MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We’ve all taken a ride on this horrible locomotive from time to time in our golf round. Sometimes they’re great bogeys based on where you were off the tee, and sometimes you hop aboard after a great drive, but hit a terrible approach shot and leave yourself an impossible two putt. My personal favorite was yesterday, where I rattled off six bogeys in a row, with 4 of them being three putts. Greens were wildly inconsistent in terms of speed and bumpiness. They looked like they had been aerated about two weeks ago, and needless to say, they hadn’t healed great yet.

What are your tips and tricks to stop the bleeding and get back to making pars?

Oh this is good. Im looking forward to responses.
If you are a bogey golfer, you could view it as double bogey train too I guess.

Oh this is good. Im looking forward to responses.
If you are a bogey golfer, you could view it as double bogey train too I guess.

Of course, adapt as needed by current skill level.

I try take a club off the tee that I know I can make a good shot with that will be in play in the fairway, then on the approach shot use the same principal even if it means being short of the green in good position. I have enough confidence in my short game that I can get up and down if short and one putt for the par.
Doesn't always work but if has broken the bogie cycle for me before.

This thread is going to give me cold sweats hahahaha

Alcohol? haha! I like to focus on everything else if I've made more than one bogey in a row. Get out of my own damn way and let my abilities take over for a bit.

AT my cap, Bogey is OK. But yeah, getting on the double or triple train is terrible.

I was in a two day event this year, was in 3rd, in my flight, after first day.

Started second day triple, triple, triple, double.

Talk about a bad ride.

Managed to fight back and get 4th.

CHOOO CHOOOOOOOOOO I ride it all the time and just embrace the suck

My last round started off double-double-par-double...all I could do was laugh and continue onward.

I am comfortably on the bogey train. I have been able to keep myself away from triple bogeys my last 2 rounds, but have had a few doubles each time out. More beers if I am tripling more than a few times in a round.

We’ve all taken a ride on this horrible locomotive from time to time in our golf round. Sometimes they’re great bogeys based on where you were off the tee, and sometimes you hop aboard after a great drive, but hit a terrible approach shot and leave yourself an impossible two putt. My personal favorite was yesterday, where I rattled off six bogeys in a row, with 4 of them being three putts. Greens were wildly inconsistent in terms of speed and bumpiness. They looked like they had been aerated about two weeks ago, and needless to say, they hadn’t healed great yet.

Depends on course, hope for a Par 5 and play really conservative

Dial it back off the tee get it in play then get close to the green simple up and down

fire at the middle of greens

really depends on what gets you the bog

my ticket aboard this god forsaken transportation is usually stamped by missed gir. so if i want to hop the f- off, i gotta do whatever i can to hit the green. that usually means slapping myself upside the head to remember the philosophy "back minus 5." find the yardage to the back of the green, take off 5 yards, and that's the number. no more shooting flags, no more getting cute, just get the damn ball on the damn green. a couple easy 2-putt pars under my belt and i'm usually calmed down enough to start being stupid again.

that usually means slapping myself upside the head to remember the philosophy "back minus 5." find the yardage to the back of the green, take off 5 yards, and that's the number.

Interesting. I've always heard shoot for the middle of the green, but I kinda like this philosophy a little more. I'm going to give this a shot on my next round.

I experienced that opposite of this thread. I was on the Bogey, Birdie, par, bogey, par train last week. I never wanted to get off that train! But reality came back.

Sometimes I can be the damn conductor of this train. To get off though, typically I like to try to get myself into a good partial swing distance and just get a nice controlled swing into the green. That way I can typically get an easy enough two putt to get a par.

I suppose the perspective on any given golf shot is to try an achieve full focus and as solid a routine (proven on the range and in prior practice) as possible to get your ticket off the train.

Sometimes golf just throws you some curve balls....too many variable to deal with in this game. I think the key is to recognize this and know that mistakes WILL HAPPEN, and that your reaction to them is likely to impact your next shot.

Hence why pros always throw out these gems in their interviews:
"Stay in the present."

"Trust the process"

Maybe turn that bogey train......into the SOUL TRAIN!!! Hahaha

Great question and I have no idea. I've been aboard that train way too much this season. Usually I just keep playing my game and hope that things change. It seems like any time I tried making some kind of change it got even worse.

I've learned to never b*tch about being on the bogey train because as soon as I do, I'll make a double.

I do everything I can to keep the ball in front of me. Stop the bleeding, no hero shots.

Relatively speaking I'll move it the double train. Or heck even the triple. Id be more than happy (curently) with a lot of bogeys and just enough pars (perhaps a bird) to stay under 90. Althoug its never a train because it all falls whenever wherever and not at all necessarily in a row.

Honestly at any level what can ya do? Just make the same good choices (assuming you were doing that in the first place) and simply let the cards fall where they may as for executing better or not. If there was something that could be done about failing to execute like as if turning on some light switch we'd all be single cappers.

You fail at a shot...or two...and.honestly what could you really have done different other than not fail at it. This is why we are different level cappers. Perhaps a lower level capper could take safer routes than what they are use to when their play inst working so well. But thats about it imo.

After a crap tee shot, if I can salvage a bogey I'm happy. Life shouldn't be about getting that third shot from 70 yds to within 6 feet, although it does happen every now and again and I end up with a par. Or having to smoke a 4H from just over 200 yds to reach a green in regulation.

I do everything I can to keep the ball in front of me. Stop the bleeding, no hero shots.

Same here. Even if it means coming up 15 or 20 yards short of the green to take trouble out of play. Hit the safe shots and just try to put it close enough for an easy 2 putt

Life shouldn't be about getting that third shot from 70 yds to within 6 feet

This is how I do it. I remind myself it's supposed to be imperfect, and it's not what's most important. That's all.

I can make swing adjustments, grip, etc, etc., but when I'm out there living in gratitude a bad streak usually turns itself around.

I purchased a ticket on the dreadful train last weekend...ugh.
I got off the train by slowing down just a little. I am not a speed player, but I do play ready golf.
Sometimes I get into that ready golfer mode a little too much and rushing costs me.
So, I take a breath before the shots, play the hole a little more conservative than normal and concentrate on my tempo.

ok so one my rounds this past weekend Im sitting (very well for me) at +4 after 7 holes happily chugging along. I went par, birdy, double, bogey, double, par, par. Ball striking going well enough.

So I get on the par5 8th hole. I proceed to hook tee shot long but way left and onto adjacent hole. Now im looking at a 7iron to get over trees back onto my hole. This was not at all a special nor difficult nor risk shot, but a basic simple 7iron (in this scenario) gets the job done and it doesn't even have to place precisely anywhere so nothing but a basic 7iron with no real target except for an entire fairway. But I fail and chunk the darn thing. Where does it go? under the trees and now I have no room to swing the club barely and a difficult play just to get out. So I now can only "try" to punch back across onto my fairway but with this very limited room to swing. I do get on the ball but blade/toe and it goes running across the fw into the trees on the other side. Now I rush over (so as not to cause delay) to go and punch out of there. I do so decently enough. Now hitting 5 from about still 200 out I push the ball and end up behind a tree further down nearer the green. From there hiting 6 tree in my way of the green I pitch to the front ok enough. I then chip on a slopping away green and 2 putt for a 9.

So here I am at plus 4 after 7 and in one hole Im now plus 9. What can really we do any different but simply to not fail at executing basic shots. No freaking magic formula, no special instructions, no mismanagement to alter , nothing to suggest I should have done differently. etc,etc just an inability to consistently perform basic ball striking. There is no "how do you prevent this" other than to say its simply a matter of fails vs executing and practicing and trying. . Doing one too many times vs the other is why some are 5 caps while others 10 and others 20 etc....

Back