Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Fairway Wood Preview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Big Bertha Alpha 815 Fairway Woods are designed for ball speed and forgiveness at every impact location, especially on misses low on the face, from a Forged Hyper Speed Face Cup. They also have adjustable weights (3g and 30g) that can be used to move the weight forward for a low spinning ball flight that’s great off the tee, or to move the weight back for higher launch and more forgiveness.

Available 1/16/15
Price $299

Interesting. The adjustability seems so obvious. I love it.

After seeing this first hand, I'm sure these clubs will be very popular

Hmmm. I could see an addition to my bag. Something around a 3-4 wood range. Grandaddy guys have these in play?

I like that Callaway has continued the shallower faces for these FWs.

The adjustability is also very interesting. If they are an improvement over the BB FWs, they will be incredible.

• Admin
Hmmm. I could see an addition to my bag. Something around a 3-4 wood range. Grandaddy guys have these in play?

Yes, I think most of them do.

I am very intrigued by this club!!

Sharp looking. Seems like the weights could make a fairly noticeable difference in performance.

I was so enamored with the hybrids that I'm not even sure I swung this during my recent fitting. I absolutely regret that now as in all honesty I can say that I didn't even know about the adjustable weights in this one.

Kinda funny in hindsight as often we see those weights on clubs and they are mostly aesthetics....not the case here. This could've been fun. Dammit!!

I like my current fairways but it could be time for an update and these have gone straight to the top of the ponder list (plus I want to try the Rogue shaft)

exactly my thought

same here. he BB fw was amazing in my fitting last week, if i didn't already know these were coming i might have bought the BB. These are high on the list as i start to re-do my bag.

I like that Callaway has continued the shallower faces for these FWs.

The adjustability is also very interesting. If they are an improvement over the BB FWs, they will be incredible.
My thoughts as well. I just play this style so much better from the deck. The adjustability makes it playable by a multitude of players and their needs. Will be interesting to hear people's thoughts as they switch around the weights.

Wardy has me excited about these.

Damn you Wardy.

Could definitely see gaming one of these but first want to see their X2Hot replacement. Still enjoying the X2Hot Pro's and didn't get along with the BB FW.

Can't wait to see if the 16* will knock out my Big Bertha Pro 16*, which has been the best fairway wood I've ever tried.

I've got a feeling that 16* and heavy weight forward might be a beautiful thing.

Pretty cool with the weights and being able to alter flight based on what you want that day on the course.

After switching from the V series to the BB 815 Alpha driver. I think the V series 3 wood will be replaced by the 815 Alpha 3 w. Cannot wait to hit this club.

I can't wait to get one of these. Held a righty in my hands and the only thing wrong with it at that moment was it was right handed.

Saw it in action and its a cannon. The weight shifting works and it's imprissive.

I gave hard time hitting FW's for some reason. Seems to be more mental than anything else. I'm interested to see if these are easier to hit than the 2014 BB I had for a while in the bag.

I like the weight concept & can see it being beneficial during certain conditions.

After reading about these in The Grandaddy thread, I look forward to giving these a try.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I love my XHot woods so it would take a lot to get them out of the bag. With that said if theses are as good as the driver then it may just happen

"ball speed and forgiveness at every impact location, especially on misses low on the face" You have my attention

Talk about adjustability and having options, possibilities seem endless. Looks like it could fit a few different slots in a bag!

I got fit for a 5 wood that we set to 17* as this is my preferred loft for a fairway at the #grandaddy. I really didn't get any opportunities to use it on the course yet so I sent it to Florida with Wardy as I won't get a chance to play again for several months. I am sure he can chime in with some feedback

3d20689dd343ccfe5a6adb1568adc289.jpg

Back