Cable companies - Cutting the cord

We pay $82/month for Hulu and Disney Plus. We get additional programming at no extra cost from our Comcast internet service and have been very happy with that combination.

Sad thing is ,it's getting to the point of costing about the same . I only do Amazon prime and Redbox . Antenna for local channels

Sad thing is ,it's getting to the point of costing about the same . I only do Amazon prime and Redbox . Antenna for local channels
Do you use a Digital Recorder for OTA?

I agree @BigLeftyinAZ - by the time I would cut the cord and then add what I really want to watch - which is pretty limited to NY Rangers games; golf - and hallmark and cooking shows for the wife - for those streaming services it takes me back to where I am paying for cable.

Note - if you ask, cable cos these days do offer various options- you just need to ask them/call them (not just look on their websites).

The biggest nut for me in the overall cost is streaming service for Rangers games would cost me $30 per month alone. cheaper to get the games as part of my cable bill to be honest.

I agree @BigLeftyinAZ - by the time I would cut the cord and then add what I really want to watch - which is pretty limited to NY Rangers games; golf - and hallmark and cooking shows for the wife - for those streaming services it takes me back to where I am paying for cable.

Note - if you ask, cable cos these days do offer various options- you just need to ask them/call them (not just look on their websites).

The biggest nut for me in the overall cost is streaming service for Rangers games would cost me $30 per month alone. cheaper to get the games as part of my cable bill to be honest.
There are streaming services that offer RSNs, such as Directv Stream and Fubo.

It's local channels and sports that really jack up your costs. We have an OTA antenna so locals are free, then we pay $51 a month total for Hulu, Netflix and YT. Going with cable or satellite would likely be 3 times more.

I need Internet either way so I don't consider that part of the cost, same as my Amazon Prime membership which has great streaming as well, including Thursday Night Football. If you go into cord cutting thinking you need to duplicate your existing cable package you will definitely not save money. Forget DVRs too - you don't need those any more. You do need to avoid all the sign up schemes these days though, like the Saturday night NFL playoff game being streamed exclusively on Peacock. I'm not getting any more subs so if you're putting something behind what is basically a paywall I simply won't watch.

truth of the matter is when you take out the home phone (which I don't know why I still have) and wifi service - I am only paying $55 for verizon tv. I have stripped the channels to the bone - and get those I want - NY sports teams, golf and hockey channel and cooking and hallmark. Hulu would cost me more. I do pay an extra $20 for a box - but can (I think) drop it if I buy a smart tv (mine must be 20yrs old).

Not sure I can get that $55 any lower.

But this is the year to do a wholesale review of tv as well as car/house insurance -- and bring those expenses down.

I switched to wireless internet and Roku and Sling. Already get Netflix free with cell service. Cut the internet and TV bill in half and everything works just as fast as cable. Might even drop Sling to cut more.

Just got an email yesterday that Fubo is going up $5 soon, so now $80 per month. When we first signed up a few years ago it was like $60 or $65. Going to be shopping around now.

Just called Verizon this morning since I couldn't understand why it seemed my tv was so low in comparison to what folks were saying. It all comes down to how the charges are presented on the bill. I am on an old program - and all the taxes/surcharges etc. were pulled out and bundled at the end. Now a lot are bundled inside the price of tv service. So my $55 tv service is actually around $70-75.

I was able to find some great cable apps and movie apps on my laptop.I put them on a usb stick and can run them off my tv.Wont work on big name brand tv’s.But does work on my TCL

Before long with all of these streaming and internet services increasing their prices, since there is NO regulation to control rate increases, these services, like Roku, Apple, FUBO etc.. could in time cost more than the regular cable and internet service we cut the cord from. Give it time.

With recent move our house is pretty close to a dead zone for cell service. Our place has two antennas on roof and two in yard for dish coverage. I guess when covid hit and many were working from home the coverage was too spotty with dish so Spectrum came in and ran lines. So we went that route. Have a land line now for first time in 12 years. But phone/internet and TV at $69 a month.

that's real cheap @GolfTravelDude - I wonder if that's an introductory offering or the internet speed and channels are limited or reduced somewhat.

Back