Branson June 26th through 28th unofficial THP gathering

Riding da bull. #mvp

92a4793521fd1ea07f62e6b34c0cf3eb.jpg
My son wants to show his friends the picture of his daddy "wrestling" the Buffalo... Father of the year material right here.

Not sure how you did not understand the difference between this

PHO-09Jul06-168507.jpg

and this

92a4793521fd1ea07f62e6b34c0cf3eb.jpg
Clearly something got lost in translation from Texan to English... I'll know better for next time I guess.

Clearly something got lost in translation from Texan to English... I'll know better for next time I guess.

Maybe more like this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435613552.447480.jpg

Wow, so much to say about this!

So we all know that I was the cursed one this weekend for travel issues. Between United forgetting to fuel a plane and Mother Nature hammering the midwest, I had my first two missed connections ever. Definitely added a layer of drama to the weekend. But I hate long drives, always have. These days five hours is about my max I am willing to go unless I have no choice, otherwise I will fly. To that end, a special thanks to CJ and Tyler who were willing to travel my clubs for me so I did not have to take them on the planes. I really appreciate it.

Arriving just in time to catch up to my group in the first fairway, I got my golf shoes on, dropped where they were, took a practice swing, and hit a beautiful iron, long and straight... and about 30 yards left and OB. And that pretty much summed up my weekend of golfing. I had just enough good holes to not be a total embarrassment but the lefts plagued me all weekend.

A shout out to all my playing partners this weekend.

Taylor - my first cart partner of the weekend. Incredibly fun time. Even though you tried to kill me with one shot.

Tyler - along with CJ, one of my best frieds from THP. Always a fun time teeing it up with you.

Kang - I finally got to play with the legend not once, but twice! I could watch that swing of yours nonstop. So awesome.

Rick (Mr3Putt) - While unfortunately living up to his handle, everyone better watch out for this guy. He gets that putting in order and the rest of his
game is deadly accurate. A real treat.

Chris (HighOnTheHog) - we had a lot of fun on Saturday, and you spin those wedges like a boss.

Dan (Daddio) - my cart partner for Saturday afternoon. A great person and a good player, much better than he will admit.

Ron - Ron and I got to play on Saturday and get stranded together in Chicago on Sunday. Between the car ride to the Springfield airport and the subsequent 18 hours afterwards, the foundation of a friendship was built I think. Just a great guy as most of you already know.

Eddie - Outdrives me with his 3-wood and a bum right arm! Class individual and a great time.

Frank - as he stated, we've chatted a lot in the Parenting thread, so it was really great to share a cart with you on Sunday. Every time you swung Kang's Mini 1.5 on the tee, the sound of impact combined with the sound of the cash register ringing and the smiles on your face each time you hit it were great. Can't wait to hear what happens when you get your own.

Cookie - a special nod to the Captain. No, he did not play with us on Sunday. But just the fact that he manned up and rode 18 when it was crystal clear that he felt like Hell microwaved was a feat worthy of note. I look forward to getting to play with you in the future.

Every single one of these guys I hope to play with again!

Also, additional shout outs to MikeG, Dan (Harvey), Bulldog, threeboysdad, and BrianMK4 whom I got to hang out with at different times in social settings. It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope we get to tee it up in the future.

Finally, a thank you to Shane and Ryan. This doesn't happen without all the hours put in by both of you. Shane, your CC is an awesome place and had the best customer service of all four courses bar none. They went an extra mile for me getting me out there late and I cannot thank them enough for that.

So, all that being said, I make one final push for any of you not already in to join myself and 30+ other THPers to complete the second half of the "States beginning with 'Mi' Tour" this year in Ypsilanti, MI the weekend of 8/29. Thread can be found here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...OH-and-Anyone-Else-2015-Gathering-August-29th

If nothing else, I already plan to be back in Branson for next years event!

Rob

Recap part 1
I had Cookie meet me at my house for a 4 am departure. We were heading to Tulsa to pick up Tequila4kapp and then on to Millwood for some fun.
We arrived in Tulsa an hour early, my fault. I was trying to talk Frank into trying for the earlier flight out of Dallas. Glad he didn't. It was delayed and didn't get in until an hour after his flight.
We got to Shane's course early and we were ready for everyone's arrival. It was great greeting everyone as they pulled in.
I have to say that heading to the range, I had no idea if I was going to be able to hit a golf ball during the weekend. I was a little nervous about how painful it was going to be on the arm. Warming up did not give me any good feelings. The arm warms really bothering me, but I was going to give it a try. Playing the first two holes was adventurous for me. Trying to find a way to swing without extreme pain. Finally, on hole 2, I found a swing that was somewhat comfortable. The day was now going to be perfect.
Playing with Shanep, LightningBolt (Ron) , and HighonTheHog (Chris) was the perfect start to the weekend.
The banter was nonstop and the fun never stopped. On hole #4, while Ron was trying to hit his approach shot from the right rough, a ball lands next to him. Coming from the adjacent fairway and not knowing who's shot it was, we left a little message on it. On hole #5, Fireball shots were started. First one of many.
The rest of the round was shenanigans and golf shots. Total fun and nonstop laughter.
Shane, that was a great way to round out the golf on Friday. Really enjoyed hanging out with everyone in one location and spending time together.
I will put together part 2 tomorrow. But I have to say that I thought Friday was going to be hard to beat. Millwood was fantastic. Would love to play there all the time.

Shane, Thank you for everything. Amazing job getting this together and the courses blew me away. I can't believe how much I love all those course.

Worth looking into for 2016?

Fireball_zpsfucal6rl.jpg

No. No more fireball.

I was just trying to earn a shirt and failed. #BooMe

No. No more fireball.

Quite the contrary, you were the epitome of "surviving " fireball weekend.

No. No more fireball.

The things people do for a free t-shirt...:angel:

Yeah as long as I dont get sued for using their logo on the shirts this year..hahaha
Dude, we've got Harvey Birdman on our side, you'll be fine.

Also, great work on the shirts, they turned out awesome! You are a talented man, Dev.

I missed the shirts. nice touch

More recap:

NebGolfer, I had not met Ryan in person before this event, but I did feel I knew him as we talked a lot about the lodging. Ryan was a life saver in helping find us great lodging. I think everyone was in agreement that the condo's were a perfect set up, we will forget about the fact I got lost every time we went somewhere haha. I got to share a round with Ryan, and he is a pleasure to play a round with. I look forward to seeing Ryan again in KC. Thanks again for all your help!!!!!

RBarthle, I roomed with Rob in Indy last year. He is a great guy. We still have not been able to share a round together, but I am hoping we can fix that in August in MI. Rob had a planes, trains and Automobiles type of travel for this month, but he was all smiles and laughs the whole time. It would have been easy to get all down in the dumps after his experience flying in, but he took it with a grain of salt. Cant wait to see you in August my friend.

I hate to stereo type :p but I am going to group all my texas brother in here. I have had a chance to meet and play golf with all the texas guys. I hope they consider me an adopted Texan. Phil, Darren, Eddie, Brian, Cookie, Mike G are all as good of guys as you will ever meet. Cant wait to see some of you in KC, and hopefully I can get down there for the little gathering at cowboys club. I love my texas brothers!!!

Tequila, I have met Frank a few times. And like he said earlier, so people you just gel with, Frank is one of those guys. I got to spend time with him in vegas and got to spend time with him and his lovely wife at PGA national. Frank is a good as they come!!!!! One of these days we going to hit bandon dunes my brother.

Jholl, I got to meet Jim in Lake Charles, he was a pleasure to share a round with there, and I am so glad he was able to come to to this. If you look up nice guy in websters, it will have a picture of Jim. I really need to get down to Memphis and play some golf with you and Mojo, let me know when its below 110 degrees lol.

TexasHacker, Taylor is such a great young man. I have met Taylor many times and this weekend was the first time I got to play golf with him. It was a FABULOUS time, and I think he has a new out look on Branson Creek now, I hate to say I told you so haha. Cant wait to see you in KC, and we really need to get some lake of the Ozarks golf in soon!!!!!!! P.S. I have your USA hat, will bring it to kc with me

My Michigan Brothers, CJ and Tyler. These are 2 of my favorite people in the world. Tyler has become my adopted son and CJ is my long lost brother. I have had the pleasure of spending lots of time with these 2 awesome guys, and I cant wait to spend more time with them. Lets keep knocking bucket list courses off our lists :)

One of the cool surprises about this weekend was Ron and Kang were able to come at the last minute. I can not say enough good things about these 2 gentlemen, I really do love them both like brothers. I cant wait until we go to vegas next year, and I know we will have many great adventures in the future.

More to come later

I've had sometime to sit back and think about this past weekend and one word keeps coming back to me, blessed. That's a word that's special to me and it really encompasses the time I spent in Branson with everyone. Blessed to have friends like this & blessed to be able to enjoy a trip like this. A big thanks to Phil (threeboysdad) for letting me ride up with you and Darren. You have me now tracking down the Amish place to get more jerky!

A few thoughts from the weekend

- Fresh off a 7 hour drive we get to Millwood and i'm not sure what my game will look like. I promptly shoot an 83 & I self proclaimed myself ready for the weekend. Boy was I wrong, but I had fun so that's all that mattered

-I'm so glad I found a shirt at Buffalo Ridge, otherwise it would have been a wardrobe catastrophe for my Sunday round.

Shane - I have no idea how Shane manages his daily life and doesn't get lost. Dude runs a trucking company and cant find the corner store to buy some dip. I'm buying you a Garmin or Tom Tom to help you out. Also a HUUUGGGEEE thanks for all that you did this weekend. It went off without a hitch and it was appreciated!!

NebGolfer - Ryan is all heart. Not only did he set up the condos for us all, but the big fella was always there to accommodate or help out where he could. I would say he has the heart the size of Nebraska, but that's not big enough so we'll go with Texas because we all know everything is bigger in Texas. You are going to kill it at the #Grandaddy and I hope I get a front row seat dude. Remember....I still have 9 of your dollars :act-up:

Taylor, CJ & Tyler - my roommates and more importantly my friends. it was great catching up with you guys and sharing the condo. I think we all knew that would be party central when it was booked, but we wouldn't have had it any other way.
Taylor.... get off your A$$ & put a ring on it dude. I'll never forget our #InternetGolfer experience at Ledgestone. I swear my ball was headed towards the water. I told you I can only hit it 240. Also remember "Scared Money Don't Make Money"
CJ - you sir are a machine. Not just the driving, but every time I looked around you were smiling ear to ear. I don't think you are programed to frown at all. Sharing that Friday round with you was awesome buddy & one that I will cherish for a while.
Tyler - this kid is an old soul. He just gets it and every time i'm around him I can't help but feel like a proud older brother. The world is at your palms son, go get it.

HBirdman - it was great to see you again & I'm always impressed with your demeanor and wit. It's like you are lying to all of us saying you are a lawyer. I bet you rescue cats and read books to old people at the retirement home. I'm glad I got a round in with you and I need to get to south florida. The patience alone you had dealing with AA to get home early was enough to send a sane person to the loony bin. "Bartender, another round!'

KC720 - AKA the walking golf store, AKA #TheEnabler...dude you are pure gold and i'm glad my last round was with you. We ham & egged it pretty good to fight back and square it up with Shane & Neb. I always enjoy hanging out with you because it shows me there still is good left in people. I wish I could hit a golf ball as hard as you do, but I think if I tried, I would hurt myself. A Denver trip needs to happen soon.

LightningBolt - This is the only guy I know that will buy a putter in the pro shop on day one and put it in play. (ok I know a few more), but Ron you and I are like a kindred spirit. Crazy how similar we are and how we are on the same thought process with stuff. Even though we have yet to play a round together, hanging out was just as fun. it's like we are two old friends who can pick up right where we left off. Thank you for herding Shane around and making sure we wouldn't get lost going from course to course. I would be lying if I didn't already take a peak at the Raleigh, NC job market.
AFWCardinal - I'm glad that elbow held up for you. It was pretty demoralizing when you are hitting your R9 driver with hickory shaft past me with one arm :alien: We got a couple of rounds in together & while it may not have been our best golf, it was a blast and shared some crazy bounces. It's always a pleasure sir.

#Cookie - soooooo, where do I start?? kidding brother! You definitely earned that shirt and then some. I shouldn't have let the bet be called off because maybe I would have saved you the pain. We didn't get to hang out as much, but we are close enough where golfing/hanging out is never an issue. Next year you are in the party house where I can keep my eye on you and make sure you make it through the weekend in better shape. I'm glad you ended up being ok & i'll see you soon.

Bulldog - To say that grass doesn't grow under his feet during a round of golf is an understatement. It was nice to meet you and put a face with the screen name. You've got a nice little golf game there and I enjoyed our round together. Looking forward to seeing you down the road & if you make it to Houston, lets grab a drink together at least.

Tequila4Kapp - Frank it was great seeing you again. I thoroughly enjoyed our round at Buffalo Ridge. That was on the back end of the 36 and my knee wasn't helping, but we had fun and would do it all over again. Looks like the Big Bertha Mini is the solution to your tee game

To everyone else, I hope I at least got to shake your hand and chat a bit. With groups this big it's hard to get around and chat with everyone, but I hope everybody felt at home and welcomed. We had a solid group of guys and hopefully next year we can get a few more that are kicking themselves in the a$$ for not making it to this one. (Looking at you Nate, Mojo, Dev, Jman) All In all it was a great time and I enjoyed meeting everyone.

See you boys in 2016!!!

Here's a little recap of the weekend...
Leading to and during thursday:

Started months ago when Shane told me I should come to this little gathering. I had said no since I've been out of town a bunch and my wife was nagging a bit lol. Fast forward to about Tuesday prior to the gathering... I was driving and Shane started messaging me. My wife had my phone and she read all the messages from Shane and said "man he really wants you to go." That night she gives the go ahead, I check ticket prices and say no way. Last minute I check Amex points and see I have enough (78000 points to go to branson OMG!)

Thursday am I barely make my flight out, layover at dfw where I attempt to meet a Jewish lawyer. Apparently there are a lot of little Asian guys wearing glasses??? We hop on a 1-2 headed to springfield airport and soon enough I see Shane and Ron waiting for us. I tell you having your friends waiting for your arrival is one hell of a feeling. It was the perfect start to what would be a great weekend!

We make the drive to Payne Stewart golf course and soon we arrive (Shane had some navigation issues, a theme that would continue all weekend lol). We hit the range and it's pretty hot and humid. The course was tough, whether it was the travel or my lame excuse of a golf game, the course proceeded to kick my butt. It was a great round with Ron, Shane and HarveyDan. Notes from round 1:
Ron needs to make a shoulder turn...
Shane needs to leave driver in the bag...
Harveydan always has a drink in his hand, and has a love/hate relationship with his sldr driver

After the round we head to the club house where Harveydan had his stuff in the locker room and we find it locked. What course locks up at 7pm during high season??? We run into a guy and he says his keys don't work and says to come back in the am... this is when all the lawyer came out of HarveyDan and he proceeded to do a severe cross examination where the guy crumbled and went and got some keys to open up the doors. As we pack the car to get ready to head out, we see the guy on a golf cart heading out to play lmao. So that's why they locked up...

We ride out to get some grub and we meet up with bulldog. I tell you when bulldog tells a golf story, he loses 25yds off of his driving distance lol. Brian meets us there too and we had good grub and good times sharing stories

We make another car ride to find the lodges nebgolfer arranged for everyone. Again we drive through the sticks of branson, MO and Shane proceeds to get lost. Shane driving and Ron "nagagating" was a theme all weekend hahahaha.

Once we get to the lodges it was shower and crash for me after about an hour of hitting the sh!t with people.

Great day for sure and start of one awesome weekend!

What a great weekend! I want to first thank Ryan for doing the leg work on the condo's, they were perfect. Also a great big thank you for Shane for going above and beyond getting the weekend set up. Setting up dinner at your club was way to much but all of us who made it really do appreciate what you did. I enjoyed every course we played and had such a good time playing with everyone. This is what makes THP a very special place, getting to make new friends and see old friends just to play this game we all love. I also want to thank everyone for making Darin, my long time golf buddy, feel right at home. He is not a part of THP but he has played with several members. These kind of weekends go by way to fast but the memories will last a lifetime. The good thing is being a part of THP offers so many opportunities to have this much fun and make these kinds of memories. Again a big THANK YOU to Shane and Ryan for getting this all together. I will see some of you in KC in less than two weeks.

Saturday started rather early and with a little adventure. After leaving the condo, we followed the GPS to the Legends course. It took us to a private entrance that really had us confused. Until Cookie said they did the same thing that last time up there.
Saturday mornings round with Taylor, Mikeg, and HBirdman (Dan/Harry). What a fantastic group to be a part of. I've teed it up with Taylor and Mike before and it's always a fun round. My cart partner, Dan/Harry was awesome. It was a pleasure to meet you and learning about your skiing career. I definitely want to tee it up with you again sometime. Now throw that crappy driver in the thrash and get something that works for you. That love/hate relationship needs to go away.
Not sure if there was a more enjoyable group on the course.
I really loved playing Ledgestone. Fantastic course. Not sure what kind of grass they have in the fairway, but I want to play on it again.
Saturday, at Buffalo Ridge, I found myself being bounced around between groups. A couple guys wanted to have a match between themselves, so myself and Nebgolfer joined up with Mikeg and Tequila4kapp. This was my first time playing with Ryan and Frank. Mr. MVP was my cart partner for the round. I now see how he earned the title. My friend, your game looked pretty damn good. I think you will give the Zoo crew some major fits. I hope we get the chance to tee it up again soon. KC is coming up, maybe then.
Frank and I met in Vegas a few years ago. Really enjoyed that weekend and was happy to see him make the trip. We have never golfed together until this weekend and I was able to get in two rounds with my friend. Absolutely loved both rounds together. I hope that we can meet up again soon and enjoy another round. And Thanks again for making the trip out.
Again, Thanks Shane and Ryan. One of the best golf weekends ever in my opinion.
And Thanks to all my playing partners over the weekend. Sorry if I slowed things up any. Thanks for understanding too. I was extremely concerned that I would be unable to swing a golf club this weekend. And after Fridays warm up and the first hole, I wasn't sure if I wasn't just going to be a designated driver. But it all worked out and I had a blast. The arm is a bit sore now, but I would do it again tomorrow without a second thought.

......I really need to get down to Memphis and play some golf with you and Mojo, let me know when it's below 110 degrees Lol......

One: You did a great job brother

Two: you met Jim at the Lamkin event in Branson the first time! :act-up:

Three: It was 80 last weekend, so get your A$$ down her my friend! You have a place at my house always.

Four: you did a great job Shane!

JM

Last edited:
Back