Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

keep working it at it!! It’ll come back to you!!Lol
That’s the hopes. I think I’m going to take a couple weeks off and hopefully reset. I know it will eventually come back. Just super frustrating right now. I could be shooting in the 70s easy if I could get off the tee. All that aside the Max LS is a hell of a driver. Just ready to get back to making sweet sweet love to it off the tee lol.

@Tenputt how different is the shape of the triple d bs the max ls? I have seen pics of the triple d heads and briefly owned the max LS but something about the shape didn’t suit my eye
Here are some photos comparing the Speed Triple Diamond LL and the Max LS. The Speed Triple Diamond LS is on the left and the bottom. The Callaway literature indicates that the Speed LS does not have the Cyclone-shaped head. To me the Speed LS looks like a deeper faced slightly smaller Max LS. I really want to get a side by side comparison with the standard Speed.

2F605481-C222-40AC-AB4C-EA1F22D5EF1E.jpeg03256BC1-2EDD-4EE4-BCB6-25D46C2C7932.jpeg

Here are some photos comparing the Speed Triple Diamond LL and the Max LS. The Speed Triple Diamond LS is on the left and the bottom. The Callaway literature indicates that the Speed LS does not have the Cyclone-shaped head. To me the Speed LS looks like a deeper faced slightly smaller Max LS. I really want to get a side by side comparison with the standard Speed.

View attachment 9007174View attachment 9007175
I'm looking at the Speed and Max LS heads in the same positions and I agree with you that the 3D looks more like a deep faced Max LS. More different than I expected them to look in those pictures those. Crazy.

I am more intrigued than I was a minute ago..

Got the Speed Triple Diamond LS out for a round today. It was a tournament, but it was raining, windy and cold. The fairways were wet. It was not a good test. Whereas when I hit it on the range Saturday and was hitting all draws or straight balls, today, I hit mostly fades. I think that I just never was loose enough to put some good swings in with it. I will provide more feedback when I can have a better opportunity to hit it on the course or when I can get it on the launch monitor.

Very initial impressions are that it is very close in spin to the Max LS. It launches a tad higher than Max LS. It looks and sounds better to me than the Max LS. I am looking forward to more time with it.

I'm seeing a lot of good feedback in these comments on all of our heads but there is one thing if I could offer it up that is key in this whole thing and that is swing weight. Make sure the swing weights on any of these builds are DIALED. I've seen hopes dashed on a good stick because the swing weight was incorrect. Remember every golfer is sensitive to weight and balance. Even one swing weight the wrong way can turn a good club for you into a bad one. And shift whether it be a reshaft, regrip, etc. If the driver was working before make sure that the changes work into that same swing weight. I've made this mistake sooooooo many times.

Consider this a public service announcement:)

JDub

Im at the Byron if yall have any questions

I'm seeing a lot of good feedback in these comments on all of our heads but there is one thing if I could offer it up that is key in this whole thing and that is swing weight. Make sure the swing weights on any of these builds are DIALED. I've seen hopes dashed on a good stick because the swing weight was incorrect. Remember every golfer is sensitive to weight and balance. Even one swing weight the wrong way can turn a good club for you into a bad one. And shift whether it be a reshaft, regrip, etc. If the driver was working before make sure that the changes work into that same swing weight. I've made this mistake sooooooo many times.

JDub

Swingweight, yes!

You are lucky to be in cold, grey Dallas today. Quite a change from the weekend.

JDub

i've done a fair bit of fittings in my day (including one at ecpc), and never has a fitter tested different swing weights on me. i have no idea what my ideal swingweight is.

Set up the Speed similarly to how I had the Max LS yesterday and it was good. Litte over 6g more in the head, D3, and 318y right off the bat without getting loose. Changed the sound a little, but not in a bad way. Had a little more trouble than normal moving it right, same as LS, so that balance of tape definitely adds a little draw bias. Some real towering flights though. Oddly, felt like spin was up a bit too. Delivering a little different loft I think. Was fun though. Going to keep fooling around with them for a stretch.

Set up the Speed similarly to how I had the Max LS yesterday and it was good. Litte over 6g more in the head, D3, and 318y right off the bat without getting loose. Changed the sound a little, but not in a bad way. Had a little more trouble than normal moving it right, same as LS, so that balance of tape definitely adds a little draw bias. Some real towering flights though. Oddly, felt like spin was up a bit too. Delivering a little different loft I think. Was fun though. Going to keep fooling around with them for a stretch.

On the Speed, Billy Bobs and Golfworks have the more heavily weighted screws if you want more weight and added MOI. I also found that tape affected the sound.

I am dying up here in Ontario, have a new Max LS with new shaft I spent all winter scouring for a good deal, got on the course twice with it then....bang! Lockdown! Been 3 weeks now since struck a ball and latest might be June 2nd with rumours might extend into the summer. This is killing me! Edit - sorry, had to rant 😢. So happy everyone is enjoying their new sticks.

On the Speed, Billy Bobs and Golfworks have the more heavily weighted screws if you want more weight and added MOI. I also found that tape affected the sound.
I have a ton of weights. And I tend to hate lead tape. Just use it initially sometimes to get it dialed in and then swap to weights. I don't like adding weight just at the back of the head though. Tends to make me turn over more. So if this tinkering finds a setup I like, I'll hot melt it, and that'll effect sound anyway.

I have a ton of weights. And I tend to hate lead tape. Just use it initially sometimes to get it dialed in and then swap to weights. I don't like adding weight just at the back of the head though. Tends to make me turn over more. So if this tinkering finds a setup I like, I'll hot melt it, and that'll effect sound anyway.

I understand. My instructor is the TPT Fitter and Course Instructor. This has been posted previously, but it's interesting as to swing weight

do you feel like the different weights change the acoustics/feel of the driver? i remember tinkering a lot with my f8 after the morgan cup a few years ago trying to get it to work and i bought a ton of weights. i'd play a few holes then change out weights. it was crazy how much the feel/sound changed with different weights.

do you feel like the different weights change the acoustics/feel of the driver? i remember tinkering a lot with my f8 after the morgan cup a few years ago trying to get it to work and i bought a ton of weights. i'd play a few holes then change out weights. it was crazy how much the feel/sound changed with different weights.
Oh yeah, definitely changes it. More in the back/front could almost totally flip the sound in my sub zero from muted to sharp. Sounded more like an Epic Flash with my setup.

Last edited:

View attachment 9007174View attachment 9007175
Thanks for the pics, definitely like that the profile is smaller than the max ls. When you get the regular speed triple D would you please post pics beside your triple D LS

Thanks for the pics, definitely like that the profile is smaller than the max ls. When you get the regular speed triple D would you please post pics beside your triple D LS
What? Now you want me to buy a regular Speed Triple D? 😂.

What? Now you want me to buy a regular Speed Triple D? 😂.
I just figured based on recent history there would be a good chance one will get at least a few rounds in your bag! Haha, I know a guy who would probably take the loser off your hands

I just read that the radspeed was your gamer this year in another thread.

So many drivers, such little time. “Take” off my hands sounds so ominous.

Is anyone using the Max? All I see mentioned is the Max LS. I have the Speed and nothing has been able to dethrone it.

and i freaking love it! i hope to get a few swings on trackman with it next week to see what it's doing for me. i don't feel like it has the long ball in it like some of the other drivers i've gamed, but it's so forgiving, so straight, and moving the sliding weight to the toe has absolutely transformed my tee game.

last year i had the mav max. i loved it in my fitting, but unfortunately never saw success with it on the course. quite the opposite, actually. things seemed to only ever get worse and worse and worse. i worked on my swing a lot last year, but just didn't find the consistency off the tee i desperately needed.

so this year a new driver was in order. i had my eye on the ping g425 max because i loved the 400 max, but then callaway released the epic max and i knew i had to try it. i tested both side by side, and while the 425 max was ok, the epic max beat it pretty easily. with the weight halfway between neutral and full toe, i have protection against the low spin toe snapper.

i've had a couple rounds this year with 80% fairways hit. that's all kinds of nuts. i'm a really big fan.

The thread about what stat indicates a good score to you has had me thinking. So after unexpenctedly kind of dismantling a 74.8/137 today I was trying to figure out the how's and why's driving home. I missed some makeable putts. I missed a few greens. A couple approaches could have been better.

and I shredded it with driver.

Played the taped up Speed. Technically rolled through 2 fairways, but didn't actually miss any targets, and averaged 308y on a soft breezy day. There were definitely a couple that benefitted from the wind, but I was hitting right into plenty too, and one with the wind I made maybe a 3/4 swing because the line had to be perfect or it'd be in trouble. And we (speed and I) nailed it. It's mostly a draw course, but I had to cut a couple to hold, and a couple landings are just real tight, and by the back side I had zero hesitation about any of it.

Honestly, in this configuration,

20210511_150509.jpg

it might have a slight edge on my TSi3. I can move it up and down a little easier I think. Really, really workable. I like it, and my wedges are consistently good, so this is what made the score today. No doubt in my mind.

Last edited:
The thread about what stat indicates a good score to you has had me thinking. So after unexpenctedly kind of dismantling a 74.8/137 today I was trying to figure out the how's and why's driving home. I missed some makeable putts. I missed a few greens. A couple approaches could have been better.

and I shredded it with driver.

Played the taped up Speed. Technically rolled through 2 fairways, but didn't actually miss any targets, and averaged 308y on a soft breezy day. There were definitely a couple that benefitted from the wind, but I was hitting right into plenty too, and one with the wind I made maybe a 3/4 swing because the line had to be perfect or it'd be in trouble. And we (speed and I) nailed it. It's mostly a draw course, but I had to cut a couple to hold, and a couple landings are just real tight, and by the back side I had zero hesitation about any of it.

Honestly, in this configuration,

View attachment 9007423

it might have a slight edge on my TSi3. I can move it up and down a little easier I think. Really, really workable. I like it, and my wedges are consistently good, so this is what made the score today. No doubt in my mind.
What is that abomination on the bottom of that driver? !!!! :eek: ( I know what it is, but I don't wanna know what it is. )

Back