Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

Imagine my horror when I saw my baby flying 175 yards down the 9th hole 😳

View attachment 9004791
View attachment 9004792

Not a Callaway built shaft. So nothing they did. Looks like the epoxy came completely free from the adapter. The inside of it is as clean as a whistle.

Bringing it in locally to be reglued. The head landed softly and amazingly is completely unaffected. So, no harm no foul. Was a strange sound at impact. The ball still got out there a long ways. Just had a weird fade flight to it. Was still able to par the hole.
Holy cow!

Where was the shaft built?

It's glue. It should be pretty simple. I don't build but I imagine it is likely an issue with the mixture? There is not one spec of epoxy left in the adapter. If it would have went 30 yards left of where it did, I would have been getting my scuba gear to retrieve it haha.
I wonder if the builder did not scuff up the inside of the adaptor? If so that is a rookie mistake.

I wonder if the builder did not scuff up the inside of the adaptor? If so that is a rookie mistake.
I don’t have the first clue about building haha. It looks pretty smooth in there. There are some rings inside of it. I assumed those would be what the glue grabs hold of in there.

1619192025622.png

It was probably bad epoxy of some sort. Generally you scuff the shaft and not the inside of the adapter. If you have the shaft and the adapter it is a pretty easy fix either DIY or take to to a clubmaker or PGATSS.

It was probably bad epoxy of some sort. Generally you scuff the shaft and not the inside of the adapter. If you have the shaft and the adapter it is a pretty easy fix either DIY or take to to a clubmaker or PGATSS.
I’ll be bringing it in. Assuming they’ll have to take the existing epoxy off the shaft.

View attachment 9004791
View attachment 9004792

Not a Callaway built shaft. So nothing they did. Looks like the epoxy came completely free from the adapter. The inside of it is as clean as a whistle.

Bringing it in locally to be reglued. The head landed softly and amazingly is completely unaffected. So, no harm no foul. Was a strange sound at impact. The ball still got out there a long ways. Just had a weird fade flight to it. Was still able to par the hole.
I'm glad that beauty is okay, but I honestly want this to happen to me once. Just so I get how often it seems to actually happen makes sense to me. I just don't understand how so many people have epoxy fairies on heads/adapters. It's not THAT complicated.

Never had one fly off but had a couple come loose, which from what I can tell was a poor install from an online vendor. Now I just order the parts separately and do them myself or take them somewhere local that I trust.

Glad the club wasn't damaged!

View attachment 9004791
View attachment 9004792

OMG. I am thankful she is ok. Thats gotta be worth one cardiologist visit.

Really an embarrassment of riches with this new Epic line. I was loving the Epic Max. Really working well with a variety of my favorite shafts. Then I send back my 9* Max LS driver to Callaway, and replace it with a 10.5* Max LS. Also send back my Smoke im10 60 6.0, which was too stiff for me, and get the Smoke im10 60 5.5 with the new Max LS head. Essentially, my ego and monitor golf were checked in the real world, and more loft and softer shaft were what was called for.

Maiden voyage with the 10.5* Max LS and im10 5.5 today, and boy is that a great head, great shaft, and great combo. Started out at S/D, and liked what I was seeing, but launch a bit low. Went to +1/D next, and my first tee shot with that was struck well, but was pulled about a mile to the right (I am a lefty). Go to +1/N for the balance of the round, and that was working very well. One push to the left, but most drives straight down the right side, or a slight fade which is my standard shot. Distance, oh so nice.

Not getting rid of my Epic Max by any stretch, but I need to give this Max LS a run. Taking it out in an opening day scramble at my course tomorrow. Should be fun. Moral of the story, don't be afraid of lofting up with the Max LS. Such a solid head, but pretty demanding in the 9* head IMHO. YMMV.

Really an embarrassment of riches with this new Epic line. I was loving the Epic Max. Really working well with a variety of my favorite shafts. Then I send back my 9* Max LS driver to Callaway, and replace it with a 10.5* Max LS. Also send back my Smoke im10 60 6.0, which was too stiff for me, and get the Smoke im10 60 5.5 with the new Max LS head. Essentially, my ego and monitor golf were checked in the real world, and more loft and softer shaft were what was called for.

Maiden voyage with the 10.5* Max LS and im10 5.5 today, and boy is that a great head, great shaft, and great combo. Started out at S/D, and liked what I was seeing, but launch a bit low. Went to +1/D next, and my first tee shot with that was struck well, but was pulled about a mile to the right (I am a lefty). Go to +1/N for the balance of the round, and that was working very well. One push to the left, but most drives straight down the right side, or a slight fade which is my standard shot. Distance, oh so nice.

Not getting rid of my Epic Max by any stretch, but I need to give this Max LS a run. Taking it out in an opening day scramble at my course tomorrow. Should be fun. Moral of the story, don't be afraid of lofting up with the Max LS. Such a solid head, but pretty demanding in the 9* head IMHO. YMMV.

Any thoughts of trying the Speed head?
Or do you need the LS?

Any thoughts of trying the Speed head?
Or do you need the LS?

Speed may be next, lol. I did love the standard Mavrik, which is along the lines of the Speed. I did demo all three heads a couple of months ago indoors when there was still snow on the ground here. We did quickly dismiss the Speed head, as I was not hitting it nearly as well as the Max or Max LS. But the proof is really in the pudding outdoors, so I might give it another shot. Very happy with the Max and Max LS though as it is. And glad I took a chance on the 10.5* head with the Max LS, as that extra loft does make a difference.

Speed may be next, lol. I did love the standard Mavrik, which is along the lines of the Speed. I did demo all three heads a couple of months ago indoors when there was still snow on the ground here. We did quickly dismiss the Speed head, as I was not hitting it nearly as well as the Max or Max LS. But the proof is really in the pudding outdoors, so I might give it another shot. Very happy with the Max and Max LS though as it is. And glad I took a chance on the 10.5* head with the Max LS, as that extra loft does make a difference.
I am loving the Max LS in 10.5* and have had a Max 9* on order for 60 days now. The LS works so good for me that the Max will have to be noticeably more forgiving to get a spot in my bag. I will eventually try the Speed for good measure.

Anyone that did the Callaway 50% trade in bonus. On their rate card if the club you are trading in says $150 does that include the bonus or would the trade be worth $225?
That is correct, it will be worth $225.

Still loving the Epic Max driver.
But man this Speed 4w is something else. I had 247 in after my drive on a par 5. Pin high just off the green. And it was just an easy swing. I don’t understand the magic, but I love it.
I feel ya on that 4wd love! I had about 240 on a par 5 against the wind and hit the Speed 4wd at the left edge of a greenside bunker on the right side of the green and ended up pin high about 15' from the flag on the green. Super stoked with that result although I wish I would have hit it a bit higher.

Anybody moved from the G400 to the LS Max?

I posted some initial thoughts based on a sim round earlier in the thread but yesterday was the first time I got to play my speed driver and 3 wood on course. I hitt some good drives that ended up in summer distances and was catching it high on the face most of the time. Still working on a few swing quirks but much better results outside that on the sim. This thing is amazingly forgiving on the heel. Also ordered a few weights to try adding a couple grams to the head.

On another note the 3 wood is a rocket launcher for me. I really liked my mavrik 3 wood with rogue white combo but this thing is even better with the smoke black RDX. 18th hole is a long par 5 with a river about 280 from the tee. I hit my 2nd from about 30 yards before the river and only had 120 yards or so left. I can say I've never been able to do that and I've played this hole a bunch.

Looking forward to some more on course results. SIM league playoffs are tomorrow night Soni have a few more indoor sessions to track some data as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

The Max LS is insanely good for me. I was keeping up all day with guys who are good, mid single digit golfers who are all more than 10 years younger than I. They definitely have more club speed, but the efficiency that I am seeing is as good as you will see. I have hit on TrackMan enough to know that I was probably playing with a smash factor of 1.48 to 1.5 with almost every driver swing today.

Man, after one round with the ventus and having to go back to the mmt, I’m ready to retire this shaft. Just cant time It as well or the face is just staying open a hair too long. But, the feel of this line is second to none.

Hopefully the ventus is ready to go next time I play. May be a few weeks though. Starting to trend in the right direction and don’t want to miss my chance to keep it going.

Man, after one round with the ventus and having to go back to the mmt, I’m ready to retire this shaft. Just cant time It as well or the face is just staying open a hair too long. But, the feel of this line is second to none.

Hopefully the ventus is ready to go next time I play. May be a few weeks though. Starting to trend in the right direction and don’t want to miss my chance to keep it going.
A few weeks until you play, it until it's fixed?!

I too did not get on well with the MMT when I tested it. Just couldn't quite figure it out well enough to have it actually compete for a spot.

I played the Atmos Blue Tour Spec in the Rogue. Got the Mavrik Max with the Rogue White 130 msi and after going between the two ended up going with the Rogue in the Mavrik Max. Got the Epic Max LS with the stock mmt. After trying all 3 I like the mmt and have been playing it, just feels and performs the best of the three. I keep hearing really good things about the Ventus Blue not only here but from a friend of mine. Going to have to try one.

A few weeks until you play, it until it's fixed?!

I too did not get on well with the MMT when I tested it. Just couldn't quite figure it out well enough to have it actually compete for a spot.
Until I play. Daughter is in theater and has 5 shows next week.

Speed was good today, 10/14 fairways. Had some nice long drives, misses where all playable and not far off the fairway.

I am five rounds in with the Epic Max LS and it has been really good on the course. My irons have been a bit thin lately so I decided to work through it on the driving range this morning. I hit about 15 balls in a row with the LS and they were all good strikes that would have been fairway or close drives on the course. The range balls are new at this course and I could see my pattern on the face. I was about half an inch toe side and the ball was not going left at all. I then set up 1/2 inch toward the heel at address and BAM I was striking it dead nuts center. The LS sounds very good in the center and holy smokes it is a bomber. It was a nice feeling to put the headcover back on it and finish the bucket working on irons knowing that driver is good to go.

Back