Caddie dies on European Tour, RIP Ian McGregor

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
Yahoo sports:

Some really terrible news from the European Tour event this week, where one of the caddies died of a heart attack suffered on the golf course during final round play.

Ian McGregor, a 52-year-old caddie on the bag of Alastair Forsyth, passed away on Sunday after suffering a heart attack in the fairway of the 9th hole, their last hole of the tournament. The Madeira Islands Open suspended play for over a hour after the incident, with Forsyth deciding to complete the hole despite the tragic news.
The European Tour released a statement saying they, "extends our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of Ian at this time. Following consultation with the players and caddies involved, however, it has been decided that play should continue and the tournament should finish.”
It was obviously a tough day for everyone, with plenty of guys taking to Twitter to send out thoughts about the caddie.

-----------------

I think it is questionable that they continued the tournament, but also if the players and caddies were consulted, who are we, as spectators to say what they should have done.

Sad news, and condolences to McGregors family.

Unbelievable. Had seen a couple of the tweets. But first time reading the story. Condolences to family, friends, and the golfing community.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that, condolences to his family and friends.

Oh no. That's horrible.

That is so sad. Can't imagine how that must have been for Forsyth.

Holy crap, that's awful! Can't imagine having a friend die for one, while in competition for two and then having or choosing to continue even.
Imagine the guys that had to pass the spot where he collapsed, geez.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow that's horrible

This is terrible to hear, can't imagine.

That is terrible to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Wow.

That is horrible

Wow, that is incredibly sad. I don't know how those players must've felt as they finished the round.

Horrible story.

I hate to make this about me, but last August a guy in my Tuesday night golf league had a heart attack in the parking lot of the golf course, putting his shoes on prior to our league round. Another golfer from the league opposite us, and an EMT, revived him in the parking lot and by the time I got to the course, he was already loaded up in the ambulance. After the chaos of realizing what was going on, and trying to get a hold of his mother, brother, son...anybody, we all just stood around in shock not knowing what to do. I have a large tight knit group of friends (him included) playing in the league that night, and we all agreed that he would want us to go play golf, so we did.

I was in the last group to tee off that night, and just before my group was to go, we got the call that he did not survive. This was a guy that I golfed with once/twice a week, drank with, took golf trips with, watched NFL football every fall Sunday with...and I was matched up that night with three newer golfers to the league that didn't know him as well. That was the most surreal round of golf that I have ever played. I just felt numb...and I felt like I was on an island in my foursome. I have not played that golf course since that night, and I did not return to that golf league this summer.

I can't speak for Alastair Forsyth, but maybe he thought that Ian would want him to finish the tournament? And maybe he was just a little numb, and a little out on an island dealing with his emotions?

Wow, consonances to his family. That is rough.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Still cannot believe they continued playing.... Maybe it is just me but if someone died within my workplace that day I just think it would be disrespectful to keep working

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Sad news condolences to his family

Wow, that is horrible news

Back