Best Private Course Within 1/2 Hour Of Your House

There are a ton of private courses within a 1/2 hour of my house that I’ve not only never played, but haven’t even seen:

Wolferts Roost
Schuyler Meadows
Country Club of Troy
Pinehaven
Albany Country Club
Mohawk Golf Club

Of the ones I’ve played, I like Shaker Ridge Country Club the best.

Well this is about 2min from my parents house where I grew up. Everytime I fly into the northeast (specifically teterboro or Newark) you fly right over this place. And regardless of the time of year it always looks amazing. I biked over to it this summer and asked to play a round. They politely said no thank you. Lol

http://www.lookawaygc.com

Cordevalle, it was a PGA Tour stop until recently.

Hardscrabble CC in Fort Smith, AR

It was where the Fort Smith Classic was held at every year until 2011.
That was a Nationwide Tour event (Web.com).

My childhood hometown course would be Hot Springs CC.

That's where the Arkansas USGA qualifier is held at every year.

TPC Riverhighlands

Yellowstone Country Club for me. I think it is #7 or #8 on Golf Digest's list of best courses in Montana. 30 minutes doesn't give you a lot of choices in this area.

Way too many private courses in my area. Winged Foot is #1 (both West and East are in Top 100) but a lot of others aren't far behind.

From a national perspective that's pretty easy here in Louisville, it's gotta be Valhalla.

Black Rock is about 40 minutes.

Augusta National

As the other central Ohio folks have said- Muirfield, Scioto, Double Eagle, and New Albany-- I've got contacts at all of them, the timing just hasn't meshed up well for me to get out on any of them.

Definitely would like to play Palma Ceia but I've never been there but they do host some big tournaments yearly that has some Senior Tour players play.

Gotta be Buckhorn Springs I think!!

Only one I know of within 30 minutes of me is Bear Creek Golf Club, which is where they do the PGA Q School at every year. I played it once a LONG time ago, and don't remember much about it, other than it being really tough.

Quail Hollow is five minutes from my house.I drive by it every morning. Also Charlotte CC is a heck of course.

Pine Valley is an hour away. Hidden Creek is a nice Coore/Crenshaw layout about 30 minutes away and about 40 minutes away is highly rated Galloway National.

Nothing within 30 mins, but within an hour is Money Hill GCC in Abita Springs, LA.

Virginia CC in Long Beach, CA. Super exclusive and members include:

DnqLwwiU0AAW5TX.jpg

DnqLwwhUwAEDf1I.jpg

Lockport Town & Country Club

The Country Club in Brookline, MA... legendary. I caddied for a few years and played about 50 rounds so I am lucky that I found a backdoor into playing there. Otherwise, see yah later... its a super exclusive place.

Kittansett CC, Bay Club, New Bedford CC. I couldn't name just one. Acushnet, Massachusetts

I know a few people that I could get on Muirfield with, but the cost is rather prohibitive unless someone is feeling generous. I also know somebody (Worthington Industries) that I could probably play Double Eagle with but he hasn't offered and I'm not going to put him on the spot. I got to play Scioto when a friend won a round for 3 guests to be played with a member. I know a few people with money and connections while I, unfortunately, have neither.

Muirfield you say? You said we should get together for a round next spring.. haha

Muirfield you say? You said we should get together for a round next spring.. haha

We do need to get together for a round for sure. I'll need to start saving now for Muirfield. It'll be close to the same cost as the Ultimate Weekend of Golf and we wont get a set irons with fantastic True Temper shafts at the end of it. Hope you're doing well Nerdy_81.

We did the best public courses that are local to you: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...t-Public-Course-Within-1-2-Hour-Of-Your-House

This may be slightly more imaginative since we may not be members or have had the opportunity to play a private course, but what's the best private course near you?

My vote is for Baltusrol. 2 18 hole courses and I've walked both of them; the Lower for the 2016 PGA and the Upper for the 2018 US Junior Am

I haven't played any of these courses but Worcester Country Club looks beautiful and has a lot of history. "The course hosted the first Ryder Cup in 1927, and was the site of the 1925 U.S. Open" from the Wiki page.
There is also Pleasant Valley in Sutton which used to host a PGA tour event up to 5-10 years ago.

We also have some really nice Semi Private courses like Kettle Brook and Wachusett Country club which are sister courses.

Back