Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Maybe it was viewing the Nellie Korda swing vides, but I was smashing the Speed today after the first 3 holes - from #4 on, I was hitting the ball on the nose with one exception. Experimented a little. I have not hit a draw purposely in 4 yrs and hit some beauties. Also, hit some low and left. Experimented with Fades and Draws. Fun day. Scoring not great - 45/37 but another steady back nine. 11/14 fwys. Fun day. 95F and 2 club wind. My 15 yr old and I played for the last time before he heads to school tomorrow. Back to work. lol.

Also knocked the Speed 7 wd pretty well. I like the Speed and have a 4 wd coming in.

I have not been very happy with my Epic Speed. I have been using an EvenFlow T1100 6.0 with my 9*head turned down to 8* and I am getting way too much height on a lot of my tee shots. Also the face just does not seem as hot as the Mavrik was. Looking at other options right now as I typically love me some Callaway, but not digging the Speed.

I have not been very happy with my Epic Speed. I have been using an EvenFlow T1100 6.0 with my 9*head turned down to 8* and I am getting way too much height on a lot of my tee shots. Also the face just does not seem as hot as the Mavrik was. Looking at other options right now as I typically love me some Callaway, but not digging the Speed.

I am playing the Speed at 8 degrees. My son has the Mav, I have the Speed - I've hit both with the same shaft. The Speed IS JUST AS HOT.

Sounds as if it is just not a good fit for you. My flight is mid, high mid, high. Maybe you need another combo.

But good luck.

For me Speed has been a game changer. Started with epic went to rogue and then Epic flash. Flash was a disaster and went back to rogue. Oddly enough the best shaft fit for me was the stock Tensi R flex from the rogue used in the speed. Also changed from prov1x to the regular prov. Spin seems to give me better launch and carry. Finley was talking one time about low spin drivers and how a little more spin might help. I tried it and it worked for me. I always had a weak fade and an now hit draws......even when I need the fade :) it that’s another conversation. All settings on my speed are stated and neutral. Ymmv

For me Speed has been a game changer. Started with epic went to rogue and then Epic flash. Flash was a disaster and went back to rogue. Oddly enough the best shaft fit for me was the stock Tensi R flex from the rogue used in the speed. Also changed from prov1x to the regular prov. Spin seems to give me better launch and carry. Finley was talking one time about low spin drivers and how a little more spin might help. I tried it and it worked for me. I always had a weak fade and an now hit draws......even when I need the fade :) it that’s another conversation. All settings on my speed are stated and neutral. Ymmv

Funny thing is though the prov1x launches AND spins more than the prov1

Funny thing is though the prov1x launches AND spins more than the prov1
Off driver, not true for me. I love it in irons for it's lift and spin (which seems even more with the current version), but it consistently launches lower for me off driver. Rockets. I love it for that too.

I was hitting my Epic Speed driver much better tonight.. getting closer!!

@LDUBFIREGOLFER Actually it is the opposite for me with driver and fairway woods. I can live with reduced in around the greens. Like I said your mileage may vary

@LDUBFIREGOLFER Actually it is the opposite for me with driver and fairway woods. I can live with reduced in around the greens. Like I said your mileage may vary

That's weird but I understand it happens with certain swings......I stuck with 2019 prov1x due to increase in both driver and iron launch/spin .....as @OldandStiff said the 21 ball is even moreso......again I need spin increase but glad you found your ball!

That's weird but I understand it happens with certain swings......I stuck with 2019 prov1x due to increase in both driver and iron launch/spin .....as @OldandStiff said the 21 ball is even moreso......again I need spin increase but glad you found your ball!
In fairness I did leave out that my v1x was actually the left dash version. Sorry 😞

In fairness I did leave out that my v1x was actually the left dash version. Sorry 😞

Yes, COMPLETELY different animal.....no worries and thanks for clarification......that is definitely a low spin monster and a great choice for those players needing reduction...... all good and keep up the great play! 😁

An ask....for comparison purposes, can someone post a front on shot of the Callaway Epic Max 3+ Wood (or 3 wood) with the Taylormade Sim2 Max D? I want to compare the depths/height to see which one has a taller face.

Thanks in advance!

First 9 holes in after work. I took the sliding weight from my Epic Flash so the heads weigh the same and it feels like it will be a seamless transition.

Distances were good and just like the EF it seems very forgiving.

First 9 holes in after work. I took the sliding weight from my Epic Flash so the heads weigh the same and it feels like it will be a seamless transition.

Distances were good and just like the EF it seems very forgiving.
Glad it went well first time out.

Past two nine hole rounds I've freaking smashed the ball. I don't think I've had a better feeling driver with the ball coming out of the middle of the face than I've felt with the Speed. My drives just flyyyyyyyyy. Now if I could make this a consistent thing, @Snickerdog would have watch out this weekend ;)

Hope this is the right place to post this as couldn't find another thread.
I cracked the head of my ping g400 lst, and purchased a Epic Max LS.
Wow what a club. For sure longer than my ping and is so forgiving. I've never hit so many fairways.
1628712994453_image001.png

Hope this is the right place to post this as couldn't find another thread.
I cracked the head of my ping g400 lst, and purchased a Epic Max LS.
Wow what a club. For sure longer than my ping and is so forgiving. I've never hit so many fairways.
View attachment 9021871
I'm glad you like the LS. It has been phenomenal for me.

A lack luster day with the Max LS, but that is all on me of course. Still managed a one over round though.

Max LS is on the way. Can't wait to give it a shot.

I've read a few different things. Anyone have direct comparison with Speed TD LS vs Max LS? Looking for flight and spin in particular at similar stated loft. I played my Std Speed at 9 turned -1 and I'm playing my Max LS 9 at 9 and seeing similar flight but lower spin. Really liking the Max LS performance but if I can get same performance with the Std sound and feel, I might try the TD LS head.

Random thought: the Apex Pro hybrids are awesome! Cannons that just don't go left easily. I now have the 20 and 23 in my bag and today both shined when needed.

Back