Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

See the blue number. That was Canadan’s drive with Sub Zero

4b4dd75bf300a91e4ed2ebbf203638e0.jpg
I reiterate...cyborg.

That's insane!

Last edited:
Got to hit the regular flash today for the first time today and i came away impressed only got to try 2 shafts and numbers were good with both. The feel and sound were a surprise not in a bad way just a way different feel and sound from the current gamer XR 16. Really wasn't looking for a new driver but had to hit it and that probably was not a good idea.

Mickelson back with the trusty Callaway Rogue SubZero Driver in the bag today.

Is he really? Didn’t get to watch much of Pebble this week. Wonder what the reason is? Interesting.

You're still my hero.

...and this driver will HAUNT me hahaha

I would guess it is an ideal profile for you. Somebody I know of who has a swing similar to yours, very smooth, fast, and generating spin, has said the Flash Sub Zero have him as long of drives as he has ever seen on a launch monitor.

You're still my hero.

It will help us mere mortals! Glad to see you test the “forgiveness” for us

It will help us mere mortals! Glad to see you test the “forgiveness” for us

We'll have a ton more on what I found during the monitor session (which is kind of nuts), but I can gladly speak about my round today.

Tired swings usually mean toe side to me and I found it a fair bit today. Hit some draws, some bigger draws, and some hangers that stuck the line. Distance wasn't amazing but it was plenty enough to still see wedges in hand into greens (on a number of 400+ yard par 4s).

The last couple though. Dear sweet 9 pound baby jesus...

Also, more thoughts on the sound front.

The Epic Flash drivers are not quiet. No one who will hit them alongside other drivers, especially some of the muted ones, are going to say it's loud(er). And I won't contest it for a second.

Here's my takeaway; Sub Zero is quieter in my experience than regular Flash. I hit it probably 12-13 times on the course today and a bunch of the range and I could travel a bit away from center maintaining the sound. What i did notice, was that the sound high on the face and towards the toe with Flash is about as loud as you can make this driver, and it's not a small sound.

End of the day? On the button, Sub Zero for me is fantastic. That's all that matters to me. Way dialed up from OG Epic and probably Rogue, but I dig it because those bad boys were muted.

We'll have a ton more on what I found during the monitor session (which is kind of nuts), but I can gladly speak about my round today.

Tired swings usually mean toe side to me and I found it a fair bit today. Hit some draws, some bigger draws, and some hangers that stuck the line. Distance wasn't amazing but it was plenty enough to still see wedges in hand into greens (on a number of 400+ yard par 4s).

The last couple though. Dear sweet 9 pound baby jesus...

Captain, what’s your preferred ball height when teeing it up with driver?
Ball above crown?
Middle of ball equal with crown?
Lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ball above crown?
Lower?

I have a visual height that I set to... Honestly not sure I could tell you what it is.

Over the last year I've transitioned my AoA from -1 to -2 to consistently positive. Most right around +1 right now, and it's paid huge dividends. I'll bet the ball sits just at the top of the crown.

I’m with EF right now

c7de734d9a34fb4ec28086d849424fa1.jpg

Jealous

Ball above crown?
Lower?

Do you notice a sound difference with each one?

I have a visual height that I set to... Honestly not sure I could tell you what it is.

Over the last year I've transitioned my AoA from -1 to -2 to consistently positive. Most right around +1 right now, and it's paid huge dividends. I'll bet the ball sits just at the top of the crown.

Gotcha. I started experimenting with tee height today and results were

You're still my hero.

Just teach me the ways of this "center face" technique, Sensei Red Beard.

Tell me more!!!

Played first 5 holes with ball above the crown and of course got plenty of height but carry suffered trying to pivot to strike on the upstroke.

Then when I switched to half ball equal with crown launch conditions improved and left to right flight lessened.

Finally played last 9 holes with ball 3/4 under top of crown and I appear to have found my comfort level. Carry and total distance decreased but control and dispersion increased. Flight improved as well with a more piercing flight out of all three set ups. Think I’ll be trying it more next time out.

@OITW I can’t really comment on sound as my driver is already dampened by Hm

Also, more thoughts on the sound front.

The Epic Flash drivers are not quiet. No one who will hit them alongside other drivers, especially some of the muted ones, are going to say it's loud(er). And I won't contest it for a second.

Here's my takeaway; Sub Zero is quieter in my experience than regular Flash. I hit it probably 12-13 times on the course today and a bunch of the range and I could travel a bit away from center maintaining the sound. What i did notice, was that the sound high on the face and towards the toe with Flash is about as loud as you can make this driver, and it's not a small sound.

End of the day? On the button, Sub Zero for me is fantastic. That's all that matters to me. Way dialed up from OG Epic and probably Rogue, but I dig it because those bad boys were muted.
Yep, this is pretty much what I’ve been saying for weeks.

Played first 5 holes with ball above the crown and of course got plenty of height but carry suffered trying to pivot to strike on the upstroke.

Then when I switched to half ball equal with crown launch conditions improved and left to right flight lessened.

Finally played last 9 holes with ball 3/4 under top of crown and I appear to have found my comfort level. Carry and total distance decreased but control and dispersion increased. Flight improved as well with a more piercing flight out of all three set ups. Think I’ll be trying it more next time out.

@OITW I can’t really comment on sound as my driver is already dampened by Hm
I have also observed that tee height is more delicate with this driver than some others I’ve played.

Agreed on all counts Dan.

One thing I would add is that sliding the APW in the regular Flash all the way to the heel does seem to soften the sound a little, compared to having it in the center or toe.

Is he really? Didn’t get to watch much of Pebble this week. Wonder what the reason is? Interesting.
He was searching for some added distance but had much bigger misses with the Flash. And Phil is someone who always loves the NewTech. For him to indicate he is playing the Rogue thru the Masters is saying something. Score one for the OldTech!

Would be a nice win for the Rogue if he fends off Casey today!

One thing to note, EF is playing better overall for me with a softer flex shaft than my normal gamer aka custom THCE shaft. I’m hoping to get numbers soon but I’m thinking the softer shaft is helping me square up a little better or improving lag

One thing to note, EF is playing better overall for me with a softer flex shaft than my normal gamer aka custom THCE shaft. I’m hoping to get numbers soon but I’m thinking the softer shaft is helping me square up a little better or improving lag

The EF green?
It felt light to me (cortex with Atmos blue is heavy feeling of course) but I think with some work the green in flash could be a good combo

We've chatted about this, but like you I found the softer 5.0 flex Smoke to feel better throughout the swing than the 6.0 flex. I didnt take my custom THCE or the Oban with me, but I know I can test those out on the course/range when i get the driver.

I noticed the same thing, Went from 63 6.0 in the HZRDUS Yellow to UST Proforce V2 5F4 (57 gram) and saw higher ball speeds.
Wonder if it could be the way the head is shaped and different Aerodynamics.

The EF green?
It felt light to me (cortex with Atmos blue is heavy feeling of course) but I think with some work the green in flash could be a good combo

Not the evenflow. I meant Epic flash when I wrote EF. Currently I’m using a GP6 shaft over my custom since I was having trouble trying to turn the ball over with my custom.

Back