Was a rough start was averaging 185, went 739, 629, 603 to get to an even 200

Been on a bit of a tear here lately, putting some good games and series together.

Last night seemed like I had a hard time missing the pocket :ROFLMAO: Went high a few times for a 6-7-10 split and 2 6-10's, otherwise I was 10 pin, 8 pin or 7 pin as my leaves.

237-243-247-246 for a really nice 973

Last week was close to the same, carry not going my way 236-236-263-218 for 953

Weeks prior 837,853,876. I will take it the way my game has dropped off in the last year. :cool:👊

I've been bowling well in games 1 and 3 lately, but for some reason really have struggled in the 2nd game. I'm talking 220's to 150-160 for whatever reason. This past week I finally put it together all three games. I had a 206-179-201, but the second game was actually my best. How's that you ask?

I started spare, strike, strike and then a pocket 7-10 split. Then two more strikes and another pocket 7-10. Frustrating as hell. I likely would have been in the 220-230 range on that game.

I've been bowling well in games 1 and 3 lately, but for some reason really have struggled in the 2nd game. I'm talking 220's to 150-160 for whatever reason. This past week I finally put it together all three games. I had a 206-179-201, but the second game was actually my best. How's that you ask?

I started spare, strike, strike and then a pocket 7-10 split. Then two more strikes and another pocket 7-10. Frustrating as hell. I likely would have been in the 220-230 range on that game.
Really hate those days when you pound the pocket and carry is just not going your way. 🤯

Started out last night really hot, then the carry bug bit me too!

247-212-204-214 = 877

I will take it though. The last 7 weeks I have been averaging much closer to my normal of 225! Through 28 games I am keeping my splits to a minimum, only 16 in those 28 games and converting 95% of my single pin spares, missing 3 of 34 10 pins in that same span.

Had a so-so week last week with an 837 with a low game if 165....woof.

Great week this week after I got past first game where had 2 pocket 7-10's
191-237-279-277 for a real nice 984!!

I've been in a real funk lately, the whole team is in fact. We're four weeks into the second half of our season and are 2-14. We lost the last two games last week by 2 pins and 7 pins. Ouch.

It's been 10 months since we've bowled out here, except for one week they reopened and then before we bowled again closed back up. I miss it but also don't mind being home each night.

Still waiting for bowling in NCAL to open back up.

Another great night on the lanes last night, had chance for 300 game 2 and 800 was within reach, just couldn't get it done in game 3.

237-289-253-203 for a nice 982 set

Last 3 games from last week and first 3 from last night is one of my best stretch of 6 games that I can remember. 793 last week and 779 this week.

Another great night on the lanes last night, had chance for 300 game 2 and 800 was within reach, just couldn't get it done in game 3.

237-289-253-203 for a nice 982 set

Last 3 games from last week and first 3 from last night is one of my best stretch of 6 games that I can remember. 793 last week and 779 this week.

Nice !!

I am really missing the bowling due to my knee replacements. Oh well....maybe next season.

I forgot about this thread! Glad I found it again. I took a year off from bowling last year because of my divorce and getting settled into my new life....but I'm back on the team again this year. Currently have a 191 average, but I bet it sneaks up after this last Wednesday night league. I threw a 214, 268, 206 for a 688 series and it was a clean series, never missed a spare. The crazy thing is, that 268 was probably the best overall game I've ever throw. Even though my highest game ever is a 289, it was wasn't as solid. That 268 SHOULD have been a 300. I never missed the pocket, only one throw was a little light and I had a messenger carry and tap the 9 pin. I started that 268 with 4 in a row, then hammered the pocket in the 5th and left the 8....then hammered the pocket in the 6th and wrapped/left the 10 pin and struck out. Really thought I had a chance for a solid 700+ series, but in the third game my line on the left lane dried out and I didn't adjust quick enough. I had a dutch 200 rolling through 6 frames before I doubled up.

Thinking about added to my ball colletion....it's been a while since I got a new one.

Had league last night. I bowled well, but the team didn't win much. We won the first game, but lost the last two and overall by 8 pins. We were in 2nd by a 1/2 a game, so we probably dropped a little.

For me....average is up to a 193. I threw a 238-225-206 for a 668 series. So, I have some confidence going into the City Tournament this weekend and next Wednesday. I have singles and doubles on Sunday at 1pm, and then we have the team event during league on Wednesday.

Still thinking about adding a ball, maybe two. Our house tends to either throw a light shot that sounds dry and has massive back end movement, even for someone like me that isn't a cranker with rev. Or just floods the middle and looks like it flows onto the dry and your just skid and doesn't move until right before pins. The ball I have now is a medium oil ball and I like the movement on it. I use to have a heavy oil ball from when I bowled at another location that had a solid heavy oil pattern. When I came here, I could only use it for maybe one game before moving to the ball I have now....but last night I moved three boards to the left and had to really throw hard to keep my line and pocket.

Bottom line, I don't know what I'm going to do other than pick up a new spare ball. :ROFLMAO:

Had league last night. I bowled well, but the team didn't win much. We won the first game, but lost the last two and overall by 8 pins. We were in 2nd by a 1/2 a game, so we probably dropped a little.

For me....average is up to a 193. I threw a 238-225-206 for a 668 series. So, I have some confidence going into the City Tournament this weekend and next Wednesday. I have singles and doubles on Sunday at 1pm, and then we have the team event during league on Wednesday.

Still thinking about adding a ball, maybe two. Our house tends to either throw a light shot that sounds dry and has massive back end movement, even for someone like me that isn't a cranker with rev. Or just floods the middle and looks like it flows onto the dry and your just skid and doesn't move until right before pins. The ball I have now is a medium oil ball and I like the movement on it. I use to have a heavy oil ball from when I bowled at another location that had a solid heavy oil pattern. When I came here, I could only use it for maybe one game before moving to the ball I have now....but last night I moved three boards to the left and had to really throw hard to keep my line and pocket.

Bottom line, I don't know what I'm going to do other than pick up a new spare ball. :ROFLMAO:
Nice shooting the last few weeks. On an average of 190's that is great. Even with lighter oil, seems you are making the right adjustments to keep your ball in the pocket. (y)

Our house puts a lighter pattern and we are a 2nd shift league, so our lanes are almost always torched by the time we bowl our 4 games. I have actually found that I am able to use what is supposed to be a heavy oil asymetric ball on the drier stuff and keep it in play for most of the night.

Nice shooting the last few weeks. On an average of 190's that is great. Even with lighter oil, seems you are making the right adjustments to keep your ball in the pocket. (y)

Our house puts a lighter pattern and we are a 2nd shift league, so our lanes are almost always torched by the time we bowl our 4 games. I have actually found that I am able to use what is supposed to be a heavy oil asymetric ball on the drier stuff and keep it in play for most of the night.

Thanks!

I've been a fan of Motiv balls and was looking at their new release the Jackal Legacy, but I think I had in my mind that the ball will smoke to much after the line dries up. I'll keep my Forza for when it does, but I wasn't sure I wanted to get that much of an asymmetrical back end ball with a light house shot. I don't know. Maybe grab a two to three pin out and keep it more neutral on the drill pattern.

Thanks!

I've been a fan of Motiv balls and was looking at their new release the Jackal Legacy, but I think I had in my mind that the ball will smoke to much after the line dries up. I'll keep my Forza for when it does, but I wasn't sure I wanted to get that much of an asymmetrical back end ball with a light house shot. I don't know. Maybe grab a two to three pin out and keep it more neutral on the drill pattern.
Understood, the thing about using a "heavy oil" or "strong" ball is that it can work depending on the line used and when the ball burns up it's energy and gets into a roll to get to the pocket. (y)

Ball surface can also come into play.

I used to bowl but had to quit after having back fusion surgery in 2012. The Dr. told me that I could still golf if I kept from overswinging but no bowling. It had something to do with the weight of the ball and stretching out while throwing it. I loved to bowl and I still have my shoes and three bags full of bowling balls. I used 7 balls the last few years of bowling. I always had one for the lane conditions where I was bowling. I also had (still have) a spinner which is used to resurface the bowling ball for various oil patterns, etc.

Understood, the thing about using a "heavy oil" or "strong" ball is that it can work depending on the line used and when the ball burns up it's energy and gets into a roll to get to the pocket. (y)

Ball surface can also come into play.
A ball that has too strong of a cover never really gets into the roll phase. It burns up in the front part of the lane and skids into the pocket. Even if it looks like a good ball, the deflection and lack of forward roll will destroy your carry percentage.

I'm still waiting for the alleys to reopen in California.

That 268 SHOULD have been a 300. I never missed the pocket, only one throw was a little light and I had a messenger carry and tap the 9 pin. I started that 268 with 4 in a row, then hammered the pocket in the 5th and left the 8....then hammered the pocket in the 6th and wrapped/left the 10 pin and struck out.
I had a game like that this week. 12 solid shots in the pocket for a.....221.

Yes, a 221. I went strike, 7 pin/spare, strike, strike. And then in the 5th and 6th frames I left back to back pocket 7-10 splits (didn't get any additional pins on spare shot). Then I finished with 5 in a row and another 7 pin on my last ball.

I had a solid night finishing in the 200's all three games for the first time in awhile.

Had another solid week:

257-256-204-242 for a great 959 series.

Game 3 really fought transition and didn't make a big enough move that cost me on 2 splits. My only opens on the night.

City Tournament singles and doubles last night. When you know what you need to shoot to win, that's not always a good thing, huh? League President tells us, you'll need to shoot a 744 (with handicap) to jump into 1st place in singles. I shot a: 671...699 with handicap. Then in doubles we had to shoot a 1323. If my partner had just got his average we would have won easily. I threw a 731 series (my 4th ever 700 series....2nd highest for me) scratch and he threw a 509 scratch and we ended up throwing a 1310, good enough for 2nd place as of now. I doubt I'm in the money for singles, but doubles might make me a little.

Overall, great a great day of bowling for me. I've had a really great 4 weeks of throwing.

I am not a bowler, but I love going with friends and really miss it with covid. Our local place just opened up again, but their only non league or tournament days are Wednesday 12-5 and Thursday 4-9. I haven’t been doing much with covid, but I really have the itch to sneak in some bowling.

I keep on bowling the best I have in my life. I'm really having fun and the confidence on the lanes are at an all time high. We had our City Tournament over the last few weeks and as I mentioned above, I bowled my tail off. Well, the tournament wrapped up over the last weekend and I found out at league on Wednesday that I ended up winning the Overall All Event Champion, by almost 100 pins! I live in a small town, so it's not like I'm taking home a ton of cash, but it's still a feather in my cap.

As for league on Wednesday....I threw a 209-267-237 for a 713 series. My second 700+ series in two weeks. Prior to that I had three in my life, but countless 600 series. So, now my goal is an 800 series, which you all know is a feat in itself with a 267 average per game to get there. I think our small town house record is 793.

My average is now up to 195, maybe a little higher with this 713 on the books.

Last week had another good one:

259-246-228-202 for a great 935 series.

Last night however, was struggling a bit with carry.
211-225-223-197 for a 856. Still not shabby at all, i'll take it.

Average is sitting right at 220 for the season thus far, and for the 2nd 1/3 of the season our team is sitting pretty in 1st place with 3 more weeks to go to win it and we will be in the playoffs in May to make some good money! :cool:

Back