Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

my 2 adapters showed up today and will get them installed on my tour ad shafts. 1 adapter is the tour flat and the other is the regular. cant wait for my customs max ls to show up

Hey, did you consider the MAX LS? My reasoning is the spin isn't sz low but the lie angle is flatter preventing that left miss for .....just a thought

No not really. Even with the Max type heads I spin those pretty low with my upwards AoA. I have tried the LS type heads in the past and I don't have the speed and spin to keep the ball airborne. Maybe if they offered a 12* or 14* Low spin head but they don't.

Also with a new setup I am not missing left as much so that is good. Fitting into more normal clubs now. Either 12* at std loft or 10.5 lofted up.

No not really. Even with the Max type heads I spin those pretty low with my upwards AoA. I have tried the LS type heads in the past and I don't have the speed and spin to keep the ball airborne. Maybe if they offered a 12* or 14* Low spin head but they don't.

Also with a new setup I am not missing left as much so that is good. Fitting into more normal clubs now. Either 12* at std loft or 10.5 lofted up.

Yeah, this much different than efsz or mav sz.....still has forgiveness built in with slightly stretched design but keeps speed and launch still

Even though I love the Mavrik TD, I'm all too glad to have the APW back in driver. Early reviews show that the weight has a substantial impact on the ball flight. Excitiing!

Don't forget the LS has a flatter lie angle than the other 2 heads
That's a great point that I definitely overlooked. I might just order the speed with the smoke black RDX. I've never has a low spin head in the past. My mavrik with the rogue white 70 was just a touch too spinny but I definitely hit it well. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

That's a great point that I definitely overlooked. I might just order the speed with the smoke black RDX. I've never has a low spin head in the past. My mavrik with the rogue white 70 was just a touch too spinny but I definitely hit it well. Decisions decisions.

i think it is important to know that Callaway is marketing the Max LS as a lower spin not a low spin head. So compared to say the Max or the Speed it is just the lowest spin of the three models. I am coming from a epic flash Subzero and I have no problem launching that ball mid to high so I am curious to hit the LS to see what happens with it.

i think it is important to know that Callaway is marketing the Max LS as a lower spin not a low spin head. So compared to say the Max or the Speed it is just the lowest spin of the three models. I am coming from a epic flash Subzero and I have no problem launching that ball mid to high so I am curious to hit the LS to see what happens with it.
For sure. I wish when I hit them I had a better swing but I was struggling and getting high spin with all 3 heads regardless of what shaft we plugged in. They didn't have any custom offerings so I was very limited with what I could try out. I have always struggled with a high ball flight. The epic flash standard with the smoke black was probably the longest driver I've ever played. I demo'd it at my local course and bought it on the spot after one round. I switched to the mavrik and gave up a little distance but my consistency was much improved. Hoping this release might be the combination of both.

Interesting side note, I borrowed an epic flash with smoke black to use for the winter in my simulator league and I haven't hit it well at all. Sold my mav to my buddy who was crushing it so I could figure out my plan for 2021.

at least for me, max was as much as 600rpm higher than max ls. i didn’t expect that.

max is gooooood

Finally something has beaten the Rogue SZ 3W out of my bag... The Epic Max 3W.

As soon as I get it into the bag, I will post some thoughts.

This was the second to last club I still gamed from my Grandaddy bag 😢... #NewTech

With the snow still on the ground I didn't get to hit the epic speed stuff today, but I did get to check it out in person, as someone who gamed the epic line, it really felt similar in overall appearance to me, but as an updated look, just seemed a bit more modern and tech filled, I really like the overall look!

at least for me, max was as much as 600rpm higher than max ls. i didn’t expect that.

max is gooooood

Did you find the flight to be neutral?

Did you find the flight to be neutral?

my flight was miles better with epic max than epic max ls. max ls wanted to go left a lot more than max. i think that's a spin issue. if i'm missing on the toe a bit with a face closed to path, i need spin to stabilize the flight. max ls spinning less means the draw will hook. the max started a little right of target and gently drew back, whereas the max ls looked more nose-divey to my eye. i will also say i'm one who HATES hitting drives in a bay, but i clicked really well with both of these pretty quickly. i'm just a max guy i guess!

Some results from my fitting yesterday with the Epic Max:

Mavrik Max:
1612445612398.png

Epic Max:
1612445662395.png

Same Shaft, Same Ball: Lower Spin and more distance at almost the same ball speed with Epic Max.

Now you hit the 10.5 v a 9* .....any particular reason? These are MY NUMBERS btw so I will follow with interest....
I started to hit up on the ball (Attack Angle) and the 9* wasn't giving me enough loft. It was actually hindering me.

Mavrik Max:
View attachment 8991773

Epic Max:
View attachment 8991774

Same Shaft, Same Ball: Lower Spin and more distance at almost the same ball speed with Epic Max.
The efficiency was quite a bit higher on the Mavrik. If you get the smash factor with the Max up to that 1.46, you are really going to see a distance gain.

The efficiency was quite a bit higher on the Mavrik. If you get the smash factor with the Max up to that 1.46, you are really going to see a distance gain.

yeah, that was interesting to me too. not sure why his efficiency was down with the epic max.

yeah, that was interesting to me too. not sure why his efficiency was down with the epic max.
The Fitter told me that they are experiencing a situation where Trackman is reading the new Epic Driver heads swing speeds faster than what they are.
My Smash Factor are closer to 1.46 on Epic Max.

Mavrik Max:
View attachment 8991773

Epic Max:
View attachment 8991774

Looks as if you could get more carry with higher loft or lower kick or a combo of both - more spin at about 2500 or a bit more will help.

my flight was miles better with epic max than epic max ls. max ls wanted to go left a lot more than max. i think that's a spin issue. if i'm missing on the toe a bit with a face closed to path, i need spin to stabilize the flight. max ls spinning less means the draw will hook. the max started a little right of target and gently drew back, whereas the max ls looked more nose-divey to my eye. i will also say i'm one who HATES hitting drives in a bay, but i clicked really well with both of these pretty quickly. i'm just a max guy i guess!

Can you play with the Epic Max weight to move it more towards the toe?

I am looking for an Epic Max v. G425 review but can't find one.

Mavrik Max:
View attachment 8991773

Epic Max:
View attachment 8991774

Did you buy? If not, I wonder what a Mav Max in 10.5 would do.

Did you hit the Mav again after you started hitting more up on it? Going from 4.0 Up on the Mav to 7.6 up on the Epic is a major difference. You're launch angle would be more comparable and I bet your overall numbers would have been as well with similar angle of attacks. Not trying to poo poo your gains but hate to see anyone spend a bunch of money if they don't need to.

Did you buy? If not, I wonder what a Mav Max in 10.5 would do.

Did you hit the Mav again after you started hitting more up on it? Going from 4.0 Up on the Mav to 7.6 up on the Epic is a major difference. You're launch angle would be more comparable and I bet your overall numbers would have been as well with similar angle of attacks. Not trying to poo poo your gains but hate to see anyone spend a bunch of money if they don't need to.
You might be correct in your assumption. I don't own the Mav Max and the one I had 9* as well.
I did buy the Epic Max head - No Shaft.

You might be correct in your assumption. I don't own the Mav Max and the one I had 9* as well.
I did buy the Epic Max head - No Shaft.

Gotcha

Where did you get fit at ?

You game the Flash right? Did you test that one? numbers ?

Looks as if you could get more carry with higher loft or lower kick or a combo of both - more spin at about 2500 or a bit more will help.
So based on the Ping Optimal Launch and Spin Chart :
7* AoA and 120 ball speed - my average numbers of 17.1 launch and 2030 spin are pretty close:
1612454655003.png

Gotcha

Where did you get fit at ?

You game the Flash right? Did you test that one? numbers ?
I got fit at Club Champion:
Here were my numbers yesterday with 9* Epic Flash -1/N setting:
1612454897439.png

Back