Callaway Great Big Bertha Divine Nine Fairway Wood - THP Review Thread

After getting drilled and beaten down by a contractor who had no idea what he was talking about for 45 minutes, and feeling as if I'd been dragged through the mud and 5 inches of rain in DFW, instead of a shot of bourbon, I ordered the 9 in KK Sliver TINI 67g Stiff at 41 inches. Traded in a couple of items for it. Will report when received, which will probably take about 10 days. The shot of bourbon would have been cheaper, but not as much fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up Dean.

As someone who has dumped the 5i in favor of a hybrid or FW, this one is intriguing. This is the biggest question mark for my bag come December and it’s going to come down to how easily I hit this versus a hybrid. I wish it was adjustable, but I'm eager to see how well this could fit that gap in my bag.

Thanks again for the review. Packed with great information.

Nice write up Dean. The divine 9 has my curiosity. I'm one of those guys with 3 hybrids in the bag and no fairways, but I'd be curious to hit this and see how it compares.

Great review, Dean. It gave me insight on the features of the club I'm interested in and made me want to go hit it. Maybe it will replace a hybo in my bag, as the HW has with great results.

After getting drilled and beaten down by a contractor who had no idea what he was talking about for 45 minutes, and feeling as if I'd been dragged through the mud and 5 inches of rain in DFW, instead of a shot of bourbon, I ordered the 9 in KK Sliver TINI 67g Stiff at 41 inches. Traded in a couple of items for it. Will report when received, which will probably take about 10 days. The shot of bourbon would have been cheaper, but not as much fun.

quoting this because you also left a good comment in the article. I wouldn't mind trying it in a heavier weight myself. Not crazy heavy, but something heavier and stiffer to see if I could lower the flight a touch. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on yours when it arrives.

Great review there Dean! Really makes it easy for people to understand where or how this club could fit in their bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh. Dammit Dean, now I have this wrench in my #TheGrandaddy decisions again. This with the same 70+ Rogue i/o in it as in my 3w and HW.....man.....who needs hybrids?

Not you with a divine 9?

Looking at this as a possible 5i replacement.
Might have to go try this one out.

Ugh. Dammit Dean, now I have this wrench in my #TheGrandaddy decisions again. This with the same 70+ Rogue i/o in it as in my 3w and HW.....man.....who needs hybrids?
Exactlty

Like the idea of the club, hate the length of the shaft. 41" is almost 3" longer than the 5i it would be replacing. No thanks.

Like the idea of the club, hate the length of the shaft. 41" is almost 3" longer than the 5i it would be replacing. No thanks.

I'm with ya. I play my 5h at 38.25" which is -1" from specs. I couldn't imagine trying to hit a green with the same accuracy with a 41.5" club.
Same issues I had with the Heavenwood. On a perfect strike the launch was a thing of beauty, but what wasn't was a topped ball or flat out shank trying to wield a 43" shaft.

I like the idea of more loft and I think more players, especially slower swingers could use, it but not at the expense of a shaft length that is too long for most.

without over thinking the length of the club, I saw much more consistent shots with this than I do with a 4 or 5 iron. For me, just much easier to hit. Now I still would probably opt for a hybrid, but this is a solid option.

Nice review, it is an interesting option. I carried a XHot 9 wood for a while and it was a go to club from light rough or when a high soft shot was needed.

quoting this because you also left a good comment in the article. I wouldn't mind trying it in a heavier weight myself. Not crazy heavy, but something heavier and stiffer to see if I could lower the flight a touch. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on yours when it arrives.

No problem - you can quote me for any reason. I thought about 75g in the Divine9 but my XR hybrids in Recoil are about 67g, so I did not want to go heavier in the fairway. I went heavier as the last 9 wood I owned was the XHot and the stock shaft was a noodle. The KK Black is better but in a 9 wd we need less spin and a slightly higher kickpoint.

I put the 86 gr Pro Force in both my GBB 5W and HW, makes nice feeling and medium high launch club

This is an intriguing club and would be one I would consider over a hybrid for my 4i replacement

I see your point.

Some of you can hit a 4-5i iron (38-38.5 inches) at 190-200 with accuracy and consistency.

I can hit a 27 degree 5i with some (some) consistency but not 180-200.

Now I can hit a 22-28 Hybrid with greater consistency and height onto a green. I just want it on the green.

An XR 22 Hybrid is spec'd at 39.75 in. and I was playing mine at 40 inches in a Fubuki Shaft.

The Divine 9 I ordered is 41 inches -- not a big difference, and the fairway is a nice size. I hope it's my 195 club.

Just got word this morning - the Divine9 arrives tomorrow afternoon.

Will try to get range time in and report before the weather turns sour.

Just got word this morning - the Divine9 arrives tomorrow afternoon.

Will try to get range time in and report before the weather turns sour.
Nice. Really looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Nice. Really looking forward to your thoughts on it.

(Typical Disclaimer: Had not hit a club in two weeks - rain and travel. I'm typically better on the second day at the range)

I like the looks of the Divine9, sits square to me. It's an easier, more forgiving club than the V Series 7 wood that I was hitting side by side. Similar trajectory to the 7 wood with the KK Silver 60 on many shots. Others were higher - it will take another range session, going out on the course before sunset and throw out balls on a fairway from 200 out and see what happens. If the weather holds, will try that tomorrow.

It's a fun club. Solid, pleasant sound, easy does it, as you don't have to swing out of your shoes to get it going.

I also hit the 25 and 28 XR Hybrids, with the 28 being my favorite 165-173 club. I need to get on a course, and see whether after a 19 deg 5 wood, I can go Divine 9, then 28 Hy, then 6-PW, etc. and drop the 22 and 25 HY, or depending on the course add one of them and drop the Divine9. Need to drop some balls at Bridlewood at dusk. It is a fun club to hit.

So much rain in last 2 days in N. Tx. haven't gotten outside. Will report back when the range and course dries up.

Back