Callaway Epic Speed and Epic Max Drivers and Fairway Woods

What is that abomination on the bottom of that driver? !!!! :eek: ( I know what it is, but I don't wanna know what it is. )
Haha Don't smack your forehead too hard. It's TEMPORARY. lol

So we are on 80 can anyone confirm this new head is "that" much better than the mav?!

The Epic Speed is more consistently straight for me than Mavrik - similar feel. But if you are happy with Mavrik Speed, I'd stay with it. I like to skip a generation or two between drivers.

This year's Max seems measurably better than last year - so if you want Max or Max LS - these are different.

Last edited:
So we are on 80 can anyone confirm this new head is "that" much better than the mav?!
I don’t know how anybody would confirm something like that. To me, the Max LS is one of the best retail driver heads that Callaway has ever brought to market. However, that is my subjective opinion and relates to how it performs for my swing.

i don't know what being "on 80" means?

i played mav max last year. for some reason i just never did anything good with it on the golf course. i've done some very good things with epic max this year, much of which i attribute to the sliding weight. i have no verifiable data to support this, but i feel my mav max probably had a little more giddy up, but this epic max is amazingly consistent.

i've done a fair bit of fittings in my day (including one at ecpc), and never has a fitter tested different swing weights on me. i have no idea what my ideal swingweight is.
same here and i feel like i need to figure it out one of these days

My older son has the Max in 10.5 dialed down to 9.5 in a Riptide 70 X-Stiff at 45 inches and loves it. And he is not fit for that shaft - I was guessing because he is in Utah and in the USAF. Happy Birthday to him.
Callaway Epic 10.5 sole.jpg

My older son has the Max in 10.5 dialed down to 9.5 in a Riptide 70 X-Stiff at 45 inches and loves it. And he is not fit for that shaft - I was guessing because he is in Utah and in the USAF. Happy Birthday to him.
View attachment 9007450

that looks familiar! i think i put together a custom like that before i ultimately ordered mine. looks amazing!

Epic speed was solid tonight. 6/7 fairways. Just nice and consistent

View attachment 9007450
Utah? He must be at Hill Air Force Base. Hubbard Memorial is a great course to try that Max 10.5.

Speed continues to help me out on poor strikes. The issue is the poor strikes are happening way too often. Once coaching soccer is over for the summer, I’m going to get on the range and get my swing, and this club, dialed in. Because when it’s on, it’s the best performing driver I’ve hit. I just can’t find the consistency with it yet

Utah? He must be at Hill Air Force Base. Hubbard Memorial is a great course to try that Max 10.5.

Thx. He is based out of Hill. He has mentioned the course but not lately. We usually play a good Muni not too far from Hill when I visit and then play in one of the ski areas that has a course. He plays all over the area.

Has anyone notice the Green Flake in the paint on the crown?
On Max Driver, in the Sun, it really stands out.

Has anyone notice the Green Flake in the paint on the crown?
On Max Driver, in the Sun, it really stands out.
I noticed that my first sunny round out with it and i love that subtle touch

i don't know what being "on 80" means?

i played mav max last year. for some reason i just never did anything good with it on the golf course. i've done some very good things with epic max this year, much of which i attribute to the sliding weight. i have no verifiable data to support this, but i feel my mav max probably had a little more giddy up, but this epic max is amazingly consistent.
80 pages here....it was meant as tongue in cheek...thought I could do that here...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I don’t know how anybody would confirm something like that. To me, the Max LS is one of the best retail driver heads that Callaway has ever brought to market. However, that is my subjective opinion and relates to how it performs for my swing.
I appreciate your answer but again I was simply asking for opinion...I was fit into mavrik and love it.

80 pages here....it was meant as tongue in cheek...thought I could do that here...

ahh, gotcha. sorry i missed what you meant lol

I appreciate your answer but again I was simply asking for opinion...I was fit into mavrik and love it.

I understand and wasn’t trying to be confrontational. My own opinion is that each new year’s releases generally bring only incremental improvements that may not be measurable to most. Sometimes, a release is revolutionary. In my opinion, the B21 was close to being revolutionary for its intended user and has been much discussed in its own thread. Depending on what your needs are in a head, I think the Max LS is definitely a step forward from the Mavrik line. The sliding weight is a feature that puts it above Mavrik for me. Also, I think it fills a very needed slot in that it is very forgiving across the face, but keeps the spin down, although not as low as the prior Sub Zero. It is trite to say, but I don’t think you could know unless you tried them. However, since you love your Mavrik, it must fit your swing well and I would be surprised if you would see a material change in your numbers, but that is all speculation.

Last edited:
This 4W is a rocket launcher when I put a good swing on it. Need to work on the swing part.

I am by no means a long hitter. But on average I've been driving the ball 235 to 2 45. And I am seeing that same average with the Max LS. However, I am seeing an increasing yardage distance in the last 2 weeks.
In the past 10 years I've gotten a few drives in the upper 280's. Usually with a down slope helping with the total distance. And an additional cart path helping as well.
The past 2 weeks I have had several drives in the 280's and 4 drives over 300. Of the 4, three have come on a flat fairway. Which brings me to my practice session yesterday. I've been trying to improve my launch and have been making progress in that regard. So on average my swing speed had been around the 94 to 96 mph range for most of my drives.
Then I hit this towering drive that went
past the fence at the range which is 275.:oops:
I looked at the speed radar and saw this.IMG_20190322_132014700.jpg
The rest of practice SS was back in the 94 mph range and the balls were falling short of the 250 yard sign. Just seems improbable that I could swing that fast if I wouldn't have seen that ball go over the fence.
So if I hit the MaxLS center face and do get an occasional 100+ mph swing. Might be why I'm seeing such good results on occasion.

I am by no means a long hitter. But on average I've been driving the ball 235 to 2 45. And I am seeing that same average with the Max LS. However, I am seeing an increasing yardage distance in the last 2 weeks.
In the past 10 years I've gotten a few drives in the upper 280's. Usually with a down slope helping with the total distance. And an additional cart path helping as well.
The past 2 weeks I have had several drives in the 280's and 4 drives over 300. Of the 4, three have come on a flat fairway. Which brings me to my practice session yesterday. I've been trying to improve my launch and have been making progress in that regard. So on average my swing speed had been around the 94 to 96 mph range for most of my drives.
Then I hit this towering drive that went
past the fence at the range which is 275.:oops:
I looked at the speed radar and saw this.View attachment 9007519
The rest of practice SS was back in the 94 mph range and the balls were falling short of the 250 yard sign. Just seems improbable that I could swing that fast if I wouldn't have seen that ball go over the fence.
So if I hit the MaxLS center face and do get an occasional 100+ mph swing. Might be why I'm seeing such good results on occasion.

Swing Speed Radar typically generates a higher swing speed than reality - it catches the toe, which is moving faster (what I've been told). You are probably still over 100 but not by too much.

As an aside, I was practicing with speed sticks and it stated 103:) - and if it was really 98, I'd be a happy guy ... happier if it was 103 but I need to stay in reality.;)

Last edited:
My wife plays but unlike most of us here always says she doesnt want new clubs. So i end up getting them anyway and she ends up hitting them well. She got a driver and 5 wood 2 years ago. She liked the 5 wood so much got her a 7. She had an older 3 wood she never hit well and did not want a 3 wood. For Mothers Day i got her an Epic Max 3 Wood. She used it yesterday and she said she really liked it. Talked with someone she played with who said she hit it great. I have the Mavrik Max 3 and 5 wood and absolutely love them to the point i havent tried anything new or even thought about it. Curious if anyone here moved from the Mavrik Max 3 or 5 to the Epic Max 3 or 5 and how that worked out. The Mavrik Max Fairway woods are just so good.

Back