Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread wil serve as host for all of the reviews of the 815 DBD driver from Callaway Golf.

Cant wait to hear what these guys have to say.

This club looks great. Can't wait to see how KC does with this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's keep the thread clear until the guys have had a chance to post.

Very excited to give review of the 815 DBD. I have not seen this club in person yet. I should be able to provide a thorough run through and give some comparisons against 2014 Big Bertha, Alpha 815, and some other clubs. Being a huge Callaway and THP fan makes this an incredible honor and I will try my best to do it some justice

Very excited to give review of the 815 DBD. I have not seen this club in person yet. I should be able to provide a thorough run through and give some comparisons against 2014 Big Bertha, Alpha 815, and some other clubs. Being a huge Callaway and THP fan makes this an incredible honor and I will try my best to do it some justice

Super pumped they picked you as a tester . Can't wait to hear your comparisons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be focussing and reviewing the BBA 815 and that thread.....but I will be trying the DBD at the same time for a head on comparison. My gut feeling says I have no business hitting this club.

I said the same for the OG BBA but I eventually tamed the beast and it works like a champ. So I'll be adding in here some of my DBD findings.

Epon made a driver like this couple years ago called the Zero. Compact, deep face, and with marketing verbiage that basically said, "don't even bother if you can't find the middle of the face." I'm not a super consistent driver of the ball, but I loved that driver and got along great with it. I wonder if this DBD will be work for me!
The epon zero is 415 cc I believe. The DBD is still 460 cc but I would assume it hides it well due to deeper face. Definitely an interesting comparison

I am excited you are one of the testers as well. I am going in for a fitting tomorrow hopefully and I might be joining in on this review if things go how I think they will. If not I'll be in the the other 815 review thread. Haha

Really looking forward to seeing how the DBD compares to the '14 Big Bertha. I stayed away from the Alpha this year because I thought it might be little too much for me, so now I think I'm ready to take the next step up and see how the Gravity Core and low spin can change my tee game. I see that Kang games a 9.5* driver right now and I game the '14 Bertha at 11.5*, so I think we'll be able to give the DBD a nice, varied review from different perspectives.

Absolutely love the look of this driver. Can't wait to get it in my hands and out on the course.

Can't wait to follow along in this and the standard version threads!

Couldn't contain the excitement so went to golfsmith. Hit the 915 d2 and DBD. 915 d2 9.5 head set to a4 (1.5 up, 11°) and DBD 9° head set neutral. Rogue silver 70 stiff with 915 and 60 stiff with DBD
3cb115cd2f6623906d846042f4d44db3.jpg

The DBD comes in very long feeling with 45.5 stock shaft at a whopping d4 swing weight. Feels very heavy, can definitely feel the head. Initial tought on the looks is great. Very deceiving look as it does not at all look like 460 cc head. In fact looks smaller than my J40 445. One of my concern was how I didn't like the head shape of the original alpha. Deep face, shorter face to back length, and longer heel to toe look did not agree with me for some reason. I had feared the DBD would be similar look but it's not the case IMO. Still shorter face to back of crown than alpha 815, but it is more proportioned by my eye with the deeper face. Bottom line this club looks mean and when struck it delivers that meanness to the ball.

Just a lot of words right now, I will put proper comparison pics when I have this beast in hand

316 total.

Holy wow.

316 total.

Holy wow.
Hard to say how accurate that is. You know how these monitors are at box stores. Gc2 with simulation software, shot distance boost set to 1.0 (supposed to be sea level?) Otherwise sometimes I can out drive Jamie sadlowski lol

Figured I would post the side by sides in here as well as the original preview thread.

73i1pv.jpg

15nx7uq.jpg

The port for the Gravity Core looks like it has moved slightly forward in the 815 DBD

n2z61z.jpg

The Gravity Core length difference.

Couldn't contain the excitement so went to golfsmith. Hit the 915 d2 and DBD. 915 d2 9.5 head set to a4 (1.5 up, 11°) and DBD 9° head set neutral. Rogue silver 70 stiff with 915 and 60 stiff with DBD
3cb115cd2f6623906d846042f4d44db3.jpg

The DBD comes in very long feeling with 45.5 stock shaft at a whopping d4 swing weight. Feels very heavy, can definitely feel the head. Initial tought on the looks is great. Very deceiving look as it does not at all look like 460 cc head. In fact looks smaller than my J40 445. One of my concern was how I didn't like the head shape of the original alpha. Deep face, shorter face to back length, and longer heel to toe look did not agree with me for some reason. I had feared the DBD would be similar look but it's not the case IMO. Still shorter face to back of crown than alpha 815, but it is more proportioned by my eye with the deeper face. Bottom line this club looks mean and when struck it delivers that meanness to the ball.

Just a lot of words right now, I will put proper comparison pics when I have this beast in hand
316...? A little toe-y?

Great start Kang, can't wait to hear more.

316...? A little toe-y?

Great start Kang, can't wait to hear more.

First one dead smack in the center. Second one low on the face, third one high. Goes to show how much potential this club has

Lower ball speed with longer carry is a nice sign as well, I haven't gotten a chance to hit mine yet, I do like the looks of it.

Wow you crushed the DBD KC. Well done

I actually had one (very first swing with DBD) hit very low on the face and it carried 260+ and rolled out to 326. Very low spin, told myself no way that's right and deleted it. I am salivating to get it out on the course

Awesome Kang. Love the comparison. Looks like the DBD is quite low spin, I am liking that. I will be interested on how you feel the forgiveness is up and down the face.

I found out the shop near me still doesn't have the 815s in yet so I will have to wait for another day. I really want one of these in the bag soon.

Awesome Kang. Love the comparison. Looks like the DBD is quite low spin, I am liking that. I will be interested on how you feel the forgiveness is up and down the face.

I found out the shop near me still doesn't have the 815s in yet so I will have to wait for another day. I really want one of these in the bag soon.
Up and down the face from my initial quick session with it seems pretty forgiving. If you look at the numbers, you can tell the spin differences (losing spin dramatically low on the face, few hundred more high on the face). I did not note where the core was positioned, if i had to guess, i say down judging by the sound feedback. I didn't have any toe/heel misses with it today so can't comment on that. Just wait, it will come lol

Up and down the face from my initial quick session with it seems pretty forgiving. If you look at the numbers, you can tell the spin differences (losing spin dramatically low on the face, few hundred more high on the face). I did not note where the core was positioned, if i had to guess, i say down judging by the sound feedback. I didn't have any toe/heel misses with it today so can't comment on that. Just wait, it will come lol

Love it. Pretty similar to what the Alpha is for me. Great start and I can't wait to hear more.

Great start, Kang and some really good numbers. I know you are going to crush it as a tester (pun intended). I'll be paying attention to what your continued thoughts are in terms of forgiveness and distance compared to the original Alpha.

Back