Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Might shove the Speeder 665 in for Thursday's round, just for fun.

Im convinced this may be my favorite sounding driver in about 5 years.

If you are ordering, you will want to state your desired swing weight. From a question I asked of Callaway, they do not plan to sell the weights on the GBB for adjustment.

Maybe if some here urge them otherwise, you can get Callaway to move. I can see different weights working when one has a 55g shaft, and tries a 65g shaft.

Would love to go through a real fitting for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds much better. Addictive.

Oh Lord...

From the first post:
Head Speed From Our Light, Stable, Multi-Material Chassis
This is the best combination we’ve ever had of an aerodynamic head shape and multi-material lightweight club design. It’s the key to generating higher clubhead speed through aerodynamics and a wide range of weight classes available to suit every swing type, from 295 to 325g.

Doesn't say, but sounds like they combined the composite materials to help mute the sound & some of the XR materials to lighten the head weight.

I'll take one in 9* with the Project X LZ red please! Wonder if I'll be able to get my hands on one before the 28th...

Between this and the Mini 1.5 on the way, the low end of my bag is set for a few months

So, I hit a LOT of golf balls yesterday with this one stock, with three other shafts, in a few different weight settings, and vs the 815. Sadly part of my data didn't save, but I'm going to remedy that here this morning and get into the more finite this evening. With that said, there are some things I think need addressed based on some of the thoughts I'm seeing out and about...

1) This is NOT a "spinny" head. I think many are assuming it will spin too much for them bc the DBD is built to be so low spin. As a player who can get steep quick and spin the hell out of a driver because of such, I was in the 2000's all day in spin yesterday, and pretty significantly lower than what I got with my gamer the 815. Don't assume things internet people, don't skip it, go hit it when then time comes.

2) The sound is astoundingly good. JB mentioned it, and its true. I liked the 815 sound, not as much as Big Bertha, but a lot. I had a massive fear of this sounding like the XR and that was wiped away from the first swing. You get a strong and solid impact sound that is one which really aids in the sensation that the ball is being hit hard. But, you still have plenty of variation on impacts across the face, I know my heel miss the second I make impact thanks to the sound change, as well as the tactile feedback.

3) I'll have more finite info later after another range session as I mentioned, but I will say this, with the same shaft/loft/FA setup as the 815, every single trackable data point has been better with the GBB. The closest is launch, with minimal change there, but lower spin, tighter dispersion, higher clubhead speeds, and higher ball-speeds. I know, hard to believe, but its been the truth.

4) Played the matte head in the rain yesterday, and the water marks on the crown didn't effect me. :alien:

5) Toe/Heel retention is really really good, surprisingly so are strikes high on the face. But not only are the drop-offs in a really good range, the spin jump is lower than I anticipated or expected.

So, as I said, more soon.

Good stuff Jman. Pretty hard to not get excited about this one with everything we're hearing.

Arrrrrrgh! Noooooooo! For the first time in FIFTEEN years, my little, tiny, golf store is actually doing a fitting day! Tomorrow! With the new GBB! But... I'm out-of-town all week!!!! Noooooooooo! Crud!!! What luck! Oh well... My being out-of-town probably just saved me some serious coin!

Loved the matte head on this one, but I wasn't really impressed with the couple I hit on the range in Savannah compared to my 815. Very limited sample, though and I'm still head over heels in love with the 815. I hope to spend some more time with it on the range at #TheGauntlet.

Loved the matte head on this one, but I wasn't really impressed with the couple I hit on the range in Savannah compared to my 815. Very limited sample, though and I'm still head over heels in love with the 815. I hope to spend some more time with it on the range at #TheGauntlet.

As you know, I adore the 815. Its the first driver in years I gamed pretty much exclusively for a season, I was adamant it would stay that way entering this testing.

Numbers and consistency don't lie though.

As you know, I adore the 815. Its the first driver in years I gamed pretty much exclusively for a season, I was adamant it would stay that way entering this testing.

Numbers and consistency don't lie though.

If ATL wouldn't have hogged the FlightScope in Savannah, I would've seen some numbers :alien: (sort of kidding)

I know with time (and the proper shaft), I'll really enjoy this head. It's silly that they keep producing such solid offerings.

So, I hit a LOT of golf balls yesterday with this one stock, with three other shafts, in a few different weight settings, and vs the 815. Sadly part of my data didn't save, but I'm going to remedy that here this morning and get into the more finite this evening. With that said, there are some things I think need addressed based on some of the thoughts I'm seeing out and about...

1) This is NOT a "spinny" head. I think many are assuming it will spin too much for them bc the DBD is built to be so low spin. As a player who can get steep quick and spin the hell out of a driver because of such, I was in the 2000's all day in spin yesterday, and pretty significantly lower than what I got with my gamer the 815. Don't assume things internet people, don't skip it, go hit it when then time comes.

2) The sound is astoundingly good. JB mentioned it, and its true. I liked the 815 sound, not as much as Big Bertha, but a lot. I had a massive fear of this sounding like the XR and that was wiped away from the first swing. You get a strong and solid impact sound that is one which really aids in the sensation that the ball is being hit hard. But, you still have plenty of variation on impacts across the face, I know my heel miss the second I make impact thanks to the sound change, as well as the tactile feedback.

3) I'll have more finite info later after another range session as I mentioned, but I will say this, with the same shaft/loft/FA setup as the 815, every single trackable data point has been better with the GBB. The closest is launch, with minimal change there, but lower spin, tighter dispersion, higher clubhead speeds, and higher ball-speeds. I know, hard to believe, but its been the truth.

4) Played the matte head in the rain yesterday, and the water marks on the crown didn't effect me. :alien:

5) Toe/Heel retention is really really good, surprisingly so are strikes high on the face. But not only are the drop-offs in a really good range, the spin jump is lower than I anticipated or expected.

So, as I said, more soon.
Great stuff James!

I really need to hit this, but the only demo day close is next Tuesday and I'm playing in a tournament and can't make it. Everything James is saying has me really excited to bag this driver, especially after Callaway fitters get it setup perfectly for me.

Look at what I found. Callaway has a Launch and Spin Chart in their 2015 Custom Shafts PDF. I don't recall seeing that before. That should help some narrow down the 19 different shaft options.

1476728783cc8965defa89a1f10868bf.jpg

Look at what I found. Callaway has a Launch and Spin Chart in their 2015 Custom Shafts PDF. I don't recall seeing that before. That should help some narrow down the 19 different shaft options.

1476728783cc8965defa89a1f10868bf.jpg
I think it's old. Hopefully Callaway updates it with the new available shafts.

So after 2 weeks, this is safely in my bag. The FlightScope says I am hitting it better. To give you the info in a nutshell, I am hitting it 1.7 yards further, 21% closer to the center and ball speed is 29.6% higher on shots when my smash factor is not 1.47 and above. So that is telling me it is more forgiving. I also am producing about 400 rpms less spin, the same apex of 32 yards and I think because of that, with some proper tinkering I can squeeze out a few more yards of carry distance quite easily.

So after 2 weeks, this is safely in my bag. The FlightScope says I am hitting it better. To give you the info in a nutshell, I am hitting it 1.7 yards further, 21% closer to the center and ball speed is 29.6% higher on shots when my smash factor is not 1.47 and above. So that is telling me it is more forgiving. I also am producing about 400 rpms less spin, the same apex of 32 yards and I think because of that, with some proper tinkering I can squeeze out a few more yards of carry distance quite easily.

nice. Looking forward to getting some swings in with it. The Ball speed is increase is much more impressive if people look at something like that instead of just pure distance gain.

This just seems crazy to me. The 815 is such a solid head. I need this in the bag ASAP.

This just seems crazy to me. The 815 is such a solid head. I need this in the bag ASAP.
Contrary to what some seem to think, I'm not a hype it up guy, but it's honestly that good.

I've got numbers and data I'll get up tonight and it cracks me up because it's eerily similar to what JB is seeing.

Contrary to what some seem to think, I'm not a hype it up guy, but it's honestly that good.

I've got numbers and data I'll get up tonight and it cracks me up because it's eerily similar to what JB is seeing.

Wow...that's impressive. And it sounds good!

Good Christ is this driver long!

After about 50 balls, the sounds is solid, the feel is money. I had the speeder 665 in it. 275 carry to take it yard out of the range. I was flying it 10-15' up in the trees.

Back