Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

@Snickerdog found another shaft combo that could be the meal ticket.....graphite design AD-TP 5R .....allowing me to shape confidently unlike Tensei Blue (steady cuts) I also believe I'm gonna see distance gains while still keeping fairways in OUR zone (a TON) lol
I have tried a Tour AD but not that one, those are good shafts for sure. I'll be looking for your thoughts on it.

My overall game is down lately with my scores up 5-6 strokes and good iron shots are rare. My driving however has stayed good and surprisingly consistent with the Max LS. I do not get upset when I play poorly but having those huge center cut drives replaying in my head on the way home makes it easy to move on from a bad round and makes me want to get back out there again quickly.

View attachment trim.A8744A3C-D9A1-4526-81BA-2CE23580DE06.MOV

So I was able to get my hands on this shaft and not having swung it before, decided to take it to the course. Let’s say it instantly kicked out the GD XC, which I was really liking, out the bag. Hit driver as much as I could and ended up finding 71% of fairways which is unheard of for me. LOL.

View attachment 9023577

So I was able to get my hands on this shaft and not having swung it before, decided to take it to the course. Let’s say it instantly kicked out the GD XC, which I was really liking, out the bag. Hit driver as much as I could and ended up finding 71% of fairways which is unheard of for me. LOL.
Did you happen to test the Max LS against that head? Interested in differences if so. Thanks,

I like the Epic Speed woods - picked up a 4 wood in the Riptide 60 and that shaft seems to agree with me. It goes well with the Riptide 70 in the 7 wood. I am looking for consistency and ease, and these have potential. The 7 wd go far... for me.

Did you happen to test the Max LS against that head? Interested in differences if so. Thanks,

Yeah I did. Not with the Trono shaft though. But with the GD XC I did.I posted about it a few posts back. But the main thing for me was ball speed retention. I was actually getting more ball speed with the 💎💎💎 LS. Also preferred the sound and feel of the LS. That’s not to say the Max LS was bad. I really liked that one too. The LS just edged it out for me

Im not a fairway wood user, but the Epic Speed FW Wood is a ball speed monster.

Im not a fairway wood user, but the Epic Speed FW Wood is a ball speed monster.

Yeah it is. Everyone I have let hit the Speed 4 wood comments on how fast it seems to jump off the face. Last time I did some numbers on a GC, I was averaging 147.9 mph with a couple peaking above 150. Just an absolute rocket and now one of my favorite clubs in the bag.

Yeah it is. Everyone I have let hit the Speed 4 wood comments on how fast it seems to jump off the face. Last time I did some numbers on a GC, I was averaging 147.9 mph with a couple peaking above 150. Just an absolute rocket and now one of my favorite clubs in the bag.
Its wreaking havoc on my pea brained size thinking as I rebuild the bottom of the bag.

Its wreaking havoc on my pea brained size thinking as I rebuild the bottom of the bag.

Between this and the new super hybrid, are the days of your second "mini" driver numbered? :D Inquiring minds want to know.

Between this and the new super hybrid, are the days of your second "mini" driver numbered? :D Inquiring minds want to know.

They might be. Or I end up with 4 clubs to play with down at that end of the bag and really have some fun :LOL:

hmm. I have the Mavrik Sub Zero 4w in the bag now and it’s a bomber!! Haven’t had a chance to hit the Speed version yet.

hit my buddies 3w max this weekend...now have the 5 wood on route...damn friends lol

edit: has anyone with the max in this thread played around with the weights and seen much difference in ball flight?

Shaft fitting yesterday. Glad we were able to test with a GC Quad indoors and out on the range. The hitting bay is large but I struggle with drivers in them. I told the fitter (club pro); “you probably hear it all the time but that’s not my ball flight.” We collected some general numbers and then went outside. The pro chuckled and said; “that’s a different swing!” I hit a slight fade with the Max LS and had Optifit set on neutral and +1*. Pro moved it to stated loft (S) and draw (D). 1* definitely lowered my ball flight but not much of a change on the flight.

I selected Riptide, 60 gram, 6.0 (stiff), -1.00”. I add 0.50” to my iron and wedge shafts. Driver length will be 44.75”. I think it’s easier to swing freely with a slightly shorter driver. Fairway finder!

Max LS is a 9* head. Epic Flash with 10.5* head and Evenflow green shaft is a reference club. Previous gamer is Ping G400 SFT. Like-new Hzrdus Smoke green with Lamkin midsize grip is headed for the Marketplace. 😀

4AF85E40-29F1-4F01-AE71-9E289EBCE3C8.jpeg

Finally got a chance to get out to the range with the Epic Max LS. Definitely a different and louder sons than the B21. I only had the chance to hit about 7 or 8 with it but really liked what I saw. I’ve got the weight in the draw setting and not sure if it’s the club or me not having picked up a club in two weeks but everything was straight and would have found the fairway. I’m hoping to get out on the course sometime this week to see how it performs.

After 2 crap rounds in a row with the XB, it has been benched and the Max LS is back in the bag.

Ventus Red and Max LS continue to perform for me. Driving is the best it's been in the past few years and this season I'm confident in saying that finding fairways and added distance are a large part of an almost 2 stroke drop in my index. Still on the hunt for a TD LS in 9 deg but I'm so happy with the current setup that I'm not even sure why I'd mess with it.

I heard a fun comment on Saturday. One of my golf buddies is a great player (near scratch) and his driver is a Mavrik. My best drives with the Ping (previous gamer) were equal to him. However, he's way more consistent and typically outdrove me on about 12 holes. Epic Max with the Riptide changed everything! FWIW, we hit about the same yardage with irons.

I outdrove him on at least half the holes and we were pretty close on the other ones. The difference was 10-15 yards on a few holes. We're walking to our balls on #17 and he causally mentions testing an Epic Max this Fall. :) He didn't get shorter over the last month but thinks I gained 20+ yards. If only I could buy an iron and putter swing to match him!!!!

The Epic Max LS has been great for me this year and after several months I can honestly say its the best driver that I have ever played. I began driving the ball better immediately after putting it into play and after a short adjustment period it has been phenomenal. Yesterdays round I was rusty from not playing much lately and I was hitting some pulls off the tee. They were playable and kept me in the round until I warmed up and by the back nine I was back to hitting bombs. I went -1 for the final 6 holes and the LS is what put me in position for success.

the Epic speed 4 wood today was a MONSTER off the tee. My goodness this FW is special

It's also great off the deck.

Yes. Yes it is. 👍
Definitely an area I am practicing.. fairways off the deck. My Epic Speed 5 wood is very good when I catch it

The Max LS driver has a gear that I can’t seem to find with any other driver setup. It has the potential to produce some bombs with the right strike. I’ll admit that I keep trying to find something that can hang or beat it….nope.
I have a Sim2 Max which I like and feel like I hit quite well, but the LS is a solid 15 longer than it for me.

The Max LS driver has a gear that I can’t seem to find with any other driver setup. It has the potential to produce some bombs with the right strike. I’ll admit that I keep trying to find something that can hang or beat it….nope.
I have a Sim2 Max which I like and feel like I hit quite well, but the LS is a solid 15 longer than it for me.
I am glad the LS is working good for you after the honeymoon. It is great for me on my normal drives which are long but the success rate when I am trying to hit a bomb is something i have not seen with any other club.

Back