Best Overall Experience - Golf Resorts

Moved this over to the Travel section.
Do you have a state in mind? If you do, I can give you some of my favorites.
Well she’s never been to California or Colorado and has interest in those states...

Not Bandon dunes. There is almost nothing to do besides golf.
I've been trying to get my wife interested in golf. Until then, I might have to avoid Bandon and Cabot, as well. It's so tempting, though.

The Fairmont Grand Del Mar. Its amazing. Lebron James was married there.

I'll second the Fairmont Grand Del Mar. Great Tom Fazio Course and a better hotel. Amazing service, food and the rooms are ridiculously luxurious -among the top hotels we've ever stayed at. We stay there a couple of times a year when we are visiting our daughter at college in San Diego and it easily deserves its ranking as one of the top 3 resorts/hotels in California. Three pools including an adults-only, great spa and multiple restaurants. There are tons of things to do in Del Mar or La Jolla 10 miles away.

Your wife will love it.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.44.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.45.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.48.22 PM.png

Last edited:
Just returned from a week long trip w/ 5 other couples in Palm Spring, Ca. Played La Quinta (Mountain) & Desert Willow (Firecliff). Both were outstanding. Also Tukwet at Morongo which I'd give a B-. Spouses never lacking in things to do. Returned to Denver where high was 20*

I've heard good things about Nemocolin in PA. Never been there though.

Stay at Spanish Bay. Play there, Spyglass, Poppy Hills and Pacific Grove because your credit card will be maxed out by then:cool:

Hualalai Four Seasons has been listed by Conde Naste Magazine multiple times as the Best Resort Destination in the world due to its location, unbelievable service & Jack Nicklaus signature course. Have been and can confirm. However, I have heard that the American Club at Kohler is next level when it comes to a resort golf experience, with lots of other things to do.

So I know that various golf publications put out lists of their top golf resorts, but I was hoping to get some firsthand THP feedback based on what you guys have enjoyed.

My wife and I have a big anniversary coming up this August so we’ve managed to get 4-5 days way from the kids to do something. She is not a golfer herself, but I will be able to play as long as she’s got a pool, beach or spa. So my question is, what destinations are at the top of your list if golf is involved but more of an emphasis on the overall experience and things to do outside of golf?
Have you decided and booked anything?
If not, I’d suggest Sea Island especially with the wife. There is so much to do and see and the facilities and amenities are second to none.

Ill weigh in. Last few years we've done a beach/golf trip to Kiawah Island. There are 4 courses outside of the famous Ocean Course. Tons of houses to rent or condos that are only minutes walk from pretty nice beaches. All courses out there are a bit pricey (~$200, ocean course $400) but they are in really good shape and nice layouts. Only play the Ocean Course if you are really in the mood for a battle and a grind... it does not result in a relaxing round, but it is certainly an experience. And finally you get to fly in and out of Charleston which is a really fun city so make sure you plan it to spend some time there!

Have you decided and booked anything?
If not, I’d suggest Sea Island especially with the wife. There is so much to do and see and the facilities and amenities are second to none.
Nothing booked yet. But now more than ever, given what’s been going on the past couple of months, we want to go somewhere if conditions allow. Sea Island has definitely been on my radar in the past, maybe there will be some enticing deals that pop up.

Nothing booked yet. But now more than ever, given what’s been going on the past couple of months, we want to go somewhere if conditions allow. Sea Island has definitely been on my radar in the past, maybe there will be some enticing deals that pop up.
They’re consistently highly ranked and although it’ll be hot in August, thats when you’ll get better pricing and you’ll be at the beach or pool anyways.

Plus there are 3 courses. seaside has the best views and is incredible but they just re opened the other course after a full renovation, haven’t played it since but it’s supposed to be really improved. And the locker room...has a full bar and food service...it’s insane.

one of my favorite views is off the practice putting green....

A448C78C-D90A-4438-B88F-5CC7E190045A.jpeg

So I know that various golf publications put out lists of their top golf resorts, but I was hoping to get some firsthand THP feedback based on what you guys have enjoyed.

My wife and I have a big anniversary coming up this August so we’ve managed to get 4-5 days way from the kids to do something. She is not a golfer herself, but I will be able to play as long as she’s got a pool, beach or spa. So my question is, what destinations are at the top of your list if golf is involved but more of an emphasis on the overall experience and things to do outside of golf?
You are within driving distance-
PINEHURST!
stay in the main hotel-The Carolina.
Big breakfast buffet in the AM
3 course dinner in the Dining room (bring a jacket
The Ryder cup lounge is Awesome.
their hospitality is incredible.
the practice range is 1st rate.
courses are the best

I just walked in the door from Hilton Head. I have been there a ton of times but for some reason this time was just really nice. The community is relaxing. Post pandemic there are some good places to eat. Hotels or rent a place. Sand, sun, golf if you'd like. Not a bad drive from MD.

Good suggestions so far, and with corona lock down coming close to ending specials may be offered in some places. Take @JB up on which states you're looking at potentially. The man is a wealth of information! Not saying everyone else isn't.(y)

You are within driving distance-
PINEHURST!
stay in the main hotel-The Carolina.
Big breakfast buffet in the AM
3 course dinner in the Dining room (bring a jacket
The Ryder cup lounge is Awesome.
their hospitality is incredible.
the practice range is 1st rate.
courses are the best
I’ll be there in June with my Dad 😬. Love going to Pinehurst!

I've been trying to get my wife interested in golf. Until then, I might have to avoid Bandon and Cabot, as well. It's so tempting, though.

Cabot golf is only one stop on the Cabot Trail. Fantastic family and couples destination with the scenery, distillery, amazing food.

Sorry, I’m extremely bias haha Cape Breton has quite a bit to offer as a destination outside of golf.

If Colorado is still a destination of interest - the Broadmoor is a great place. Great old hotel with lots of restaurant choices, great golf, scenery and Pikes Peak and great hiking. August in Colorado from a climate standpoint is nice with very low humidity.

Moved this over to the Travel section.
Do you have a state in mind? If you do, I can give you some of my favorites.

Saw this post and needed to get some details from the expert... I will throw out a few...

Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Arizona

All of these places sound nice

While not an actual review or first hand experience I felt the need to at least give an "Honorable Mention" for Anchorage Golf Course for being extremely friendly and accommodating in response to an online request for a tee time. I was going to travel with my wife to Anchorage from Atlanta for a board meeting she was to attend and thought I would take advantage of the opportunity to play someplace different. I inquired about times and club rental and have copied/pasted their reply below.
Just thought I would share in case anyone was headed that way.

Joe:

Thanks for your email. We don’t have anything on the schedule that day so you’d be just fine to head on out whenever you are ready to play and we will get you out on the course. We most likely will have all the greens open by then. We had about a week or so where we were charging less because we had less than perfect conditions so if that’s the case this year, the price will be less than full price. It was only like $5 or $10 or something like that. We’ve come out of spring really good the last two years so we should be at 100% by the end of May. I can say pretty confidently we will have all the greens open and will probably be at least 90% good on conditions.

On the rentals, I went and checked if we have senior flex and we do not. The regular shafts we have are pretty whippy so I think those will work ok for you. We have Srixon and Cleveland for our standard rentals and are getting the Callaway Mavericks here in a few weeks so maybe those would be best for you. They will be in good shape for sure being brand new! Just let the guys at the counter know when you check-in.

If you haven’t done the drive from Anchorage to Girdwood it is one of the most beautiful stretches of highway I’ve been around. It’ll be an awesome trip for sure!! We are on the south side of town so it’ll be easy to access us from Girdwood. If you like beer, be sure to stop at Girdwood Brewing. One of my favorite breweries in the state!

If you have extra time, Moose Run’s Creek Course is a great track as is Settler’s Bay in Wasilla. A bit of a drive but worth it. It’s a little less challenging then us and the Creek course but it’s got some pretty good views from the clubhouse.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Otherwise, feel free to give us a call a couple days ahead of time to check on conditions, etc. We unfortunately don’t do tee times for singles but again, if you head out whenever you are ready, we won’t have any problem getting you on the course that time of year.

Nick Brennan

Administrative Assistant

logo paw middle 20%

907-522-7824 (o)

907-522-3326 (f)

Now that is some customer service!

Cabot golf is only one stop on the Cabot Trail. Fantastic family and couples destination with the scenery, distillery, amazing food.

Sorry, I’m extremely bias haha Cape Breton has quite a bit to offer as a destination outside of golf.

As much as I enjoyed the course (they were fantastic) I would have to say that the overall experience for Cabot Links was somewhat disappointing. The restaurants at the course aren't great and there's not too much around locally for food as well as things for a non golfer to do. Plus unless it's improved the service at the resort was not very impressive.

That's not a good thing to read about Cabot. Sorry it was disappointing.

As much as I enjoyed the course (they were fantastic) I would have to say that the overall experience for Cabot Links was somewhat disappointing. The restaurants at the course aren't great and there's not too much around locally for food as well as things for a non golfer to do. Plus unless it's improved the service at the resort was not very impressive.

Inverness itself doesn't have much outside of the course. Really the town is the resort. However the Cabot Trail and Cape Breton as a whole, I couldn't disagree more regarding other activities.

Back