MD177

Reaction score
Handicap
GAM: 18.8
I kinda struggle with this one a little. A part of me wants to play white to have a great chance to score good like I did last weekend. Shot an 83. We play blues on my league and I normally score 90's. I play the blues most of the time because I take the oppurtunity to practice for my league since I only play once/week. This is my 3rd full year of golf and am not a long hitter by any means, average driver 220-240 yards but if I get a hold of it can get to 270-280 yards. 7iron about 150 yards. What are your thoughts when picking what tees to play? And what's more important to you? Score good on white or struggle on blues? Hope this post makes some sense.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Really depends on the personality of the person, for me I like the challenge and if I were you would play from the blues, but if you like the better score then go for the white. There's nothing wrong with shooting low scores!

I kinda struggle with this one a little. A part of me wants to play white to have a great chance to score good like I did last weekend. Shot an 83. We play blues on my league and I normally score 90's. I play the blues most of the time because I take the oppurtunity to practice for my league since I only play once/week. This is my 3rd full year of golf and am not a long hitter by any means, average driver 220-240 yards but if I get a hold of it can get to 270-280 yards. 7iron about 150 yards. What are your thoughts when picking what tees to play? And what's more important to you? Score good on white or struggle on blues? Hope this post makes some sense.

Well I like to play from the blue (mid tees) because it makes the course more of a challenge but the whites (farthest forward) are better for me right now, I don't care if I look like a loser playing from the front but I enjoy the round more!

It's all about what you have more fun doing.

I play both depending on what I wanna work on. But if I'm hitting driver at all usually the tips. But I'm a bit of a long knocker. But Today I played the whites and only hit driver like 4 holes. And hit 4 iron or 2 hybo off the tees. Most important thing is that you have fun. If you're gonna get frustrated playing the blues I'd play the whites.

I am in a very similar situation with my abilities. I like to mix it up and play both. It makes can make the same old course feel new again.

Golf should be fun, so play wherever you think you would enjoy yourself. Leave the ego out of it, everyone loves hitting wedges into greens instead of mid irons. You could also alternate and switch every time you play.

Based on your AVERAGE yardages, you should be playing from the white tees (5900 - 6200 yds length).

BTW, I also take into consideration the Par/Slope rating and yardage of the course when deciding what tees to play. I try to play 6200-6600 yards Par 72 and 70+/130+.

I pretty much just the whites, unless I'm playing with someone who want's to play from the blues.

I would rather play blues or blacks sometimes because it keeps me out of trouble.

I like to have fun on the course and at the same challenge myelf. I shot an 83 on whites last Sat and felt good. If I start playing whites, I'm just concern that during league play, I won't score good on blues. :(

When in doubt - move up a tee.

I like to have fun on the course and at the same challenge myelf. I shot an 83 on whites last Sat and felt good. If I start playing whites, I'm just concern that during league play, I won't score good on blues. :(

In that case, play the blues as practice for your league days.

Thanks guys for the inputs. :)

I play the whites and my distances are about the same as yours. I really struggle on longer courses so playing the blues for me just wouldn't be as much fun. Once I get better I might try moving back sometimes but that's probably a long way off.

But if your league plays the blues and you don't get a lot of practice time, I think you might be better off sticking to the blues. At least then you'll be familiar with the distances on league nights and will probably shoot better scores than you would if you practiced on whites.

Bottom line, the choice depends on what makes you the most comfortable and lets you have the most fun.

My biggest problem with going from the whites which I normally play right now to the blues isn't the par 4's and par 5's it the par 3's. My biggest problem area of my game right now is the 175ish-205ish yards to the pin and that what the playing from the blues makes most of the par 3's.

Also because I play most of the games with my dad who doesn't hit it as far as he used to we both usually play from the whites.

So I play from the whites because its more fun to play from the same tees as everyone else and playing from the blues would lead to increase frustration.

I won't play the whites, I always play tips. It's not an ego thing, it is more of what I think is fair. I hit the ball a long way, so if I am playing any of the upper tees, I just feel it isn't as fun for me and in a way isn't fair. With that said, I always encourage others to play whatever tees are most comfortable for them. If I'm playing with someone who wants to play the whites, I'll park the cart at the whites and walk my way back to the blues...I make the extra effort for them, I don't want them to be inconvenienced by my choice to play the tips.

I normally play the whites when with friends but play the blues (sometimes sing the blues while doing so) when alone. My local course has 5 tee boxes so I opted to play the black back tees once. It got to the point where I started laughing at the distance I had left into some par 4's. It gave my long irons a work out.
I am considering playing the red tees just to see what it is like. Anyone ever play the front?

I played the reds once with an older guy. It was like being on a completely different golf course. I wouldn't mind doing it again some day but I need the practice from the longer tees right now.

Admittedly, I'm a little weird (in all aspects), but I always play from the tips. At my home course, there are only 2 options, but when I pay money for a course (and I'm super poor hence cheap), I always play the entire course. I'd rather shoot a few strokes worse from the tips than play from some other colour. I once played John Daly's course in Niagara Falls (good, not great) with 3 seniors who drove an hour every weekend to get together and play there from the front tees; I played the backs anyway, even though I had to walk a bit and make them wait for me to tee off.

In your case though, I'd play the whites whenever possible because you can gain confidence and have more fun. Then just play blues on competition days and be happy if you play well (irregardless of score). Enjoy!

P.S. I am a single digit capper, and get annoyed with bogeys, so take my advice with some salt.

That's the whole idea behind different tees on golf courses LOL.

I wouldn't completely agree with that. Around here the only real difference between the blues and whites is the yardage. They are directly in line with each other so playing the blues wouldn't change the line any. The reds are a different story. They are put to one side or the other most of the time so you are playing your tee shot from a completely different angle. I've never played on a course yet where they had five different tee boxes so I wouldn't know how those are set up.

I wouldn't completely agree with that. Around here the only real difference between the blues and whites is the yardage. They are directly in line with each other so playing the blues wouldn't change the line any. The reds are a different story. They are put to one side or the other most of the time so you are playing your tee shot from a completely different angle. I've never played on a course yet where they had five different tee boxes so I wouldn't know how those are set up.

Not every course sets up their tees effectively. Some take the lazy route and make the difference simple yardage. A well designed course makes each tee a "different" course unto itself.

Play to whatever you feel most comfotable with. Playing the more challenging tee does not always help your game!

Back