He sure as hell didn’t tell the cameras to leave him alone because he was trying to win a major.

And I’m not interested in another pro, but I’m sure Tiger did as much prep between major rounds without anyone seeing it. I know Bryson isn’t Tiger, but he’s a pro that I can see who would dedicate time post rounds.
Out of curiosity, has Tiger every done ANYTHING without anyone seeing it? :ROFLMAO:

Second, how'd it go the last time Bryson asks a camera guy to stop filming him? lol

Here is my take on the two.. I am honestly a fan of both for different reasons. Bryson I think is actually a pretty cool guy. I think he has a ton of personality. I think it is a bit strange and I think he tries really really hard to be the "cool guy" and the "smart guy".. He routinely uses the wrong terms in the wrong context in an attempt to be smart guy. It just ruins his whole attempt.. He does not need to. If he was a bit more relaxed and less produced in his attempt he would be even more popular than he is. He is a grinder and I love it.

Brooks thinks he is a jock that plays golf. I think his attitude in this video is just as contrived as Bryson's at times as he works really hard to have an image. This video is even better because of his goatee. It just adds to the tool'ness of it. But he is an amazing golfer that shows up on the biggest stages regularly. How can you hate that?

As an engineer who works with a lot of engineers, we are often a socially awkward bunch. I wonder if the "nerdy-ness" of Bryson causes some of this. I do believe he's very brand conscious but is that a bad thing and does it necessarily make a person fake? I think most pro golfers have been caught acting in an unprofessional or unflattering way. Depending on how we feel about that golfer will cause us to see it through a different lens. If we like that golfer we often give them a pass or are not as harsh. If it's a player we don't like / don't relate too we often are more critical. Clearly these two are quite polarizing.

It's worth keeping in mind that Bryson (along with all the other PGA Tour Pros) also has 40 million reasons to hype up his social media presence. The Tour has chosen to make that amount available through the Player Impact Program, and social is a big part of that. Brooks (and a good number of other Tour pros) have chosen not to play the game and that's okay too, but the Tour has certainly incentivized a high media profile.

I'll admit I'd probably be Team Brooks on this one, since I hate social media and am more of a private person, but I'd do it with the full knowledge that I was potentially leaving money on the table by doing so.

Out of curiosity, has Tiger every done ANYTHING without anyone seeing it? :ROFLMAO:

Second, how'd it go the last time Bryson asks a camera guy to stop filming him? lol
One was a guy doing his job during a telecast and the other is on the range after the round at night. I don’t think anyone would have had an issue with Bryson asking the night camera guy to please give them some privacy versus the guy who is trying to bring the broadcast that pays the bills to the audience.

As an engineer who works with a lot of engineers, we are often a socially awkward bunch. I wonder if the "nerdy-ness" of Bryson causes some of this. I do believe he's very brand conscious but is that a bad thing and does it necessarily make a person fake? I think most pro golfers have been caught acting in an unprofessional or unflattering way. Depending on how we feel about that golfer will cause us to see it through a different lens. If we like that golfer we often give them a pass or are not as harsh. If it's a player we don't like / don't relate too we often are more critical. Clearly these two are quite polarizing.

I agree. And being brand conscious doesn’t need to make one “fake.” To be fair, whether someone is genuine or authentic is probably not a binary question—more of a sliding scale. Which is why there is probably not a “right” answer.

One was a guy doing his job during a telecast and the other is on the range after the round at night. I don’t think anyone would have had an issue with Bryson asking the night camera guy to please give them some privacy versus the guy who is trying to bring the broadcast that pays the bills to the audience.
The media missing an opportunity to stoke hype and controversy??? That's a good one. Ask Tim Tebow how that worked for him. Or Johnny Manziel.

How many other taped interviews are out there that could be posted on social and create another s**t storm?
I heard there was footage of a golfer blowing off a kid looking for an autograph and then verbally accosted his grandparents' dog.

I heard there was footage of a golfer blowing off a kid looking for an autograph and then verbally accosted his grandparents' dog.
Haha, how could I forget about him. Great golf movie!

After reading this thread I think these 2 are really going to enjoy the money they get from the new PGA bonus pool for the Player Impact program. lol.

Did Bryson ask the camera guy to film him on the range for attention? I just don't see the big deal of a player heading to the range after a round to try and work on something.

Did Bryson ask the camera guy to film him on the range for attention? I just don't see the big deal of a player heading to the range after a round to try and work on something.
Imagine the kind of love Tiger would have gotten grinding out on the range like that after a tournament round?

After reading this thread I think these 2 are really going to enjoy the money they get from the new PGA bonus pool for the Player Impact program. lol.
I forgot about that. Its all a ruse, a facade.

i think the point is bryson snapped at a camera guy for filming him during a round. that is the camera guy's job, to film live action during competition. in contrast, if bryson was at the range at night trying to work things out and the camera man popped up to film him (which they have) and he took issue with that, i think he would be justified since it's not competition. he should be afforded privacy and space if he asks for it when he's "off the clock" on his own time, but during a round that's not an option. he has to suck it up and deal with the camera guy following him, even when he's struggling.

i think the point is bryson snapped at a camera guy for filming him during a round. that is the camera guy's job, to film live action during competition. in contrast, if bryson was at the range at night trying to work things out and the camera man popped up to film him (which they have) and he took issue with that, i think he would be justified since it's not competition. he should be afforded privacy and space if he asks for it when he's "off the clock" on his own time, but during a round that's not an option. he has to suck it up and deal with the camera guy following him, even when he's struggling.
I agree with that argument. There is no excuse for that behavior just like there is no excuse for a professional throwing a club, breaking a club or hitting a tee box marker into the water :oops: yet it happens seemingly almost every week. Have we seen Bryson yell at another camera guy since? Not that I can recall. We've all had our moments and I get the disdain for a player that just doesn't appeal to you by the way he behaves on the course, I have a few of those that come to mind.

Imagine the kind of love Tiger would have gotten grinding out on the range like that after a tournament round?

Hao Tong Lee 2020 PGA.. range for hours and hours. in the lead.

haha it would be obnoxious. These two guys are pretty polarizing I get it, some are going to like and some are not. I'm not a Bryson apologist and I won't make excuses for some of his poor behavior but I do like what he is doing on and off the course for the most part, same goes for Brooks actually.

The media missing an opportunity to stoke hype and controversy??? That's a good one. Ask Tim Tebow how that worked for him. Or Johnny Manziel.
Never mention that name again.

Can we take a second to talk about the most annoying part of this?

When someone makes a funny picture and half the world steals it to post it on their own with their own caption? Ugh, gross.
NFT my friend

Here is Jordan Spieth grinding for hours after the round.

They were both praised. There was a bit more of Spieth is a mess talk, because he was locked up out on the range for everyone to see. They got a bit of shock, but both praised for the willingness to grind.. Bryson gets a bad rap for grinding. I think I get why, and it is partly his own fault. But still, bad rap none the less..

Brooks is very popular this side of the pond. Instead of taking the safe route at home on the Challenge Tour, he came over with no status and played his way up from the second tier, winning three tournaments and getting on the full Tour here. He won once here before winning his first Major . People speak highly of him and he has earned respect because he is his own man.

Bryson is thought of as a jerk , turns up in Middle East for a chunk of cash, and tells everyone how wonderful he is. He played in the last group at the European Open, shot 78 and gracelessly stormed off barely shaking his playing partner's hand.

Bryson DeChambeau flops in European Open finish, apologizes for quick exit - CBSSports.com

And we would much rather see DeChambeau in the Ryder Cup draw than Brooks. Bryson has a consistent set of results.....0 from 3

I agree with that argument. There is no excuse for that behavior just like there is no excuse for a professional throwing a club, breaking a club or hitting a tee box marker into the water :oops: yet it happens seemingly almost every week. Have we seen Bryson yell at another camera guy since? Not that I can recall. We've all had our moments and I get the disdain for a player that just doesn't appeal to you by the way he behaves on the course, I have a few of those that come to mind.

what bryson did was a little different to me. it’s awful when sergio spits into the hole. it’s awful when tiger screams profanity when there are kids around. it’s awful when guys slam their putter into the green potentially affecting another guy’s putt. but bryson snapped at a fellow human being who was just doing his job, accusing him of damaging his brand. i’m not saint and i’m not trying to cast stones, it just seems to give a glimpse into how he really sees other people and what is most important to him.

i absolutely have been a bryson apologist. i’ve met him when there were no cameras around and he could not have been nicer to everyone he was interacting with. but that was awhile ago. i feel like maybe the fame and the money and the attention and the pursuit of the brand have changed who he is. how could it not? but it may not be a positive change.

I think it’s fair to say that most things Bryson has done that has made people roll their eyes have happened in the past 1-2 years. I don’t doubt Bryson is quirky and trying to find ways to do things better/differently, but he’s monetizing on this image (as a prudent business person would), which makes it fair for people to question its authenticity.

The question about your personal knowledge relates to you being completely dismissive of @mikeg_74’s opinion. Because if you don’t know him personally, we are all just drawing our own conclusions based on our own observations.
I am not dismissing any opinion. What I am dismissing is how he is arriving at that opinion.

Back