Buying clubs on Ebay...how do you know they are the real deal?

China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
I have been browsing ebay for irons and have come across some good deals. I'm mostly looking at Callaways which I know is the most cloned club with the cheap asian knockoffs. Is there any way to verify they are authentic before purchasing or is it a blind leap of faith?

Ask for a serial number.

When looking for frequently cloned clubs... make sure the seller has a VERY HIGH rating... like 5000+, and 99%+ positive feedback %.

When looking for frequently cloned clubs... make sure the seller has a VERY HIGH rating... like 5000+, and 99%+ positive feedback %.

I buy a lot off ebay. I always check the ratings, usually will look at the past purchases. For clubs, I will look over most of the ratings and see if anyone warns of knockoffs. I have yet to have a problem with purchasing clubs off ebay.

I buy a lot off ebay. I always check the ratings, usually will look at the past purchases. For clubs, I will look over most of the ratings and see if anyone warns of knockoffs. I have yet to have a problem with purchasing clubs off ebay.

Every single club in my bag except fora few won/bought from THP are from eBay.
I don't have a lot of money, so I buy better-used-cheaper clubs. Never had a problem, as I mostly buy from "stores" on eBay, or if it's not a store, a person with a very good feedback rating.

Also, you can always quickly post the seller's name here. Chances are someone has purchased from them.

I have had good luck with the bay as well. and the store, feedback and past reviews are all great advice and must do's

I just bought a Callaway Diablo Edge online and they actually provided a Certificate of Authenticty as well so maybe ask for one of those. Some may have it.

Every single club in my bag except fora few won/bought from THP are from eBay.
I don't have a lot of money, so I buy better-used-cheaper clubs. Never had a problem, as I mostly buy from "stores" on eBay, or if it's not a store, a person with a very good feedback rating.

Sounds like me. My clubs are a lot older than Floppy's, but I've bought every single one of them off eBay, then registered them on the OEM's website. I did buy from reputable eBay sellers though - Callawaygolfpreowned and Dallas Golf.

Mine as well, my Driver, 5 wood, Irons, and putter are all from online. I bought them all brand new though. Just look for store names that are specifically golf as well.

Sounds like me. My clubs are a lot older than Floppy's, but I've bought every single one of them off eBay, then registered them on the OEM's website. I did buy from reputable eBay sellers though - Callawaygolfpreowned and Dallas Golf.

love these guys... got my woods and hybrids from them

I have bought stuff from cally preowned.com but not their ebay store. I don't think they have it anymore?
obviously I would ask for a serial number and check with callaway to see if its legit but can't people still fake that? thought I saw somewhere a seller who used the serial # from another set.

If you're looking at a specific listing, post it here.

I have bought stuff from cally preowned.com but not their ebay store. I don't think they have it anymore?

Yeah, that's weird though. 42000+ transactions and a 100% rating. Looks like they stopped selling in December 2009. They're not even registered with eBay anymore.

hmmm thats linksman golf. I have never bought from them but have heard about some bad experiences from some here on THP. in fact I started my own thread about them a while back looking for feedback here it is. I believe someone who works there posted that they were alive and well. But that is their one and only post. hope this helps.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?10337-Linksman-golf-clubs&highlight=Linksman

I bought my son a set of clubs from that eBay seller, Wildcardgolf, back in August 2005. The clubs were pretty nice and well-priced. I gave them 5 stars. Don't know how they are now though.

well now I'm nervous about buying something from them. Think I will keep an eye on a few other auctions...anyone else with feedback on any of the sellers please let me know!

well now I'm nervous about buying something from them. Think I will keep an eye on a few other auctions...anyone else with feedback on any of the sellers please let me know!

You shouldn't be nervous. If you factor in how many people have been satisfied with how many haven't...there is absolutely nothing to worry about. They have a TON of feedback and a VERY high rating.
Also, not sure if he sells iron sets, but I've bought from "timtheputterman" quite a bit. His clubs are always the cheapest, and they always arrive quickly and are legit.

You shouldn't be nervous. If you factor in how many people have been satisfied with how many haven't...there is absolutely nothing to worry about. They have a TON of feedback and a VERY high rating.
Also, not sure if he sells iron sets, but I've bought from "timtheputterman" quite a bit. His clubs are always the cheapest, and they always arrive quickly and are legit.

well I was at my local Dicks tonight and new FT's are still selling for $1000 in steel. same ones used on cally preowned in average shape are $600. So I guess I'm nervous that they are legit and under 400 on ebay...

You could buy them. I wouldnt, I live in Philly and my roomate is selling the exact same set, in way better condition too. PM me, and I will ask him tomorrow

Those shaft stickers look different than the ones my buddy has, and he has the uniflex steel aswell

He has also had about 8-10 negative responses to either not shipping clubs, not advising that shafts had been changed, or no reply to emails, all within the past month or so

EDIT: make that 13

well I was at my local Dicks tonight and new FT's are still selling for $1000 in steel. same ones used on cally preowned in average shape are $600. So I guess I'm nervous that they are legit and under 400 on ebay...

I've bought from that exact seller twice. A while back I bought an r540 driver, and I also bought an r7 draw from them. Both times I got them quickly, and they were legit.

Jus' sayin. :D

Back