Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

giving woods another chance in the bag. Epic Speed 15*, PX RDX black ordered.

One thing I can say, the Epic Max is a Fairway Finder. Here is my 2021 Driver ranking by USA players and Worldwide by my HDCP according to Shotscope. Take out the 1 rounders and I would be higher
8173B572-3AB8-466B-9AF4-5CBCE152C459.jpegDBD3B135-4697-4F15-916F-EF4B212C4B4E.jpegDoes this work @JohnnyCallaway ?

Was finally able to get out to the range to hit driver. Block practice if you will.

The back net of the range is about 45 yards wide. I had one shot end up left of the 45 yards, one shot right of the 45 yards. Everything else was pretty consistently a little draw, or a slight push to the right. Which is nice because that is exactly what I was seeing in my club fitting.

Out on the course, I need to focus on setup, getting the ball far enough forward, and alignment. I play pretty square, maybe a touch closed with the feet, and taking a nice swing with good tempo. If I can do that, bombs are definitely there.

Some of the range rocks I had were so worn down, I saw the ball change directions mid-air. It was awesome haha!

Had a good range session today working on getting my launch angle up. I turned the Max LS up +1N from 10.5 and by the end of practice I was hitting a launch angle average of 14.3
Club speed, 95 Ball speed 143.4 Carry 146.7 yards smash factor 1.49. Apex height of 88.3 and the spin on average was 2,755 all off of range balls.

Now if I go back to the standard 10.5N will this help reduce spin? Or will it stay about the same.

Had a good range session today working on getting my launch angle up. I turned the Max LS up +1N from 10.5 and by the end of practice I was hitting a launch angle average of 14.3
Club speed, 95 Ball speed 143.4 Carry 146.7 yards smash factor 1.49. Apex height of 88.3 and the spin on average was 2,755 all off of range balls.

Now if I go back to the standard 10.5N will this help reduce spin? Or will it stay about the same.
All things equal between swings, yes the spin should be slightly reduced. But range balls have a lot more variability in them compared to real balls. So I would look to get your numbers off of real balls as well to make the proper adjustments

I am generally playing my Max LS at +1 as well. Yes, I know I would likely get lower spin at standard loft, but forgiveness suffers, and I’d rather be in a better position on the course than potentially 10 yards further. YMMV.

I've really started to find something with the Epic Speed driver after my last lesson. More distance and a better flight.

I averaged 283 yards with the Max LS for today’s round. It really wants to go straight. I hit a couple a little high, toe-side and the ball still went straight, rather than turn left. I have now hit this with a Graphite Design Tour AD TP shaft and an Hzrdus Blue. If a gun were to my head, I probably would choose the Graphite Design. I like the feel a bit better.

Yesterday's range session really paid off today. Playing in our Memorial Seniors tournament. I hit 6/7 fairways and had what I would call my first 300+ yard Drive. On a totally flat fairway Playing into a crosswind. I've had few other 300 yd drives but they were on downhill and with a following wind. The wind started at about 17 mph and as the round went on. It kept increasing up over 25.

The last drive was directly into the wind and I thought I had hit as good as my long drive. But I hit it a little to high and it looked like the wind was knocking it down. However it ended up being a 265 yard drive which is better than I have been doing lately.

The launch was quite high compared to what I am use to. So the Ventus Red is doing its job. Swing felt real fluid again today.

I averaged 283 yards with the Max LS for today’s round. It really wants to go straight. I hit a couple a little high, toe-side and the ball still went straight, rather than turn left. I have now hit this with a Graphite Design Tour AD TP shaft and an Hzrdus Blue. If a gun were to my head, I probably would choose the Graphite Design. I like the feel a bit better.
The AD TP is one of my favorite shafts of all time. Super smooth without being soft.

Hzrdus Blue is one I'm hoping to put against my Ventus Blue at some point!

5/7 fairways today with the Speed. Long drive of 287 (wind aided) Plenty of forgiveness with this driver using the stock weight. Feel is really good with the Ventus Blue.

The Max LS is giving the B21 and a few other heads a real run for the money. Im surprised with how much lateral forgiveness I am seeing, while at the same time launching it with ease.

Another great day with the Speed, 10/12 that I used driver on. The 2 misses one I just came over the top and put it in the adjacent fairway ( wonder if we can count that as a hit fairways :unsure::LOL:) The other i just pulled left.
For me it is all about keeping my tempo steady and not trying to swing hard, when I do that I am getting a nice small draw with it and getting really good distance .

And another great weekend with the Max LS. This really is a fantastic driver. And the Smoke im10 60 5.5 is a perfect match with it for me. Hit a ton of fairways, and if not, with any sort of decent swing, I was very much in play. No big catastrophes left or right. Kind of stunning how forgiving the Max LS is in light of its LS profile.

Started putting the carry bag together for tomorrow before I went to the gym. Supposed to play 7400 and it is pissing rain. Gonna play long. Didn't totally realize it until right now, but I swapped to the Speed without really consciously thinking about it. Apparently when I'm sighing, preparing for the pain, and thinking I'm going to need every inch I can get, I think Speed.

That's kinda cool.

Another great day with the Speed, 10/12 that I used driver on. The 2 misses one I just came over the top and put it in the adjacent fairway ( wonder if we can count that as a hit fairways :unsure::LOL:) The other i just pulled left.
For me it is all about keeping my tempo steady and not trying to swing hard, when I do that I am getting a nice small draw with it and getting really good distance .

That's what I did today, pushed one drive to the right and into the other fairway which has a down-slope. I must have gotten an additional 90 yards of roll and ended with a drive of 335 yards.:oops: Had to use the 54° wedge to get it over the trees but was just short of the green. Hitting the Max LS pretty good right now. Getting real good launch and carry.
My playing partner made an interesting observation on my swing. He said he noticed when I hover the club 3/4 to 1 inch above the ground. I seem to pure more shots and if I lower the club or ground it before the swing. I tend to overdraw the ball. So after he told me that I tried to be more cognizent of that and I had some real long drives with a slight draw.

That's what I did today, pushed one drive to the right and into the other fairway which has a down-slope. I must have gotten an additional 90 yards of roll and ended with a drive of 335 yards.:oops: Had to use the 54° wedge to get it over the trees but was just short of the green. Hitting the Max LS pretty good right now. Getting real good launch and carry.
My playing partner made an interesting observation on my swing. He said he noticed when I hover the club 3/4 to 1 inch above the ground. I seem to pure more shots and if I lower the club or ground it before the swing. I tend to overdraw the ball. So after he told me that I tried to be more cognizent of that and I had some real long drives with a slight draw.

I hover as well. I tend to have better contact that way. I tee the ball so about half is above the club face when the club is grounded.

On Saturday I had several drives between 250-265 yards with the Epic Speed which is up from what I've been seeing lately. My misses tend to be in the 225-240 yard range and I'm keeping the ball in play.

My farking hip did not want to play golf earlier today, much less at 7400 soggy yards, so I really didn't have it off the tee today. Honestly would have brought a different shaft if I'd known how it was gonna go. The Speed definitively helped me out though, and I caught the magic toe-side money spot on mine once for a big one, and hit 13 fairways. That's a pretty good bad day for a club. (y)

I really enjoyed the Speed driver last round out...I put the original blue proto Helium I got from Danny at UST Mamiya 5 years ago in it and something seemed to click.

I was contemplating selling and getting a Max but it was too fun, gotta give it a few more rounds. Hit a couple bombs with my preferred baby draw and would probably play more golf if i could dial that up at least 50% of the time. :LOL: One went 270+ into hurting wind and one was around 280 or so with helping wind. Hit a couple other far for me but they were pushes unfortunately.

Looking forward to another round with the Speed + Helium proto 5f4!

Ok ok I’m late to the party…but hey…at least I made it!!

On a whim tried the Epic Max LS today. Put it up against the SpeedZone Extreme with Tour AD XC. And HELLOOOOO Epic Max LS!!!! I thought the SZE was forgiving but this just takes it to another LEVEL. This is the first time hitting the new line as i passed on the Mavrik. Settled on the stock MMT 60x which was surprisingly good. Went with the 10.5deg head dialed back to -1. Also cut it down 1/2” and threw in the heavier weight for the slider. This thing is a BEAST. Compared to my current gamer I saw ball speed retention on avg of 6-7mph on mishits To a max of 10mph on the worst strikes. On those worst strikes dispersion was extremely good and the distance was still there. On flush hits…Well let’s just say I’ll be going for local long drive comps….kidding…but The ball just wants to gooo!!! I’ll get a cally tip on the Tour AD XC and May try it down the road but this setup is pretty dang good! Most surprised I’ve been in Hitting a new Driver in quite some time!!

6E260208-7C21-4D4B-9C10-9FDE05E600B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I am too lazy to try to go back through the thread. Who has hit any of the Epic Speed Triple Diamond heads? I am particularly interested to hear comments of the Speed Triple Diamond LS compared to the Max LS.

Last edited:
Back