Best video I've seen on early extension

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
This problem has crept into my game massively over the last 4 years. Have seen some old vids of my swing and it certainly wasn't as prevalent, but I'm terrible right now extending early. I thought this video has been the best one in getting my body to reduce this and wanted to share. May help someone else, you never know

Mike Malaska is one of the most common sense instructors online. You should check out some of his other instruction videos on Youtube. Thanks for posting that one.

Thanks for posting. Pulling the cables, I had to go grab a club and take it back slow just to see my hip turn. Good video

That was a great video. Thanks.

Definitely a great visual. Made me think on a few things on my swing as well. Might have to try something out in practice outside once it gets a bit warmer.

Super informative, gotta get more of those videos in

This. Was. Amazing.

For real, I needed this, so kudos to you for posting it!

Forgot how much I liked and understood Malaska.

This problem has crept into my game massively over the last 4 years. Have seen some old vids of my swing and it certainly wasn't as prevalent, but I'm terrible right now extending early. I thought this video has been the best one in getting my body to reduce this and wanted to share. May help someone else, you never know

Best tip I ever saw came from a club fitter. They will try to put early extenders in a lighter shaft because early extension comes from deceleration. Hands slow down and club head is going the same speed so it gets out ahead of the hands. To me this said my problem is not some positional issue it's a deceleration issue. So I focus on swinging through the ball.

Big fan of Eric's stuff. That is a great drill and as someone who is guilty of early extension I will be trying that. Thanks!

Big fan of Eric's stuff. That is a great drill and as someone who is guilty of early extension I will be trying that. Thanks!
You and me both. :(

Mike Malaska is one of the most common sense instructors online. You should check out some of his other instruction videos on Youtube. Thanks for posting that one.

I've seen a couple, but honestly haven't watched too much instruction. There's so many things I do wrong in there that it can become paralysis by analysis. Will continue to check him out for sure. I really do like his style.

This. Was. Amazing.

For real, I needed this, so kudos to you for posting it!

Forgot how much I liked and understood Malaska.

I love how it, intuitively, gets the weight over the right spots. My takeaway has been jacked for years, and this helped it out a lot instantaneously. Feel like I'm pulling back that right hip, which really all it does is turn correctly into the right heel. I've got a lot of work to do on the through swing, feeling like I'm pulling back the left hip but early signs were good too.

It seems to solve the issue while making me focus on something else and simple.

You and me both. :(
:( I never knew it until last year when everything went bad on me. Getting on video and a lesson or two was eye opening.

:( I never knew it until last year when everything went bad on me. Getting on video and a lesson or two was eye opening.
I think you had issues with the "s" word? For me working on this yesterday had me hitting the ball less off the toe. Even had a couple "s" in there with 7i, which has not been common for me at all. But for me it may just be a product of having previously to raise my hands because I didn't have enough room for them, causing the toe strikes. I can imagine early extension also causing heel strikes if you don't raise the hands?

I think you had issues with the "s" word? For me working on this yesterday had me hitting the ball less off the toe. Even had a couple "s" in there with 7i, which has not been common for me at all. But for me it may just be a product of having previously to raise my hands because I didn't have enough room for them, causing the toe strikes. I can imagine early extension also causing heel strikes if you don't raise the hands?
Yes I did. Bad and they would come and go in the middle of the round. The biggest issue was not understanding why it was happening. I have learned a lot about the golf swing this past 6-8 months. Poor balance and doing exactly what he was talking about stabilizing the right hip was making all sorts of bad happen. I'm not sure raising the hands was a part of my issue.

Yes I did. Bad and they would come and go in the middle of the round. The biggest issue was not understanding why it was happening. I have learned a lot about the golf swing this past 6-8 months. Poor balance and doing exactly what he was talking about stabilizing the right hip was making all sorts of bad happen. I'm not sure raising the hands was a part of my issue.
Makes a lot of sense. Hope this helps man.

Good stuff. I know this has been an issue for me in the past. I will put some dry land assessment into this. My current inconsistency is frustrating, and this might be at least a piece of the puzzle. 👍

Love Malaska’a teaching style.

I think a light bulb just went off after this vid. I've been fighting getting lazy and not doing a full shoulder turn which then screws with my timing and sequencing. After watching this and trying the drill a bit indoors, I think the issue hasn't been the upper body but the lower body. I've never had problems with clearing the hips on impact. Probably that and the lag I generate are my strengths but not 'equalizing' my swing for lack of a better word so that my right hip shifts backwards on my backswing as much as my left hip shifts backwards on my downswing might be the root cause. Need less upper rotation at that point and easier to keep my hands in front of my chest with a deeper right hip.

This was awesome! I've struggled with early extension for ages and I'm really wondering if this is why. Going back to high school golf I was taught to try and keep a quiet body and I don't think I get much movement in my hips, especially on the backswing. I need to hit some balls pronto!

There’s a reason Malaska is a top teacher, great video!

Really really good... I watch a lot of his stuff. Missed this one because it was someone else's channel.. haha. Thank you.

Great video. This is something that I struggle with and these drills look like they would help. Thanks for sharing!

Wow - I've worked on stabilizing my left hip for years and I know I thrust my pelvis towards the ball on the downswing. This is magic! Damn I wish the range was open!!!

Wow - I've worked on stabilizing my left hip for years and I know I thrust my pelvis towards the ball on the downswing. This is magic! Damn I wish the range was open!!!
Me too man. I hump the goat like a madman. This helps, because it gets you right without making you focus on your faults really. Just a natural movement (walking backwards or pulling back from the ground, either one) gets you closer to the right spots. Glad you liked it too

Good swing thought, I will try that when our range opens up! thanks!

Wow this is really REALLY good. Very much simplified with his demonstrations and drills. Maybe I’ll be able to get out in the yard sometime before the sun goes down and try this.

Back