Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

I had a dozen Chrome Softs from last year's sale.

I played my normal QST on the front 9 today. I'd tossed a sleeve of CS in the bag just as a change of pace. That ball is SO good. Iron shots felt amazing at impact. The one thing is that they are 5-10 yards longer than the QST. My iron play was pretty good today and I watched balls go longer than I expected on 13, 14, 15, 17 and 18.

But it sounds like the Chrome Tour is more for former CS-LS players...so the new CS is probably the best fit. (or some old CS on sale. :))

My comfort zone is still Chrome Soft, TP5 and ProV1. I need to see the improvements on the Chrome Soft 2024 vs last year.

I've seen a lot about durability again lately. I came across a situation last time out where I thought about it. I've shared my personal thoughts on it with these before, but this is an example of the real outcomes for me out there and how I view it.

I've seen a lot about durability again lately. I came across a situation last time out where I thought about it. I've shared my personal thoughts on it with these before, but this is an example of the real outcomes for me out there and how I view it.

I agree there does have to be some considerations of where you hit the ball. I have seen some scuffs and cuts on the 1 sleeve I have used so far. The golf balls went on some adventures so I wouldn't deem the ball not durable. The first iteration of the Mizuno RB Tour balls I had a lot of issues after 2-3 shots.

Okay just wrapped up a little ball test leading up to the Goat Cup.
20 swings with each, 10 with wedge and 10 with 7 iron.
Chrome Tour vs Chrome Soft

I really like both balls quite a bit. Chrome Tour giving me a bit more speed. Chrome Soft taking spin down a few hundred rpms.
I feel like I can fall either way, but lean towards Chrome Tour.

I really like both balls quite a bit. Chrome Tour giving me a bit more speed. Chrome Soft taking spin down a few hundred rpms.
I think that speaks volumes to the ball since you were all in on CS last year and they made that ball better as well

I agree there does have to be some considerations of where you hit the ball. I have seen some scuffs and cuts on the 1 sleeve I have used so far. The golf balls went on some adventures so I wouldn't deem the ball not durable. The first iteration of the Mizuno RB Tour balls I had a lot of issues after 2-3 shots.
Yeah I thought about it with the desert guys. Give me one fairway bunker that's thin, or something to side of the fairway that's a little scratchy and it'll happen. Regardless of the ball. On the other end I've played 5 rounds with one where I don't end up in a spot like that and have no issues. Which all seems pretty reasonable to me.

How does the 2024 Chrome Soft compare to the 2023 Chrome Soft? Noticable changes?

I think that speaks volumes to the ball since you were all in on CS last year and they made that ball better as well
I think it might. I am waffling something fierce, but the Chrome Tour just gives me better numbers and I can't ignore that.
How does the 2024 Chrome Soft compare to the 2023 Chrome Soft? Noticable changes?
It was 2022, but yes, there are changes.
First, I would say if you have not read through the article, definitely start there. There were quite a few changes to the ball.
Its faster for me, but not some crazy amount. Routinely 1-2 mph faster. Spin is similar to what I was seeing before and the feel is what I have come to expect.
I have not played the Chrome Soft outside as of yet, strictly tech studio for data.

Is there much change in ball flight between CS and CT for you? or is that staying the consistent between them?

Chrome Tour tracking shows theyll be delivered today. Excited to do some putting with them when I get home

My experience with them is all outdoors on the course/practice green. No numbers, just seat of the pants from playing them both, but I could fall either way as well. I don't see huge differences between them on the course (slightly better feel with the CS vs slightly better greenside performance from the CT), but that's probably more about my inconsistent game than it is about the balls themselves. They're both great balls and I'd be happy to play either one of them.

I'm going with Chrome Soft for now. I bought a dozen TruTrack, and have 4 dozen TT coming on the B3G1 deal, so they'll be my gamer for a while.

Is there much change in ball flight between CS and CT for you? or is that staying the consistent between them?
Give me through the GOAT Cup and let me tell you. I want to test Chrome Soft outside, because their new dimple design is intriguing.

I still have a couple dozen of the '22 CS and have been playing them back and forth with the '24 CS. The biggest difference I notice is that the new model seems to have a bit more spin around the greens. Feel is virtually identical, the white is brighter on the '24 model, and the graphics on the ball changed very slightly.

Give me through the GOAT Cup and let me tell you. I want to test Chrome Soft outside, because their new dimple design is intriguing.
Sounds good! Will be interesting to see if that is a determining factor or not

I played my first two rounds in warm weather yesterday and today and I used the Chrome Tour X. I really like the way it behaves with the irons and around the greens. I have a hit a few drives that seemed to spin a bit more than I would like but a lot of that was likely me. I played the full round with one ball yesterday and I didn’t feel the need to put it in the shag bag. In fact today I played the same ball through about 12 holes then hit one off some rocks and scuffed it up pretty good so I put the ball from yesterday in play.

I was thinking of trying the Chrome Tour tomorrow but I am playing in a member guest and am pretty comfortable with the X so not sure if I should change.

Did a little wedge testing with some newly shafted CBX4's and decided to see how the CT and CTX were comparing a while after my first tests. The gap in spin has closed a bit it seems, though the CTX is still probably the ball I'd choose if I were going on wedge performance alone.

Just a partial 54 degree swing here. I pulled one of the five Chrome Tour swings out of the data set, because it was a low outlier.

Chrome Tour
1709904959167.png

Chrome Tour X
1709905002999.png

I've been doing some ball testing with these and a few others. I posted my putter feedback a week or so back but haven't had time to post about the other results.

Impressions during testing were that I probably preferred CTX over CT as it felt more controlled and consistent. But there were some odd things in the numbers with these balls.

First odd note is that CT produced the single highest spinning shot while hitting a full 60* (not part of my data, just messing around), off a partial 50 yard wedge and off a PW.

Second odd note is that CT produced the single highest ballspeed with driver, being the only ball to touch 160. Just couldn't get there with CTX.

Both of those are completely counterintuitive, along with CTX feeling softer/denser off putter. 🤷‍♂️

All the data is labeled with club type. We have a 50 yard partial 56*, PW, 7i, 4i, driver.

20240301_163136.jpg

20240301_165043.jpg

20240301_170817.jpg

20240301_180446.jpg

20240301_173256.jpg

I'm playing golf on Sunday and I am pretty familiar with the course, where I typically hit my drives and second shot distances. The greens can be tricky so I will definitely be able to have some feedback on spin/check into the greens.

I know I've mentioned it before but I'm going to mention it again. The feel of the CTX is a little mind bending when it comes to putter. Yesterday, I putted with my Ai-One as well as my Toulon Chicago (so WH insert and a fully milled) and on both putters the X felt softer.

I have a post here that tries to show the sound difference between the CT and the CSXLS. The CT is much improved in sound and feel over the LS and the CTX makes the CT feel clicky when you go back to back. CT isn't clicky AT ALL when you just putt normally, but going from one to the other quickly is where my mind is breaking still.

All I've been able to do is putt so far so it's about all I can talk about currently. And when a higher compression ball feels softer off of a putter regardless of insert or milled, it's still worth mentioning more than once. I am dying to get outside to play with these and see which one is right for me. I have three dozen of each so I'm sure it will take all year for me to figure it out lol

I've been doing some ball testing with these and a few others. I posted my putter feedback a week or so back but haven't had time to post about the other results.

Impressions during testing were that I probably preferred CTX over CT as it felt more controlled and consistent. But there were some odd things in the numbers with these balls.

First odd note is that CT produced the single highest spinning shot while hitting a full 60* (not part of my data, just messing around), off a partial 50 yard wedge and off a PW.

Second odd note is that CT produced the single highest ballspeed with driver, being the only ball to touch 160. Just couldn't get there with CTX.

Both of those are completely counterintuitive, along with CTX feeling softer/denser off putter. 🤷‍♂️

All the data is labeled with club type. We have a 50 yard partial 56*, PW, 7i, 4i, driver.

View attachment 9247275

View attachment 9247276

View attachment 9247277

View attachment 9247278

View attachment 9247279
The spin with the CTX on the 50 yard shot is WILD

Ooooooooo. I like this

The spin with the CTX on the 50 yard shot is WILD
For sure. In fairness I hit that set of shots really well. Every ball generated that type of spin on a perfect shot, the consistency with CTX was exceptional. The really wild thing is I got 8k with one shot using standard CT. Didn't replicate that with any other ball.

I have been hitting a CT for the last couple of weeks. I am not doing hard core data-driven comparisons, but qualitatively, I like what I see. Ball speeds and spin are good. Feel is excellent. Performance is very similar for me to the pro v1, but the feel on irons and wedges is a touch better. I plan to grab a dozen and start the year playing the CT.

You guys have me so hyped for the new CT I had to grab a 3/1 offer. They came in yesterday and I'll be putting them in play on Sunday! I have a feeling it's going to be a big adjustment green side compared to the Supersofts I usually play.

Back