Caddie Tip Amount

formula8

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll be heading to Kohler this week and am looking for input on tip amounts at nice courses like Whistling Straits. Their site mentions 50 for a walking caddie and 30 for a forecaddie. A friend who is a member at a private club in Chicago suggested that 100 is more in line for a walking caddie.

What is an acceptable tip, good tip or way above average tip for both a waking and forecaddie at a course of this caliber?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Recently booked Harbour Town for later this year. Their site said the same as far as minimums but like you I am planning for it to be at least double what they recommend.

Keep in mind he/she should be doing more than just carrying the bag. So if the caddie service is good, (good positions to hit to or layup, good green reads, making sure clubs are wiped down) then by all means a good tip is rated. If just carrying the bag and not providing any info then minimum tip. IMO

Basic rate should be 100 carry and 50 fore . Tip based on service delivered but min 20 carry 10 fore.

I'll be heading to Kohler this week and am looking for input on tip amounts at nice courses like Whistling Straits. Their site mentions 50 for a walking caddie and 30 for a forecaddie. A friend who is a member at a private club in Chicago suggested that 100 is more in line for a walking caddie.

What is an acceptable tip, good tip or way above average tip for both a waking and forecaddie at a course of this caliber?

I assume that reference is per person?

I almost always give a caddie a hundy. Forecaddie is usually $60-$100 depending on how much he actually does.

Curious - when you reference "tip," is that above and beyond the regular caddie rate?
I haven't used a caddie in ages (although I've caddied extensively in my youth). When I did use a caddie, I'd ask the caddie master what the rate was, and figured out the additional "tip" based on that.

Curious - when you reference "tip," is that above and beyond the regular caddie rate?
I haven't used a caddie in ages (although I've caddied extensively in my youth). When I did use a caddie, I'd ask the caddie master what the rate was, and figured out the additional "tip" based on that.
Yes, this is on top of the normal caddie rate from the course.

Tips are earned. Depending on the service recieved I would tip any where between $20, and $100. Maybe a little more.

I shot a personal best at Spyglass one time, and my caddy had alot to do with that score. He went the extra yards for me. Clubing me, ball landing locations, and green reads. I gave him all the cash in my wallet, in addition to fees already charged. All on all, he got a little over $300. Back in the 1980s that was good money.

Yes, this is on top of the normal caddie rate from the course.

What is the caddie rate excluding tip at the course?

Pull out more than you think is necessary, then adjust as needed. Not like you can’t add it back to your bank when done, right?

I’d start with 100, adjust from there

Pebble Beach recommend $55 - $80 for one of their caddies. I tipped $70.

What is the caddie rate excluding tip at the course?
$70 but we are playing all the courses as part of an all inclusive stay and play package. Those fees are part of the package but obviously not the tip.

Chamber's Bay caddies are $50 for your Sherpa and you'll need one, and if you can afford to play there you can afford the Benjamin.

remember, the individual is carry your bag for about 4 hours and helping you enjoy the course.

As @smgoldstein indicated, ask the caddy master. He will give you the best indication of what is reasonable. You can then adjust from there based on your individual experience. and if you go low, take care of the guy who helped you do it....

For a walking caddie that you think did a good job on a course that costs $200 or more, I think $100 is generous and respectful tip. Anything less than $60 is an insult unless the caddy did a poor job. Anything over $100 is showing off.

Note that if a caddy is double-bagging, I don't necessarily think both players have to give $100. In that case I might give like $60 or $70, since neither player is going to get the caddie's full attention / services.

Last edited:
How much does the caddie get from the club. At my course for A caddies who are pretty much professional caddies the going rate is $100 per bag. They don't get any money from the club though it is strictly a transaction between the golfer and the caddie. When we played TPC Sawgrass we gave the caddie 160 (80 per bag) total on top of what he gets from the fees paid to the course.

How much does the caddie get from the club. At my course for A caddies who are pretty much professional caddies the going rate is $100 per bag. They don't get any money from the club though it is strictly a transaction between the golfer and the caddie. When we played TPC Sawgrass we gave the caddie 160 (80 per bag) total on top of what he gets from the fees paid to the course.

Everywhere I've used a caddie, they work for tips only.

I had a caddie in a scramble event that rode in my cart... I gave him 50. I’m not used to having caddies so after reading this, I feel bad.

Im also a poor teacher (if that helps)

So here's the verdict from my trip to Whistling Straits. Walking caddie that carried two bags we tipped $100 per bag. Group forecaddie we tipped $60 per guy so $240 for the group. Our caddie seemed happy with those amounts and stuck with us for 6 rounds over 4 days. He was really great and took our experience to another level.

If you are ever at Kohler ask for Brendan caddie #102.

I had a caddie in a scramble event that rode in my cart... I gave him 50. I’m not used to having caddies so after reading this, I feel bad.

Im also a poor teacher (if that helps)

If he's riding in your cart and not carrying your bag, I'd say $50 is plenty generous.

Everywhere I've used a caddie, they work for tips only.
At our club, they get a base fee, payable from the member or guest in cash/venmo, and we can tip on top of that. Depends on how they do, we have a lot of young kids who are just learning, but it is good to support them anyway I can.

Back