Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Fairway Wood Preview

Definitely like the weight back for me. More forgiving with higher ball flight. Love the compact shape as well. Next test is the 815 vs. XR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was originally going with the XR because I was smashing that one and being a leftie, no one has the 815 in LH locally much less one to demo. However the ability to adjust the loft and the ball flight by adjusting the weights just appealed too much so I took a leap of faith and ordered a 14 and a 16 last week.

You know, I've honestly not even tried moving the weights around. I need to do that when I'm at the range this week to see how it works for me. That said, I really like the flight and feel with the heavier weight in the back.

I may give that a chance next time I go out. What's the worse that happens right?

Today I hit the 815 FW 16* -1 3g in front 30g in back & 14* 30g in front 3g in back both Speeder Stiff, I will say the ball fly's off the club. I preferred the 14* but could go either way. I am not playing enough golf to warrant getting one, but i def might in the future.

I hit the 16* today. It's getting added to the bag. Only question is Speeder 765 or Alpha Silver 70.

I hit the 16* today. It's getting added to the bag. Only question is Speeder 765 or Alpha Silver 70.
I like Speeder. But that's just me.

I put my DI-7 from the MC into it and like it so far, but really need to glue up another tip for an LZ and try that combo. If it gives me a similar or higher launch than the DI-7, hello there.

I forgot the LZ is a no charge upgrade. Can someone remind me the difference between the LZ and LZ Pro?

I just ordered a 5w with the LZ Pro.:banana: In 5-7 days I will report back with my findings

LZ Pro is a heavier shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am moving heavy weight up. I have been seeing some highish flights. Nice and straight, but I want to wring out a few more yards.

Ive wondered about these kinda of like the X2hot vs XR line. Is there that much of a gain over the BB from last year?

Hit this in 16* yesterday with the stock speeder shaft30g weight in back. I had no problem launching the ball off the turf high flight to about 230 carry and 250 with roll out (according to trackman) I don't know how accurate tractman is computing distance but ball flight was just what I like and just went a long long way. Needless to say the first Callaway club I've ever owned is on order. Looking forward to gaming the 815 3 wood 16* with speeder shaft!

I have the weight forward on my 5 wood and back on my 3 wood, so far it has given me trajectories that I am happy with. Still getting used to the lower profile heads moving from the Deep line from last season. Very pleased with them so far.

Apologies if I missed this skimming. Does adjusting the front back weighting make a greater impact on launch than adjusting the loft on the hosel? Would say a club set to 14* 30 grams back launch higher than if it were set to 15* or 16* with the 30 grams forward? Would 13* back launch higher than 16* forward, etc... I'd be very interested in any observations (or numbers) from those with some experience tweaking this club. I believe I'm getting one of these fairways at some point in the near (I hope) future but due to some completely bizarre CG customer service I have zero idea which loft or flex it might be. I'm assuming I'll be giving up my awesome (but defective) '14 BB 3W in the transaction and I really won't have much opportunity to play with the 815 and tweak it in. As a shorter hitter I use a fairway wood frequently and might be able to save some valuable time tuning this one in with your all's observations. Thanks!

Apologies if I missed this skimming. Does adjusting the front back weighting make a greater impact on launch than adjusting the loft on the hosel? Would say a club set to 14* 30 grams back launch higher than if it were set to 15* or 16* with the 30 grams forward? Would 13* back launch higher than 16* forward, etc... I'd be very interested in any observations (or numbers) from those with some experience tweaking this club. I believe I'm getting one of these fairways at some point in the near (I hope) future but due to some completely bizarre CG customer service I have zero idea which loft or flex it might be. I'm assuming I'll be giving up my awesome (but defective) '14 BB 3W in the transaction and I really won't have much opportunity to play with the 815 and tweak it in. As a shorter hitter I use a fairway wood frequently and might be able to save some valuable time tuning this one in with your all's observations. Thanks!
My understanding, moving the weights will affect spin more than anything (and as an aside, forgiveness).

The hosel adjustments will affect ball flight.

I hit my 815 16* 5 times today. Once off the tee and the rest on par 5s and I love it. The tee shot actually went too far and ran through the fairway at 265 yards. The par 5 shots were, 235 cut around a tree, a 245ish layup after a poor tee shot, and two bombs at 255+ pin high. I've never hit a 3w as high and long and I'm in love with everything 815. I may be pushing my trusty 910 hybrids out of the bag if I get to try the hybrids. Unfortunately, I still need to putt so my scores don't show significant improvement but it's easier to shoot the scores I'm shooting.

After hitting a few more at the local Golfsmith last week I pulled the trigger & ordered a 14* FW w/ the speeder shaft, should be here tomorrow

I played my first round with my new 14* fairway on Saturday. For me, a 3W is typically a second shot club to scoot the ball as far down the fairway as I can on long par 4s or par 5s. Pathetic I know, but the sad truth is I usually total around 185-190 yards off the deck on good strikes with a 3W. I used it on two holes Saturday and came away very pleased. The second hole I used it on was a long par 4 and I hoped to possibly bump it onto the front of the green 195 out (per my GPS watch). Instead I got all the way back to the back pin, 13 feet left of the hole, 217 yards. Huge for me with a 3W, especially considering it was the second hole I ever pulled it on and how accurate it was.

I tested it some at the range the preceding week and ended up at 13* with the heavy weight forward. In reference to my post earlier about how moving the weight related to changing the loft, my findings are they impact launch very similarly. Bumping loft up a degree on the hosel resulted (on average) a 1.1 degree change in observed launch, exactly the same change as moving the 30 gram weight from front to back while keeping the loft the same. One other note to how that relates to me. I also experienced (on average) a 0.9 mph gain in measured ball speed by placing the 30 gram weight forward and was more prone to just fade the ball versus not knowing if it would fade or draw.

Last edited:
I played around with the weights today for the first time and noticed a significant difference. With the weight back, it was high draw/straight repeatedly as I've seen on the course. With the weight forward, I noticed a lower flight, a definite increase in distance of probably 10-12 yards but also a definite decrease in forgiveness laterally on some average swings. Those same swings with the weight back have produced solid results whereas with it forward they were way off target. I'm not sure what direction to go at the moment. I love the confidence/forgiveness with the weight back, but I always want more distance too. Hmmm.....

I'm sure this has been answered (asked a similar question in the driver thread), but it the 815 a worthy update to the 2014 Big Bertha fairways?

I love my 2014. I'm considering getting an 815 driver head and already have the 815 hybrid (first hybrid that isn't a hook monster), and it just makes sense to update the fairway if I update the driver.

hit it twice Saturday one not good, once really good.

Looking forward to a demo day Saturday and this is going to be out head to head with the XR Pro 16* fairway to determine who goes in my bag. Will keep updated on progress in both threads.

I think they are a big upgrade over the previous version. They launch very easy and the LZ shaft helps make them even more friendly IMO. Have not had the pleasure of hitting the XR yet, so no help there.

I'm thinking I need to pick up a 16* of these to compliment my driver. My wallet doesn't seem to agree. Lol

Took me a while but I found a Tour AD BB 7S to go in my fairway. Will be fun to see what the results are next to the stock XR that I have been hitting well. I think there may be room for both playing the XR at 15* (and hitting it almost as far as the driver on several occasions) as another option off the tee and the 815 at 17* from the deck.

Back