Callaway Apex Pro Series Irons

The CBs are 3-4 weeks out. The Pros are in stock waiting to be built. All is great. Excellent service as per the Callaway usual. I imagine the slight elbow twinge will go away with the Darts. I just need some non-raw wedges and maybe.... MAYBE a putter

I must admit, in getting back to golf after a 5 year break, I’m trying to get my swing back in shape before buying new equipment. But I felt like going to test clubs, so I went to hit some of the new releases today. Almost let the “pro” keep me from hitting these, but I liked how the felt in hand so gave them some swings. Wow! Ended up hitting the 8 & 5 iron pro and they felt so good. So solid at impact. Didn’t bring my current clubs to compare, but I was liking the numbers on the monitor. Serious ponder mode here.

I must admit, in getting back to golf after a 5 year break, I’m trying to get my swing back in shape before buying new equipment. But I felt like going to test clubs, so I went to hit some of the new releases today. Almost let the “pro” keep me from hitting these, but I liked how the felt in hand so gave them some swings. Wow! Ended up hitting the 8 & 5 iron pro and they felt so good. So solid at impact. Didn’t bring my current clubs to compare, but I was liking the numbers on the monitor. Serious ponder mode here.
Get them before the end of the month and they have a 150% trade value right now if you have some things you want to trade you won't be playing.

These are really good and my favorite Callaway irons to date.

They are really good. More forgiving then I thought they would be, and like you said, great feel. If your miss is low on the face these might just be for you.

Any other questions let me know. I've had the Pros the last 4-5 months.

They are really good. More forgiving then I thought they would be, and like you said, great feel. If your miss is low on the face these might just be for you.

Any other questions let me know. I've had the Pros the last 4-5 months.
I can miss it all over, but probably my most punishing miss is catching it a little fat. Any feedback on how they handle slightly fat shots?

The one thing I wish was different might be turf interaction with the Pros in the scoring irons. They just didn't get along with my swing. They weren't terrible, but I had a bit too much digging, which was amplified when I was playing in wet conditions. No issues in the 4i-7i, but once I got to the 8i it's where I noticed it. I only have one range session with the CB's, but it was an improvement over the Pros for my swing in those scoring irons. Just glided through the turf. The Pros are such good clubs, just wish that confidence continued through the scoring irons. Partial PW's were really good, just those full swings that caused me trouble.

Funny you mention strength of lofts. At first I had this thought, but even with the weaker lofts I'm still seeing very comparable distances to my Cobra KFT's. So honestly, I'm ok with the distances I'm seeing, regardless of the lofts differences.

The durability has been pretty good. No wear that is out of the ordinary. The only issues I've seen with the finish are the black marks that happen near the Callaway logo on the back of the clubhead. Not sure what causes them, but it very noticeable. Wipes away easy with a magic eraser, but still wish it didn't happen.
I am in the same boat as you with turf interaction. I feel my CB 10
& 11i just glide through the turf like a knife slicing through butter. When I get to the the Pro’s to me it feels like there is more grabbing and closing of the club face resulting in a distance loss.

The feel is infectious. Launch high and dispersion is tight. For a players iron they aren’t as intimidating to hit as they look.

I am in the same boat as you with turf interaction. I feel my CB 10
& 11i just glide through the turf like a knife slicing through butter. When I get to the the Pro’s to me it feels like there is more grabbing and closing of the club face resulting in a distance loss.
The turf interaction of the CBs is so good and can’t be understated. I feel like I’ve gotten away with some swings that might be a little heavy

I can miss it all over, but probably my most punishing miss is catching it a little fat. Any feedback on how they handle slightly fat shots?

They’ll come up a little short like anything fat. Or thin. Or heel. Or toe. Or so I’ve heard. I only ever hit mine dead solid perfect. 🤪

They’re about as forgiving or more so than any other iron in the category.

You will have distance loss on fat shots, but feel the beveled leading edge cuts down on how often it happens. Will depend on how steep your swing is.

It's something I battle too, and the Pros dig in when I catch it fat, but they are the same as any other club in that regard. I've had the Srixon V sole in the past, and feel like the turf interaction is on par with that sole, which was always my favorite.

I moved into the CB's in the 8i-PW partly because of how good the turf interaction feedback has been. I only have one range session, but I'm pleased so far.

Spent some time on the launch monitor this morning working on my swing and I continue to be impressed with the consistency of the CBs from a carry, spin, dispersion standpoint. I’m able to hit my desired carry number.

Also hit the UT and I don’t think I’ve had a utility iron that feels or sounds as good as this one.

Ya know, this just proves to me how much better I think satin looks. These are fire but I’m not a huge fan of the chrome finish

Ya know, this just proves to me how much better I think satin looks. These are fire but I’m not a huge fan of the chrome finish

I agree. Satin is a much better finish. I really dislike chrome on the face of the iron too, distracting.

For the most part irons were not great today, but I’m going to chuck that up to super wet fairways for the most part. Hit one shot today (Par 3, 180 into wind) and stuck it to 10’ w/ 6i. Landed about 15’ in front of the pin took a couple small hops and then rolled out a little to 10’ past the pin.

💯

Interesting choice for that type of iron

I noticed the Chrome finish.. I wonder if its raw?

100% agree. Love the satin finish.

I saw that and thought the same thing. Give me satin all day everyday.

Was not happy after my round Thursday with these, and that’s a frustrating spot to be. I can feel the sole of the pros getting stuck in the ground and grabbing on me, and the ball flight is just kinda squirrely on me because of it.

Gonna try this again next Thursday and maybe throw a club, maybe not. Either way, the frustration is there and I don’t like putting up sucky scores :/

I’m quite pleased with the distances I am hitting the Apex Pro + UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 105F4 combo. I’m looking forward to warmer temps and more rounds to dial them in even more.

My distances with the Apex Pro’s seem to be increasing which is a compliment to my swing work I’ve been doing, but also the clubs themselves. I am really armored by the 5i at the moment, a club I’ve always struggled hitting well. The sound off the face is clickier than the rest of the set, but provides me good feedback on miss hits. When struck well it is a rocket launcher!!!!

I'm tinkering

Dropped my CBs off to the shop to have them swap out the 105 MMT TX shafts for my LA L-Series 120 6TX. This might be pretty interesting and will definitely be fun testing and there will now be lead tape on the CBs hahaha.... #leadtapehaters

Back