Since buying my original starter set, which lasted one round, I have never purchased a set of irons without some sort of fitting session, or a putter without at least sampling it first. With the exception of a driver or two, however, everything else has been purchased based on research only. Typically a lot of research. I do factor in playability guarantees when considering something new. I don't swing freely on a monitor, so 30 to 90 days of risk-free on-course play is a far better test for me. Generally speaking I've chosen well.

All the time. I love new and shiny.

I think we all do our small part to keep the pre-owned section of most golf shops stocked. I buy a lot of my clubs before trying them, even though I preach to others that fitting is the correct way to do it. Historically I have made everything work, with the exception of a Big Bertha driver a few years back. I wasn't out of pocket, although I suppose the gift card could have been used for something else.
I will not purchase a set of irons without getting fitted for them; the other clubs not so much. I tend to buy the other clubs at the end of the year once the new stuff has been announced; rarely will I buy a club at full pop.

Usually, I get fit. The Mizuno 919F and HMP were the exceptions to my general rule. I went discount, reshafted, but who knows?

For the 921, I am getting fitted in early October to see what is going on with different options and shafts and golf balls. Will spend more money, but it will be optimized. I'm working out like a fiend now for the next month. lol.

Are you a buy before trying person with equipment?

Absolutely. If I didn't, my golf bag would be empty. Luckily, my purchases end up working out for me.

I live by "buy without try"

Are you a buy before trying person with equipment?
I used to be big time but since getting fit at the Grandaddy I lean towards trying before buying if I can.

I am. If the club looks good and feels good in my hand, I'll pull the trigger on it.

Guilty as charged. I blame it on the hype that I get from everyone here on THP. I see others having success and I get envious and jealous and hope I can duplicate the enjoyment others are having.

Some of time..depending on the club and my wants.

Guilty as charged. I blame it on the hype that I get from everyone here on THP. I see others having success and I get envious and jealous and hope I can duplicate the enjoyment others are having.

THP has certainly not helped my golf equipment impulse buying problem.

I can be an impulse online shopper (golf stuff only)..... I wish I wasn't, but I do enjoy trying stuff out then either reselling it or trade it in to check out something new. Fortunately, at this point, my wife just rolls her eyes at me when another box comes and doesn't get too angry

I analyze and study well before I buy. I did get fit for irons and then bought those, but that is it.

Might try to find a demo just to see how something looks or sounds/feels. Totally blind hasn't been too often.
But if I were to try a new driver, my drivers are all 10.5, so I'd probably end up with a 10.5. That kind of thing.
I never make any huge leaps in specs at a time. And have played a while.
Newer players may benefit the most from a fitting. Get that baseline anyway.

Almost always try before buy.

Most of the time I have to be a buy before try, there is only 1 store in town that sells clubs and they don't carry left-handed club. Even when I am able to go to a bigger store the selection will be maybe 1 or 2 sets and most of that would be considered starter sets.

Everything in my current bag

well, yes, to an extent....I loved the OL i bought and played with for 6 most. so I bought a new set with new year heads, love the shafts, Recoil 110's. The heads, not so much. Sold my back up sets.....not where i wanna be right now. My Pro to Pin sucks. Driver 3 woodcutter wages all great. Irons.......

That would be the slogan of my bag... Usually good deals from the bay or forums... Also some THP clubs. Everything works, however not sure it's maximized for my game!;)

Most of the time, yes. I have never been one to believe that I see the same results indoor, on a GC2 at Roger Dunn, that I do on the course. I may use a launch monitor to help me choose a shaft, but rarely ever a club head.

I take a flyer every so often. It hasn’t worked lately so I am not doing that any more!

I have done for sure but not trying to make it the norm.

Yes. There is virtually zero left handed demo equipment around. The only time I don’t is if I do a club champion fitting but that’s reserved for major changes.

I’ve been guilty in the past 😠

Guilty. Slightly burned on a wedge. But greatly rewarded by a SZ 4i. Way more thought went into the 4i buy before I try though.

Back