Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

I am curious about these. In the past, I have struggled with the Epic line of woods (GBB and Epic Flash), but these seem to have a bit more forgiveness built in with the speed frame. I will definitely be giving them a go at the local golf store :cool:

Had a chance to hit the Epic Max with stock HZRDUS Smoke Green shaft 5.5 50g. Now that I seem to be launching the ball more than I have in the past I stepped down to the 10.5 and lofted it up to +2/D.
Here were a couple of my besties:
I also hit the RAD XB 10.5 set to +1/D and my bests there were: 129-132 ball, 14.4 launch, 1900 spin, 216-220 carry and 242-244 total.
The Epic seemed a little more stable for me. The XB spin was getting on the low side for me.
DF270151-2C25-4D94-94AF-E9CB491D37FD.jpegCEF73E92-4092-4230-A417-37DEAF327E92.jpeg

Had a chance to hit the Epic Max with stock HZRDUS Smoke Green shaft 5.5 50g. Now that I seem to be launching the ball more than I have in the past I stepped down to the 10.5 and lofted it up to +2/D.
Here were a couple of my besties:
I also hit the RAD XB 10.5 set to +1/D and my bests there were: 129-132 ball, 14.4 launch, 1900 spin, 216-220 carry and 242-244 total.
The Epic seemed a little more stable for me. The XB spin was getting on the low side for me.
View attachment 8990702View attachment 8990703
130 ball speed is nice - are you sure you needed to loft up?
According to the Trackman below - Launch might be high.
1611863510013.png

130 ball speed is nice - are you sure you needed to loft up?
According to the Trackman below - Launch might be high.
View attachment 8990723

I believe I am around +2-3* up right now on AoA. My swing speed is definitely more 90mph and not 95.

I typically try and shoot for around 15-16* launch with around 2500 spin. That for me is usually very playable on the course and the mishits dont dive that hard left for me..
In looking at your chart at 90mph/132 ball ---> 16.4 /2633 is the max combo at 214 carry-239 total. So that is kinda what I strive for.

But I agree about the loft, I recently hit on my buddies GC2 with my 12* drivers and both were launching in the 15-20* range with 2900-3400 spin. and 128-132 ball speed. Nothing outrageous there for my swing speed but he had me take out my gamer shaft and we threw it into a Fusion 9.5* head lofted to 11.5 and my numbers improved 14* launch and 2000 spin and 214 carry and 248 total with 131-134 ball. So it was kind of an ah ha moment that I might be leaving some yards on the table with 12* heads.

Last edited:
Officially ordered a custom 9* max LS with a hzrdus smoke black rdx 70 6.0 shaft. Also ordered 2 adapters and will get my tour ad-HD and ad-VR ready for a showdown

Imagine what a custom Epic Max LS with blue accents would look like with a Smoke Blue PVD shaft.

Imagine what a custom Epic Max LS with blue accents would look like with a Smoke Blue PVD shaft.

my custom would be silver rails, clean crown, black-silver-silver-black medallions. not sure about shaft. i almost ordered one today, but reason got the better of me. i gotta get fit. nothing held me back last year like my driving. it was abysmal. gotta get back on track this year.

my custom would be silver rails, clean crown, black-silver-silver-black medallions. not sure about shaft. i almost ordered one today, but reason got the better of me. i gotta get fit. nothing held me back last year like my driving. it was abysmal. gotta get back on track this year.
You will.

I’m leaning similar to you Chris @McLovin ....Max LS with silver rails, blue line on crown, blue/silver, silver, blue medallions....Ventus Blue or RDX Smoke Blue.....would look very 🔥 in that combo.

Just tried the SPEED today and it is nice...I have never liked the look or feel of Cally - but this has me rethinking that thought. 2 weeks, I think, and I will have a new stick!

I'm giving these sticks a run on Sat. Got the appointment for a fitting. So we'll see if Epic will beat the RAD or the Srixon ZX for me. Probably going one of the 3.

I took a chance on the MMT 70S in my 10.5 Epic Max LS. The Tensei Pro Orange that is in my Mavrik will be waiting in case it does not work for me. I really like my standard Mavrik but it has a draw bias and I have a left miss. I tried a Mavrik Sub Zero last year and it was not a good fit for me so I was a bit nervous ordering the Max LS but from what I have seen its not as low spinning and has good forgiveness. With it being neutral and adjustable I decided to give it a shot. I cannot wait to get this custom black beauty in my hands.

Hot damn, went from 6 to midnight quick. Got an email from callaway saying my order had shipped. Click it and it is letting me know the trade label has shipped....

Oh well, would have been stunned to have it be customized and shipped so fast, but now I will be stalking the order status on the callaway website at least once a day.

So how does the Epic Max LS compare to the Epic Flash SZ? I almost pulled the trigger on that driver in 2019 but I stuck with my F9.

Had a fitting today. For whatever reason I just could not get along with the Max LS. Struggled to consistently hit center. But the Speed and Max were both really really good. The Speed with HZRDUS smoke black rdx is something really special. In the end I’m going to stick with the Max with a Ventus Black, but I hit the Speed much better than I thought. The looks and sound are really enjoyable as well.

Did end up with the Speed 4w in the smoke black rdx though. As someone who gave up on fairway woods last year, I was very surprised with this in the fitting, and they have earned another shot.

I have an Epic Max 5 wood on order.. Can't wait to try it out

I got to hit the speed and max LS today but didn't have a very good swing with me. I liked the sound of the speed better but being a higher spin hitter the LS had much better numbers. I only was able to hit the stock MMT 60 and smoke IM10 60. I spun the heck out of the smoke shaft and even the MMT was almost to 3k. I'm wondering if the MMT 70 would be a good one to order with since I've been playing in the 70 gram class for the past few seasons.

I was only getting 94mph club head speed but the ball speeds were in the 130's. I definitely noticed a fade bias to the LS which scares me because my miss is to the right. I have some further testing to do but got somewhat of a baseline to start with.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

oh lawd, dat epic max...

for, um, reasons, i went to a big box store and hit the epic max ls and epic max today. both 10.5. both with hzrdus smoke green 50 6.0. not a shaft i would have picked for myself, but didn't want to annoy the employee because i wasn't going to buy (from them :ROFLMAO:).

started with epic max ls. the weight was slightly toward the heel. first swings were ok, not awful. carry around 240, ball speed in the low 140s. but spin was low. i don't think i got anything over 2k. i did have a couple better swings that carried almost 250. but my left miss was creeping up too much.

then we switched over to the epic max. my spin bumped up to the 2k - 2,200 range. carry jumped to 250 on my ok shots, 260 on my best, ball speed approach 150mph. got a couple out to 285 with roll. and the dispersion was awesome. several balls started just a bit right of start, and drew back gently to the middle. flight just looked much more stable than the max ls.

to my eye in a very quick testing session, the two drivers looked very similar to me. i didn't find the max to be too stretched front to back. i actually liked it a lot. i also didn't think it set up closed. it's an improvement on my mavrik max in shape, sound, and stability. it is not, however, an improvement on my financial stability.

Was able to hit the Max LS in a Dicks Sporting goods and had free reign of the hitting bay for a couple of hours. Loved the sound of it on impact and so so thankful that sliding weight is back. That day I had my baby draw working. Moved the weight from neutral to weight in the toe and all of a sudden, slight fades. Really really good looking at address. Should be a fun one to hit on course.

I got to hit the speed and max LS today but didn't have a very good swing with me. I liked the sound of the speed better but being a higher spin hitter the LS had much better numbers. I only was able to hit the stock MMT 60 and smoke IM10 60. I spun the heck out of the smoke shaft and even the MMT was almost to 3k. I'm wondering if the MMT 70 would be a good one to order with since I've been playing in the 70 gram class for the past few seasons.

I was only getting 94mph club head speed but the ball speeds were in the 130's. I definitely noticed a fade bias to the LS which scares me because my miss is to the right. I have some further testing to do but got somewhat of a baseline to start with.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the LS has a flatter lie angle than the other 2 heads

I got a chance to hit the 2021 epic lineup and after using the tsi2 for past month or so , I enjoyed the shape of the LS far more than anticipated.

LS needs to be hit outside because I saw boatloads of promise inside!

I believe I am around +2-3* up right now on AoA. My swing speed is definitely more 90mph and not 95.

I typically try and shoot for around 15-16* launch with around 2500 spin. That for me is usually very playable on the course and the mishits dont dive that hard left for me..
In looking at your chart at 90mph/132 ball ---> 16.4 /2633 is the max combo at 214 carry-239 total. So that is kinda what I strive for.

But I agree about the loft, I recently hit on my buddies GC2 with my 12* drivers and both were launching in the 15-20* range with 2900-3400 spin. and 128-132 ball speed. Nothing outrageous there for my swing speed but he had me take out my gamer shaft and we threw it into a Fusion 9.5* head lofted to 11.5 and my numbers improved 14* launch and 2000 spin and 214 carry and 248 total with 131-134 ball. So it was kind of an ah ha moment that I might be leaving some yards on the table with 12* heads.

Hey, did you consider the MAX LS? My reasoning is the spin isn't sz low but the lie angle is flatter preventing that left miss for .....just a thought

I cannot wait to test this lineup. The Speed shape is calling my me but the Max has me intrigued. I could really use some added help finding fairways...

Back