I have gone back to this one from the UW and think I found the perfect gapping for it. It is just so long and so perfect for too many shots on my home course to keep it out of the bag.

You went with the 18˚ right? Did you stick with the steelfiber?

I'm trying to get to an actual range since we're having a bit of a warm streak, but we'll see how that goes with work. I really want to see how this stacks up to the UW off the tee. I feel like the UW might be a touch easier off the deck, but in the 16/17˚ range, it's mostly a secondary tee shot option for me. They're both pretty wicked distance wise.

I'm trying to get to an actual range since we're having a bit of a warm streak, but we'll see how that goes with work. I really want to see how this stacks up to the UW off the tee. I feel like the UW might be a touch easier off the deck, but in the 16/17˚ range, it's mostly a secondary tee shot option for me. They're both pretty wicked distance wise.
Yes. That is my exact setup. I dropped a flex in the SteelFiber based on my fitting only because of how I swing that particular club which is not real aggressive.

I have gone back to this one from the UW and think I found the perfect gapping for it. It is just so long and so perfect for too many shots on my home course to keep it out of the bag.
What yardage range are you using this for? I have the 18* also and it's been so flexible for me that I feel comfortable hitting it anywhere from 225-245. I haven't had a club I could do that with confidently before.

Sometimes I think about one of these at 16° behind driver in the fairway spot and then the 21° UW in the hybrid spot. It seems kind of weird to go hybrid then fairway instead of the other way around but it could work.

Sometimes I think about one of these at 16° behind driver in the fairway spot and then the 21° UW in the hybrid spot. It seems kind of weird to go hybrid then fairway instead of the other way around but it could work.

I was actually thinking about this kind of a setup this week. I really want to try a UW but there's no way I'm replacing the Super Hybrid. I'm just not sure how well those would work together flipped like that.

I was actually thinking about this kind of a setup this week. I really want to try a UW but there's no way I'm replacing the Super Hybrid. I'm just not sure how well those would work together flipped like that.

In the spot above the 4 iron I am looking for something for long approach shots. Something with a high ball flight and some spin to be able to hold a green. So I’m thinking UW.

In the spot behind driver I’m looking for something that can be a second option off the tee as well as hit as far as possible when I’m a long way out. The lower spin nature of the super hybrid would fit that better.

Reactions: KEV
What yardage range are you using this for? I have the 18* also and it's been so flexible for me that I feel comfortable hitting it anywhere from 225-245. I haven't had a club I could do that with confidently before.
For me it’s 215 to 225

Played a tough 9 hole yesterday twice, where I used this thing a TON. I think it's a good club. I can see it launch higher than my 17 degree Cobra F9 Speedback 5W, but I also feel like it's a little more spinny than my 5W. When I come over the top, I've noticed this will slice harder than my 5 wood. All in all I think it's a great club. I top this one about as much as I did my 5 wood unfortunately.

I will say when I get ahold of this I'm getting about 10-15 yards more. I got one out there 225 yesterday which is far for a guy that only average 225 with his normal driver. I'm going to continue to put some reps in with this thing, but it's not quite my secret weapon yet.

Saw your post and thought I'd share ... I just ordered a left handed 18 degree Callaway Epic Super Hybrid in regular flex, but the shaft I ordered is the new hybrid shaft that's in the Epic Max Star line (UST MAMIYA ATTAS SPEED SERIES T1100 50 IR/HYB GRAPHITE). I currently have in my bag the Epic Flash Star (d, 3w, 5w, 3-6h) and Epic Forged Star (7-sw) from two years ago, and I'm hoping this shaft will be a good match with the other clubs in my bag AND allow me to pick/choose my set-up depending on the course I'm playing.

Mike
MPM1960

Having the 16˚ ESH and the 17˚ UW, I'd say that these have been pretty interchangeable for me. They're the same length and the ESH is actually a half degree lower lie. The hybrids do get a bit more upright as you ascend the lofts, but you're talking a fraction of a degree. Same with the length. It's all pretty close.

In the spot above the 4 iron I am looking for something for long approach shots. Something with a high ball flight and some spin to be able to hold a green. So I’m thinking UW.

In the spot behind driver I’m looking for something that can be a second option off the tee as well as hit as far as possible when I’m a long way out. The lower spin nature of the super hybrid would fit that better.

This is basically how I'm trying to get my setup as well. Coming from 3 & 4 hybrids, trying to see if the UW options can get me a little diversity from further out. Time will tell. The Super hybrid for me is absolutely a pure distance club. So far it's still winning, gut the 17˚ UW is no slouch either.

Saw your post and thought I'd share ... I just ordered a left handed 18 degree Callaway Epic Super Hybrid in regular flex, but the shaft I ordered is the new hybrid shaft that's in the Epic Max Star line (UST MAMIYA ATTAS SPEED SERIES T1100 50 IR/HYB GRAPHITE). I currently have in my bag the Epic Flash Star (d, 3w, 5w, 3-6h) and Epic Forged Star (7-sw) from two years ago, and I'm hoping this shaft will be a good match with the other clubs in my bag AND allow me to pick/choose my set-up depending on the course I'm playing.

Mike
MPM1960

Can't wait to hear how it works out for you! I actually went with the Catalyst myself as I'm just not comfortable with steel fiber anything. If the Super Hybrid wins out, I'll probably take a look at some other options but the Catalyst has been working out great so far.

Just dropped this in the bag for Thursday's round. Looking forward to it.

This club is staying put. What a treat to hit.

Anyone have an address comparison pic of the original next to the Epic? Currently have a 23* Original and looking to get a Epic 6 superhybrid.

Anyone have an address comparison pic of the original next to the Epic? Currently have a 23* Original and looking to get a Epic 6 superhybrid.
All I have is super hybrid vs mavrik pro in an earlier post

Makes no difference, at all, as long as the gapping works. I LOVE my 16°. Not a fan of 3-woods.

swung one of these for the first time yesterday. picked up the 2h demo.

put a bad move on the first swing but then put two out there past 250 with a piercing draw. :oops:

slowly put the club back and repeated that i didn't need a $400 hybrid that I would use once a round. :LOL::unsure:

swung one of these for the first time yesterday. picked up the 2h demo.

put a bad move on the first swing but then put two out there past 250 with a piercing draw. :oops:

slowly put the club back and repeated that i didn't need a $400 hybrid that I would use once a round. :LOL::unsure:
Trust me friend, you find reasons to use it more than that. I used this off the tee a lot because I was so good with it. Yes, price is steep but they'll be hitting CPO at some point in the near future I would think...

Got some sim time in with my ESH 2H vs. the 17˚ UW. Was only hitting off the mats, but based on what I'm seeing the ESH will probably be in the bag this season. It just fits my needs for a second tee option better as I'm really looking fo all out distance in that spot, which this club definitely delivers. The ball speeds I was seeing with this were significantly higher. The better strikes were encroaching on some of my middling driver ball speeds for the session. Directionally both were about the same, I just found the ESH easier to hit and get the distances I'm looking for in that spot. Need to get back on green grass but I may even drop it down to 15˚ as it will mainly be a tee club for me. Set at 16˚ though, I had no issues hitting it off the mats.

I may mess with shafts here a bit as my swing comes into form for the season, but man this thing is a bomber.

Got some sim time in with my ESH 2H vs. the 17˚ UW. Was only hitting off the mats, but based on what I'm seeing the ESH will probably be in the bag this season. It just fits my needs for a second tee option better as I'm really looking fo all out distance in that spot, which this club definitely delivers. The ball speeds I was seeing with this were significantly higher. The better strikes were encroaching on some of my middling driver ball speeds for the session. Directionally both were about the same, I just found the ESH easier to hit and get the distances I'm looking for in that spot. Need to get back on green grass but I may even drop it down to 15˚ as it will mainly be a tee club for me. Set at 16˚ though, I had no issues hitting it off the mats.

I may mess with shafts here a bit as my swing comes into form for the season, but man this thing is a bomber.
this is good feedback to see. The Super Hybrid is such a beast off the tee but I’ve been very happy with how versatile it was for me last season. I felt like I could use this club anywhere from 225 to 245 yards. That’s a gap I have struggled to fill the last couple of years so it has been huge for me to have that.

Seeing your comment about trying different shafts makes me realize that I never experimented with putting a Fairway wood shaft in this last year. I need to do that at some point to see how it would be off the tee for me on tight courses where I need accuracy that I probably wouldn’t get with my driver.

this is good feedback to see. The Super Hybrid is such a beast off the tee but I’ve been very happy with how versatile it was for me last season. I felt like I could use this club anywhere from 225 to 245 yards. That’s a gap I have struggled to fill the last couple of years so it has been huge for me to have that.

Seeing your comment about trying different shafts makes me realize that I never experimented with putting a Fairway wood shaft in this last year. I need to do that at some point to see how it would be off the tee for me on tight courses where I need accuracy that I probably wouldn’t get with my driver.
I think that was what most surprised me. It's not surprising that I was reasonably comfortable with it off the tee, but I had no qualms whatsoever pulling it out from fairway or the rough as well. Just so easy to hit.

Yeah, I have the same shaft in it now that I have in my Mav hybrids that let me move the ball pretty well without having to swing too hard. I've found this combo to launch really well. Off the tee, this club puts me in driver distance ranges when I nail one off the tee. The success I've seen in the sim off the deck though makes me hopeful that it'll get some shots on longer par 5s this year. In all honesty I should probably just leave it as is... But I like to tinker.

I was only able to hit this a couple of times in my round yesterday but I was quickly reminded what a weapon this thing is. One shot in particular impressed me where it was my second shot from the fairway in to a par 5 straight in to a 20mph wind. I figured there was no way it would go more then 200 yards in that wind but it was a piercing ball that went probably 220 dead straight. I continue to be in love with this silly thing.

I know the UW gets a lot of love on the forum but the ESH is the club that fits me the best. I love this club. I changed the Steelfiber f4 to the f3 and it has helped me with ball flight and control.

I know the UW gets a lot of love on the forum but the ESH is the club that fits me the best. I love this club. I changed the Steelfiber f4 to the f3 and it has helped me with ball flight and control.
I've been so tempted to go hit the UW after seeing so much positive feedback about it but I just can't imagine it would help me any more than what this does. I'm sure I will at some point but right now I just don't feel the rush to try it because of how good this has been.

Back