Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Driver Review Thread

Awesome write up OUZO. Look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

Now that's what you call a write up!! Looking forward to more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that's what you call a write up!! Looking forward to more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for sure...definitely brought it with that

I put the BB Alpha 815 into play yesterday morning against a newly aquired SLDR S. I was out on the course by myself and due to the weather I was basically alone out there so I had a chance to do some head to head. I played two balls off the tee on each hole and had some pretty good results with both drivers. It seems I had remembered to bring a good swing with me because I couldn't miss a fairway with either stick for the most part.

I played the 815 at 10.5° N, Gravity Core up, with the stock Speeder 565 in stiff flex and the SLDR S 10° stock regular flex. Off the bat swinging both on the range the 815 is the heavier feeling club. I don't mind it at all though because it gives me a better feeling of where the club head is through the swing. Just doing practice swings I have to admit the SLDRs feels fantastic to me though. Feels more lightweight and gives me more confidence that I can really go after one.

Forgiveness isn't even close between the two as far as my misses are concerned. My misses are high off the toe and with the SLDRs this resulted in a strong fade into the woods while the Bertha was still straight on the money with maybe a slight distance loss of 5-10 yards. Pretty cool stuff. On shots right on the sweet spot for me and my swing, the SLDRs won. Shots on the money carried farther and had much better roll out.

Please keep in mind I was not fit for either club and am still in the process of finding what settings on the 815 work best for me. That will come with more rounds and less rain.

Good stuff Spring182.

So I wasn't the only one who thought the 815 felt heavier. Again this is a good thing form me.

And your comment about the toe miss is what I like to hear. This has me pumped. That's exactly my miss and before you know it it's out in the woods and not going straight.

Last edited:
I was able to spend some more time with mine on Saturday inbetween storms

The Forgivness is amazing it is the most forgiving Driver i have ever used while still maintaining enough distance the only issues i have with this driver more personal prefrence and have nothing to do with preformance. I have amazing confidence that when i hit it no matter where on the face i make contact it is still going to be in play. I would like to see a little less spin and lower flight on center strikes but i think some of that can be corrected with shaft choice( i either need to get an adapter for my Nasty Long or get a Rouge)this driver really is what i have need to help my driver game. I have always been long but not the most accurate too offen i find myself in the rough just off the fairway.

I am goning to Play with some other THPers this weekend and will be pulling the SLDR from the Bag for that round

I put the BB Alpha 815 into play yesterday morning against a newly aquired SLDR S. I was out on the course by myself and due to the weather I was basically alone out there so I had a chance to do some head to head. I played two balls off the tee on each hole and had some pretty good results with both drivers. It seems I had remembered to bring a good swing with me because I couldn't miss a fairway with either stick for the most part.

I played the 815 at 10.5° N, Gravity Core up, with the stock Speeder 565 in stiff flex and the SLDR S 10° stock regular flex. Off the bat swinging both on the range the 815 is the heavier feeling club. I don't mind it at all though because it gives me a better feeling of where the club head is through the swing. Just doing practice swings I have to admit the SLDRs feels fantastic to me though. Feels more lightweight and gives me more confidence that I can really go after one.

Forgiveness isn't even close between the two as far as my misses are concerned. My misses are high off the toe and with the SLDRs this resulted in a strong fade into the woods while the Bertha was still straight on the money with maybe a slight distance loss of 5-10 yards. Pretty cool stuff. On shots right on the sweet spot for me and my swing, the SLDRs won. Shots on the money carried farther and had much better roll out.

Please keep in mind I was not fit for either club and am still in the process of finding what settings on the 815 work best for me. That will come with more rounds and less rain.

I was able to spend some more time with mine on Saturday inbetween storms

The Forgivness is amazing it is the most forgiving Driver i have ever used while still maintaining enough distance the only issues i have with this driver more personal prefrence and have nothing to do with preformance. I have amazing confidence that when i hit it no matter where on the face i make contact it is still going to be in play. I would like to see a little less spin and lower flight on center strikes but i think some of that can be corrected with shaft choice( i either need to get an adapter for my Nasty Long or get a Rouge)this driver really is what i have need to help my driver game. I have always been long but not the most accurate too offen i find myself in the rough just off the fairway.

I am goning to Play with some other THPers this weekend and will be pulling the SLDR from the Bag for that round

Music to my ears guys! I'm this close to pushung the button on the BBA 815 w. a rogue silver 70 shaft for extra spin off the ball. Sounds like a good combo

Pics are up. Oh and forgive me if I screwed up somewhere. Did this all with an iPhone. Not a fun task.

Do you happen to have any numbers by chance? Was just wondering.... Thx!

Oh... and I don't suppose you have any swing videos with the driver too? That would be neat to see....

Cheers!

Do you happen to have any numbers by chance? Was just wondering.... Thx!
Ramon I have 2 hours booked for Wednesday on the LM. So I'll report back then. Probably they'll feed me the summary Thursday.

Ramon I have 2 hours booked for Wednesday on the LM. So I'll report back then. Probably they'll feed me the summary Thursday.

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing them. Cheers!

I cannot state enough how well people are hitting this driver at the THP Event. Guys are absolutely killing the ball.

Most talk I have heard is longer distances and yet seriously more forgiving.

Yes, I'm in love. Speeder 665 for me set at neutral 8*. Missed 3 fairways through 27 holes today.

Thought I would be playing some 2h off the tee but I can consistently poke this out there straight around 230-245 which is solid for me with very little roll.

I figured this thread would see some action after today....can't wait to get some more detailed thoughts from the team over the next week or so

I cannot state enough how well people are hitting this driver at the THP Event. Guys are absolutely killing the ball.

Most talk I have heard is longer distances and yet seriously more forgiving.
Alright you got me. I'll buy one.

Yes, I'm in love. Speeder 665 for me set at neutral 8*. Missed 3 fairways through 27 holes today.

Thought I would be playing some 2h off the tee but I can consistently poke this out there straight around 230-245 which is solid for me with very little roll.

Now you see my excitement with this one. Game changer for me. Glad you are hitting it well.

Now you see my excitement with this one. Game changer for me. Glad you are hitting it well.

It was gonna take something special to knock the BC+ out but this has.

And I haven't even got to try the handcrafted LZ yet in it.

Ha! I said the same thing about the 2014 BB, then this comes along.

Really love my BC+ too Cookie but I am definitely beyond intrigued by BBA 815 given how amazing you all hit them on day #1. I know you have important 'work' to do Captain so don't feel the need to respond until after you secure the belt, but 4 questions:
Do you see similar low spin to BC+?
Hotter when missing the sweetspot (I'm guessing a big yes)?
Hotter/longer when nutted?
I noticed you were fitted at 8*, I play BC+ at 8.5*, how does 815 BBA trajectory compare?

Last edited:
Really love my BC+ too Cookie but I am definitely beyond intrigued by BBA 815 given how amazing you all hit them on day #1. I know you have important 'work' to do Captain so don't feel the need to respond until after you secure the belt, but 4 questions:
Do you see similar low spin to BC+?
Hotter when missing the sweetspot (I'm guessing a big yes)?
Hotter/longer when nutted?
I noticed you were fitted at 9*, I play BC+ at 8.5*, how does 815 BBA trajectory compare?
Maybe j4u can come in. He plays the bc+ and he absolutely murders the 815.

My showdown BBA 815 vs BBA 14 goes down tomorrow morning.

All these reviews have me super excited.

My showdown BBA 815 vs BBA 14 goes down tomorrow morning.

All these reviews have me super excited.
Same happening tomorrow for me as well. J4u and milehighgolfer will also be there to give second and third opinions

Same happening tomorrow for me as well. J4u and milehighgolfer will also be there to give second and third opinions

Well three guys who absolutely murder the ball.

I'm anxious to hear results from the mortal crowd...you know those of is in the low to mid 90's swing speed.,,,Lol

Seriously I love seeing the numbers some of you #beastmode guys put up.

Back