I used to be but got burned and wasted so much money that way. Now I stick to I know what works and if I have any questions, I go hit the clubs to get an idea if they will work.

Yes, I buy before trying. Sometimes it works. usually.

I did just buy my EXO Marxman without trying it. I did game the SL Marxman prior and went to hit some EXO putters in a local store to see how the face felt so I wasn't completely blind.

I was, big time. No one stocks anything I could hit around here. No Sub-Zero’s and very little selection and certainly nothing more than a 60g class S-flex.

But I knew what worked for me. Low launch low spin was a must.

Now with the past year/two, I have an entirely different swing (still not good, but at least it’s a lot slower, lol). I have no idea what works now or not. I need a fitting now before I’d consider buying something that’ll depreciate. A used club/set that I can come close to breaking even? I might give that a shot still.

Im coming close to closing in but I just don’t have much to choose from that’s not quite as stout.

Pretty much always, sometimes may roll a putter before but usually just pull the trigger. Will say harder sometimes being a lefty....

Tried out my ST200 and CLKs before purchasing but, ordered my wedges and putter without trying first. The wedges turned out to be money but, after rolling my SL DW for the season, I am going back to a mallet for next year.
My irons are a whole nother story! ;)

I bought a set of irons from EBay For $200 when I first came back to playing 2 months ago. Couldn’t check those out first. They are very nice clubs! Now that I know I can still play, I got fitted and have ordered a new set. So I do, try stuff out first, but sometimes I don’t!

Historically, yes. That was out of not often being able to try though. I'm hoping to flip that a little going forward.

Up until recently, yes. But I recently went for an iron fitting, and am circling back on that on Friday to test out the new Mizunos before I finalize a decision there. I'm also coupling that with a driver fitting.

Previously, I just bought everything off the shelf, but I feel like fitting at least for driver and irons is good, if you can. For example, it helped me determine that I need +1/2" in my irons, which I sort of always thought might be the case as 6' 3", but never confirmed with used and off the rack.

I'd still buy putters and wedges without trying them first (I have actually done so recently on both accounts), but in those cases I'd also try to find used so that I didn't take as much of a hit if I ended up not liking them.

I usually try equipment before I buy, or at least the model and then buy it used or from a preferred retailer. Except golf underwear, I usually don’t try those before I buy.

I managed to try out my driver, irons and putter (putting on an indoor surface at Golf Galaxy for an hour counts, right?) but I didn’t try my wedges or any of the hybrids I’ve had - bought them right off the rack. Zero regrets on the wedges but definite regrets on the hybrids.

Pretty much always, sometimes may roll a putter before but usually just pull the trigger. Will say harder sometimes being a lefty....

You’re only a lefty sometimes? Man, that must throw off your tempo....

yes, where i live, its just about everything with golf equipment, read all you can and just go with it..

more often than I care to admit
Haha, same here! I'm a logical person and this approach is very illogical but when it comes to golf I have more money than sense apparently. Doh!

Except for experimenting around with different balls I always try equipment first.

Yup.... a fair bit of the time I am. I have a rough idea of if something will fit my game or not but I'm wrong a fair bit too.

Depends on what it is for me. Driver and irons no, but I'll still pick up a fairway, hybrid, wedge, or putter without hitting them first.

Are you a buy before trying person with equipment?

The more money I spend, the more likely I am to try the club out. I’ll definitely buy a wedge or something without trying it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to buying without trying, and I usually regret it. That said, with golf equipment a quick session on a simulator or putting area is rarely enough for me to figure out what works or not. I really need testing time out on a course to make better buying decisions.

Driver: tried before i bought
3-Wood: tried before i bought
5-Wood: bought before i tried
3-Hybrid: bought before i tried
4i - PW: tried before i bought
GW: bought before i tried
SW: bought before i tried
LW1: bought before i tried
LW2: bought before i tried
Putter: bought before i tried

I’m usually a try first. In situations where I buy first, I have definitely read as many reviews as possible. No impulse buying of golf equipment.

Often times, yes I am. Without the benefit of having a legit fitting option here, there is a lot of cool stuff out there that I would not otherwise ever get to try.
This is me as well

Driver: Hit driver but I did the shaft on my own and should have fit.
3WD: Hit first
Heavenwood: Hit first
4h/5h: 4h given to me for free and I liked it so I bought the 5h.
Irons: Fit into them
Wedges: Bought without hitting.
Putter: Bought without hitting

Back