s what Americans are used to and the owner refused saying he wanted to keep his menu as authentic as possible...no cream. I’m glad he won out. I also didn’t realize they traditionally used guanciale in Sicily and not pancetta.

IMO you can not beat a good veal saltimbocca. Just melts in your mouth with a great blend of flavor. Runner up would have to be my grandmother's lasagna.
The Scotto sounds real good, not so sure I want my steak breaded though. 🤔

I kind of feel the same. Why would I want something different?

Cabbage rolls. Specifically Lidia's recipe with the pestata. Don't get them confused with the inferior polish style cabbage rolls with the red sauce. These are one of the most requested things in our house. They take a lot of time to make, but they're worth every minute.

Sorry. Looked at the pestata recipe and it is far too involved for comfort food! Comfort food is supposed to be simple to make. And not require a list of ingredients as long as your arm! Pestata might be fine for a high end restaurant charging top dollar! If your wife likes cooking it, count yourself lucky! Cabbage rolls are supposed to be comfort food!

Exactly what I was saying. I think I remembered you saying you’re in north jersey? I’m from Bergen County originally but there’s this local place here in Nutley that makes the best carbonara I’ve had to date. I remember trying to do a takeout order and they refused because they said it had to be eaten ASAP even though I only live like 5min away.
the next time I went into the restaurant to eat with my wife, the owner went into this whole discussion with me how when they initially opened the restaurant, the carbonara was big source of debate between he and the head chef(they came straight from Sicily). The chef was saying they need to “Americanize” it by putting cream in it like everyone else because that’s what Americans are used to and the owner refused saying he wanted to keep his menu as authentic as possible...no cream. I’m glad he won out. I also didn’t realize they traditionally used guanciale in Sicily and not pancetta.
Hopefully they are going to survive the covid situation.
Its rare to find a place that makes it traditionally for the reason given. Im in Monmouth. I did have a place in redbank that only had it on a special menu if you happen to be there the same night as it was offered. But they recently closed up after about 35 yrs. :(

Anyway....I literally just finished a homemade plate of Manicotti (all homemade pasta and filling) and with my wife's Sunday sauce and meatballs.
1606703897136.png
But now I can still go for some carbonara :D Hence why I am 20 lbs heavier than my heaviest Ive ever been..:confused2:

Attachments

• 1606703856178.png
    1606703856178.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Had a great wild boar ragu with roasted peppers last year. So very good

I kind of feel the same. Why would I want something different?

Sorry. Looked at the pestata recipe and it is far too involved for comfort food! Comfort food is supposed to be simple to make. And not require a list of ingredients as long as your arm! Pestata might be fine for a high end restaurant charging top dollar! If your wife likes cooking it, count yourself lucky! Cabbage rolls are supposed to be comfort food!
Pestata is actually a pretty simple sauce used as a base when doing some pasta dishes. I do a anchovy based pesata when I make lobster stuffed raviolis.

Fettucine Alfredo or a good Manicotti-- Always my go to's when at an Italian establishment.

Im a huge fan of marsala sauce.. and veal. So veal Marsala is my suggestion. With a side of angel hair pasta.

Chicken Piccata or Chicken Parm

Not a huge pasta lover, but I will go for Parm or Piccata every time given the chance.

Back