I just throw my strike ball for spares, I tried a plastic ball and stuff it just didn't work for me. For the ten, I just flatten my wrist and spread my pinkie wide and have my index finger tight in.
Do you use an IT? I resisted it for awhile and finally my guy convinced me to give it a shot about 3 years ago. Couldn't be happier. Highly recommend.

Yes, I do use an interchangeable thumb. Turbo is what I use currently. I have tried using the flatten wrist etc, but when on sport patterns that just doesn't work for me with strong assymetric balls that I typically use. I have just always used spare ball to counter act that.

Anytime I struggle with 10 pins I bring my index and pinky fingers in tight creating a platform to help almost palm the ball. Then I start my shot with the wrist slightly broken so that I'm almost pointing my thumb at the 11 oclock position (righty). That helps me promotes a release thats straighter up the back of the ball creating a long old school follow though.

Think I just need to find some time in my golf schedule to get some bowling practice. Since starting back to golf last summer, I haven't been to a center to practice one time. :eek::dohanim::ROFLMAO:

Yes, I do use an interchangeable thumb. Turbo is what I use currently. I have tried using the flatten wrist etc, but when on sport patterns that just doesn't work for me with strong assymetric balls that I typically use. I have just always used spare ball to counter act that.

Spare ball is the only one I don't use an interchangeable thumb on. Since I'm not looking for massive ball movement or rev rate, just used tape for me had always been the best way to go for making adjustments with temp/moisture.

Think I just need to find some time in my golf schedule to get some bowling practice. Since starting back to golf last summer, I haven't been to a center to practice one time. :eek::dohanim::ROFLMAO:

LOL what?!?!??! Bowling is like golf you need to actually practice??!?!?!

I often wonder how good I could actually be with practice. I think I average about once a year or so of practice. I just show up at league twice a week and that's it. My center sets up last years nationals shot as we approach the time our local group goes so I may hit that this year. Then after that at end of June usually don't pick up a ball until leagues start back up. I like golf more

Spare ball is the only one I don't use an interchangeable thumb on. Since I'm not looking for massive ball movement or rev rate, just used tape for me had always been the best way to go for making adjustments with temp/moisture.

LOL what?!?!??! Bowling is like golf you need to actually practice??!?!?!
I may do that with a new spare ball. My Roto Grip red spare ball has been repaired for cracking around fingers and thumb twice and it's cracking again.

Used to practice just about every weekend. I guess that's why my average is down a good 8-9 pins this year vs last. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just found this thread. I've been a league bowler since I was 18.

Arsenal:
Storm Phase 2
Roto Grip Halo Pearl
900 Global DCT
900 Global DCT Pearl

Best league average for a season was 227, but I've been struggling with consistency over that last three years and missing way too many 10 pins.

Funny but just like golf, if your tempo is off, so is your game.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Struggled again...seems to be common occurrence :rolleyes:

235-169-198 for a bleh 602

Smashed pocket 12 times in the first game. Missed a 7 pin and a 10 pin. Oy vay.

Game 2 couple splits and couldn't get away from single pins.

Game 3 was going Dutch left lane couldn't miss, right lane couldn't get 10 pin out. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
224-205-244
Game 1 Left a 4-5 in 6th frame, just missed the 5. Same frame buddy one pair over did exact same thing.
Game 2 started w/ 7-10 then proceeded to leave 5 ten pins
Game 3 Changed balls and moved right to come in a little straighter tugged 2 shots to leave 36 and 3610 one 10 pin and the rest strikes.

Only opens were the 2 splits

This popped up on my feed this morning, this was 2 years ago today. :cool:
Met Belmo (Jason Belmonte for those that might not know) and on same night bowled 300 using a ball he helped design with Storm.

IMG_0213.jpg

Struggled again...seems to be common occurrence :rolleyes:

235-169-198 for a bleh 602

Smashed pocket 12 times in the first game. Missed a 7 pin and a 10 pin. Oy vay.

Game 2 couple splits and couldn't get away from single pins.

Game 3 was going Dutch left lane couldn't miss, right lane couldn't get 10 pin out.
I've had similar week's. Sometimes it seems like there is nothing that works.

This popped up on my feed this morning, this was 2 years ago today. :cool:
Met Belmo (Jason Belmonte for those that might not know) and on same night bowled 300 using a ball he helped design with Storm.

View attachment 8929579
Timeless ? Could never get that ball to consistently move at the same point. Now the Phase 2, that's a ball for the ages.

Timeless ? Could never get that ball to consistently move at the same point. Now the Phase 2, that's a ball for the ages.

No the Drive that I'm holding ?
Timeless was a horrible ball.

Decent series last night. 257-195-234 = 686

Wow...what could have been in that 2nd game. I just couldn't get that 10 pin to go down. I had 4 of them and had a pocket smash 7-10 split in the 6th frame that really hurt.
Made a ball change in the 3rd and the 10 was less of a problem.

Had a really good week. Tues night had one open in game 1, a 6-7 split. 236-258-238/732 Made 100 on 10th frame pot. Avg moved up to 226.

Wed night was even better. For the night left two 4s, two 7s, a 9 and a 3 pin(tugged that one). 247-267-258/772 Unfortunately one of those 7 pins was in the 10th of game 2. Had the first nine, left a 7 on the 10th and then MISSED it. So frustrating. Still great night. Plus made it through all 7 brackets and won 5, 2nd in 2. Avg bumped up to 231 for this league.

Very nice shooting @Datkison

No bowling for me last night. After my weekend road trip to New Orleans, I had taken all of my bowling balls and equipment out of the trunk. Put my balls back in trunk yesterday morning, but did not grab my backpack that had my shoes, thumb inserts, tape etc. Got to the center went into my trunk grabbed my 2 3-ball rollers and started walking up to the entrance. Realized half way, something did not feel right, no back pack on me. :ROFLMAO::dohanim:

Monday night and tried a new ball, RotoGrip Halo Pearl.

238, 220, 213 for a 671.

If it wasn't for two missed 10 pins and a huge 4-6-7-9-10 split when I eased up on my release, I'd of had a 700.

Never been a big fan of pearls, but my pso suggested taking the cover to 2000 to smooth it out a bit. It worked very well and is a great compliment to my Phase 2.

Lines are similar, but the shape and breakpoints of each are complimentary.

For reference I start on 32, throw across 17 to about 11 for the Halo and 30/15/10 for phase 2

Phase 2 is a nice smooth arc with a hard continuous move to the pins and the Halo Pearl is more of a hockey stick shape.

Very nice shooting @Datkison

No bowling for me last night. After my weekend road trip to New Orleans, I had taken all of my bowling balls and equipment out of the trunk. Put my balls back in trunk yesterday morning, but did not grab my backpack that had my shoes, thumb inserts, tape etc. Got to the center went into my trunk grabbed my 2 3-ball rollers and started walking up to the entrance. Realized half way, something did not feel right, no back pack on me. :ROFLMAO::dohanim:

Thanks, it was a good night.
Did the same about a month ago but I have two Vise 3 ball totes and one has the accessory pack with shoes and all. Decided I'd just bring the one bag that night and got there and had grabbed the wrong one. Fortunately I live just 5 minutes from that house so ran home and back and still made it for a couple minutes of practice.

Yet another so-so consistent night. But, I will certainly take consistency over the roller coaster weeks.

217-214-223-210 = 864

Lanes were extremely tight and to make matters worse, 2 guys on other team using urethane. :dohanim:

Just stayed well left of them and was not an issue. Spare game was on fire last night, 9 for 9 on single pins to go along with only 4 opens with were splits. 2 of those splits, 2-4-8-10 and 2-4-10 I bounced the 2 pin off the wall and it went right around the 10 pin almost converting. But as one of my older team mates would say, almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tuesday night was a bit rough. Missed two 7s and a 10. Plus not great carry. 185-207-248/640

Wed was better but game 2 started with a 6,10,9 and then 7 pin.Finally struck in the fifth. missed a 10 in the first game 3. 268-226-233/727

I had a classic "brain melt" type of night on Monday:

279 w/10 pin in 8th frame
Last game lose my tempo first two balls, split and washout and then no breaks on good hits for a awesome 170!

Still a 718, but so disappointing...

Subbed on Tuesday night, pretty good night ovreall. Spare shooting was definitely solid. 10/10 on all makeable spares and 2 splits on the night. Both of which to start game 3 and then a ball change.

227-244-205 = 676

Got a new ball, Roto Grip Nuclear Cell, and it was awesome right out of the box with just a very light scuff to take some of the polish off.

Wednesday night started practice off with the new ball. Ball got stuck in the pit after the 1st frame of the night. Ball came back with nicks literally all over the ball. :mad: So damned pissed about that. House is AMF and they won't do 💩 about it as they don't maintain their equipment any way. They will give to the shop and resurface for me, but then I have to leave it with them for a week. Will just have to resurface it myself at home. :rolleyes: Thankfully season is only another 8 or 9 weeks and I am done with bowling in that center.

Anyway, 247-184-202 on the night for a 633. Again solid on spares 14/14 on all spares with 6 of them being 10 pins in game 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Wednesday night started practice off with the new ball. Ball got stuck in the pit after the 1st frame of the night. Ball came back with nicks literally all over the ball. :mad: So damned pissed about that. House is AMF and they won't do 💩 about it as they don't maintain their equipment any way. They will give to the shop and resurface for me, but then I have to leave it with them for a week. Will just have to resurface it myself at home. :rolleyes: Thankfully season is only another 8 or 9 weeks and I am done with bowling in that center.

Anyway, 247-148-202 on the night for a 633. Again solid on spares 14/14 on all spares with 6 of them being 10 pins in game 2 and 3.
That's so annoying, I had the same thing happen a few years ago with the Eruption Pro, first night, first ball in practice, it came back with a 1" chunk missing just to right of finger. Luckily they replaced it for me. Tough game 2 huh?

That's so annoying, I had the same thing happen a few years ago with the Eruption Pro, first night, first ball in practice, it came back with a 1" chunk missing just to right of finger. Luckily they replaced it for me. Tough game 2 huh?
D’oh! Should be 184. That’s dyslexia for ya. 😂

Aaaaannnnnddddd bowling centers are closed indefinitely and who knows how the rest of league will be dealt with. So bummed. I was in first for singles this round and while its early I liked how I've been bowling.

Back