Callaway Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB Irons

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Callaway has a full lineup of irons in their family of products, but few give us more questions than the comparison between Apex Pro and X-Forged CB. While every set is quite popular, these two are often linked together as on the surface they seem to be for similar players.

What better way to answer those than a new episode of VS, where we pit two pieces of equipment together in the ring in the THP Tech Studio and hit them both side by side. 

In this episode, the 2021 Callaway Apex Pro vs X-Forged CB irons go head to head and we start with a comparison of the technology similarities and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't keep my eyes off your shoes and laces :D... good vid, sound with irons - solid.;)

For my game ... to much club for me but probably X Forged if I had to choose and a shaft that fits me.

Last edited:
Been waiting for this even though I already made the switch 👍 You mentioned strong loft. Same in both heads for the comparison?

Last edited:
Great video @Canadan ….stripe show…whew!

I have played the Apex Pros all year, ordered sight unseen and been very happy with their performance and durability. The Mitsubishi MMT shafts have been an awesome pairing and dispersion has been significantly better than last year. My only nitpick is as you mentioned is the sound, little too clicky. I have a couple of buddies that play the Pros and they luv them as well and 1 friend with the CB’s who is playing very well. I have yet to hit either the CB’s or the TCB’s but maybe some day.

Been waiting for this even though I already made the switch 👍 You mentioned strong loft. Same in both heads for the comparison?
Yes they were I believe

Yes they were I believe
Thanks. That then confirms my finding as well. A little better ball speed and much better sound/feel. On way to pick up XFCB now!

Great video! I have played both for a considerable amount of time and just recently went back to the X Forged. At the end of the day, I am just better with them. They are both great irons and could easily game either of them.

Well done Dan. That spin profile for the Pro's is hard to pass up for an iron set IMO. Also 9/9 on the green? When are you finally going to fix that swing?

Umm... how far off the inside of your left heel is the ball being positioned for your 7 iron?

Umm... how far off the inside of your left heel is the ball being positioned for your 7 iron?
Given the results I would say it was just right.

Seriously I think the camera angle is deceptive.
I play the 7 in a pretty traditional location. Camera angle.

Were the XForged CBs adjusted strong?

Very interesting video. How much of a difference to you think the different shafts makes?
They should be dead on. I am sure the shaft could make subtle differences.

I share the same opinions on the two. Loved the dull thump of the CB and I got a little more ball speed over the pro's. But when I mishit the CB's, it was disastrous. The pros were more consistent for me and I found them easier to adjust flights. I also found that same for same loft, the Apex Pros seemed to launch higher and come down with a steeper descent angle. In the end, I went Apex Pros to give me that extra bit of forgiveness but damn the CB's sound/feel so good.

They should be dead on. I am sure the shaft could make subtle differences.

Based on the website the TCBs are a degree weaker and you were getting lower launch and more distance out of them. Interesting results.

Based on the website the TCBs are a degree weaker and you were getting lower launch and more distance out of them. Interesting results.

My guess is shaft variations account for this.

I share the same opinions on the two. Loved the dull thump of the CB and I got a little more ball speed over the pro's. But when I mishit the CB's, it was disastrous. The pros were more consistent for me and I found them easier to adjust flights. I also found that same for same loft, the Apex Pros seemed to launch higher and come down with a steeper descent angle. In the end, I went Apex Pros to give me that extra bit of forgiveness but damn the CB's sound/feel so good.
I think we share experiences on the launch, but I'll defer to you on the mis-hits as I haven't had a fair opportunity to get the Pros on course.

The sound does a pretty decent job on the video of profiling the depth difference in tone. I like some of the alternative terms I've read like yours.. "dull thump" haha - yessir.

I didn't hit TCBs. It's the X Forged CB (y)

I think we share experiences on the launch, but I'll defer to you on the mis-hits as I haven't had a fair opportunity to get the Pros on course.

"I'll defer to you on the mis=hits" .....cough cough.....subtle flex......cough cough. ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Likewise I haven't taken the XCB's on course but in a couple of fittings, my drop off on spin and ball speed with mishits on the pro's were lower than the XCB's but centered strikes had higher ball speed on the XCBs. Which tells me they are working exactly as designed. The Pro's being hollow bodied semi-cavity backs should help distribute more than the XCBs.

The sound does a pretty decent job on the video of profiling the depth difference in tone. I like some of the alternative terms I've read like yours.. "dull thump" haha - yessir.

Solid strikes on the Apex Pro aren't as deep as the XCB's but they have a soft muted sound. Where you really hear the difference ( well maybe not you but the rest of us :D ) is on high strikes. The hollow construction makes an appearance the higher up the face you hit the ball. Then you get that loud higher pitched thwack sound and it tells you right away you hit it high on the face. I didn't get the same with my limited time with the TCB.

Given the results I would say it was just right.

Seriously I think the camera angle is deceptive.
Just right is right. :D That's why I asked. I wanna hit my 7i that well!:(

I am in the same camp with the mishits with these 2. The good strikes were so good on the CBs.

I’ve been waiting on this one! Two tremendous irons!

Got it I am a little slow.
It's honestly confusing for so many people it makes me laugh at least once a week at a course. They could have separated names/letters a bit more.

Back