Really wanting to try the Z grind but no one has it in near me. Wasn't one on my trip last weekend.

For those testing, how would you compare these to the MD5’s?

Just recently picked up an MD5 in 56/8 C grind and pondering replacing my MacDaddy CB’s (52/12 and 60/12) with either the MD5’s or the new Raw wedges.

Thanks!
So I have a 52 12 with W grind and I replaced it with the Raw 50 10 S grind. I did this because of gaping issues I was having. I did like my 52 but LOVE the 50 so far. I do need to add some caveats. I don't know a ton outside of the basics of grind and bounce. I also think I may have been getting too cute and not taking full good swings or swinging too hard with the 52 because of the gaping issues. That being said I feel like I get more spin from the raw wedge. I also feel like I make better contact with it but again that could be the worker not the tool.

Have you come across any situations where whether for specific wedge or skill you thought something else might work better?

So, I believe in some instances in sand the X grind would be helpful. There has been a time or 2 where I've laid the 58* Z open in the sand and in hindsight might not have been the best choice. That extra bounce may have helped. Overall though for the conditions I play in and my skill level and swing path, this Z grind has been beyond helpful for me.

Bladed a 60° over the green and ended up with a double in what was otherwise a good round. Wasn’t thrilled with that.

On an unrelated note I should probably make my way over to the short game practice area some time this season.

For those testing, how would you compare these to the MD5’s?

Just recently picked up an MD5 in 56/8 C grind and pondering replacing my MacDaddy CB’s (52/12 and 60/12) with either the MD5’s or the new Raw wedges.

Thanks!

Edit to add: would like to go with the MD5’s in Tour Grey to match my 56 but looks like they are not available via Callaway site.

@Surfinguru I had a 60* 10S MD5 which I really enjoyed.

When I compare the 60S MD5 in Tour Grey to the JAWS Raw 58 Z Chrome there are several MAJOR improvements.

1. Forgiveness across the face. The JR, punishes you a lot less for miss hits, especially near the toe. As @OldandStiff has said, it just performs well across the face.

2. The leading edge. My goodness I can't say how well this skid plate functionality is. It's been a life saver for me. Normally if the leading edge is more flat, like you see in the picture (MD5 L, JR R), it would have a tendency to dig or catch. What Callaway did with chamfering the leading edge has been a major improvement. I say, you get player precision with the forgiveness of a game improvement wedge all while keeping the player shape.

20220721_061009.jpg

3. The shape of the JR is just so inviting and gives the player confidence standing over the ball. The shape will speak to ball strikers and hackers alike. I'm a huge fan of the toe shape of this one.

4. Ball flight. The flight of this is lower than the MD5 AND has more spin. This has helped me tremendously on getting more precise with my wedge play. However, it did take some getting used too. I had to think differently about how I wanted to land the ball. This is all due to the tungsten weighting in the ports and variable length hotels to help with CG.

5. This thing is a SPIN machine. I'm regularly getting balls to check up and spin backwards, where I wasn't getting that with my MD5 at times. It's just really cool to watch and man it's had a positive impact on my game. It also makes me look like I can play better than I actually do too. I can say even in wet conditions, I still get the ball to check up and spin back. Just unreal.

6. Muted toe pad. I bought the MD5 in Tour Grey because I didn't want a shiny wedge. I was a bit leary about the Chrome on the JR, but so glad I did. The toe pad is a muted chrome with very little reflection.
20220721_060816.jpg20220721_105159.jpg20220721_105210.jpg

7. This Z grind has almost become a utility wedge for me. I can do full shots, sand shots, pitches and chips. I can lay it open a little ,or take some loft off and it just works for me. I'm very partial to this Z grind.

Very simply, this isn't a refresh on a design. It's completely different. I liked the MD5, but I ❤ the JR. It's worth every penny and more. Im enjoying these wedges so much that I'm going to buy a 54W and probably a 60*Z bent to 62*.

I'd buy the JR all day everyday over the MD5 even at the price increase. Just so much better.

Last edited:
@JB have you had a chance to play much with the 62* yet, I know you were waiting until after the Goat Cup. I'm going to lean on you a bit to see if I should do this as I think I'll have an open spot in the bag for it.

@JB have you had a chance to play much with the 62* yet, I know you were waiting until after the Goat Cup. I'm going to lean on you a bit to see if I should do this as I think I'll have an open spot in the bag for it.
Yes, used it at Ballyhack, but the conditions were quite wet, so I am holding off on giving full thoughts on it.
But I can say it’s staying in the bag.

Yes, used it at Ballyhack, but the conditions were quite wet, so I am holding off on giving full thoughts on it.
But I can say it’s staying in the bag.

Thanks!

Played another 18 today. I still need work around the green with the club, but I'm getting pretty good with a full swing 80-75 yards in using the 54W. Stuck one close today that hit pin high to about 6'. Led to my only birdie of the day (after three bad holes). Got me out of the funk I was in and played +2 over the next five holes.

Another round tomorrow so more thoughts coming.

Anybody have an questions about the 58* Z grind?
Am looking hard at that exact club. The 62°Z (60 bent) is phenomenal and making my other wedges nervous. Have stuck quite a few tight with this baby.

Still adjusting to touch distances with the 62°. Going to start using it where I would normally pull my old 64 and see how it performs.

Am looking hard at that exact club. The 62°Z (60 bent) is phenomenal and making my other wedges nervous. Have stuck quite a few tight with this baby.

Still adjusting to touch distances with the 62°. Going to start using it where I would normally pull my old 64 and see how it performs.

You will not be disappointed. I did have to make a small adjustment to the ball flight with the 58* Z grind. But, overall my performance is WAY better. I was worried about such a low bounce, but the skid plate is like a cheat code. Just buy one, you won't regret it.

Reactions: J4U
You will not be disappointed. I did have to make a small adjustment to the ball flight with the 58* Z grind. But, overall my performance is WAY better. I was worried about such a low bounce, but the skid plate is like a cheat code. Just buy one, you won't regret it.
Oh I get it! Haha, the 60Z is staying in my bag.

Having a great time with the the 58z around the green. The ability to stop the ball with these grooves is unreal in terms of the spin. I’m able to get much more check from this years release than the last. I’m still getting used to the launch and stopping power on these but look forward to the future with this. The 54w is outstanding option out of the sand as the amount of bounce and the grind makes it ideal for a bunch of conditions.

@Surfinguru I had a 60* 10S MD5 which I really enjoyed.

When I compare the 60S MD5 in Tour Grey to the JAWS Raw 58 Z Chrome there are several MAJOR improvements.

1. Forgiveness across the face. The JR, punishes you a lot less for miss hits, especially near the toe. As @OldandStiff has said, it just performs well across the face.

Did I actually say that, or just show me toe the crap out of one and still stick it?? :LOL:

Did I actually say that, or just show me toe the crap out of one and still stick it?? :LOL:

You did both. But obviously you're hitting out there way less than I am. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Would the community like some up close pictures of the Z Grind's actual sole and how it sits in various conditions on tight lies next to a golf ball? I can take some snap shots from the front and side to show how the sole sits at various address positions.

Would the community like some up close pictures of the Z Grind's actual sole and how it sits in various conditions on tight lies next to a golf ball? I can take some snap shots from the front and side to show how the sole sits at various address positions.
Yes I’ve been looking for a Z grind.

Having a great time with the the 58z around the green. The ability to stop the ball with these grooves is unreal in terms of the spin. I’m able to get much more check from this years release than the last. I’m still getting used to the launch and stopping power on these but look forward to the future with this. The 54w is outstanding option out of the sand as the amount of bounce and the grind makes it ideal for a bunch of conditions.

Are you seeing the ball flight lower and the ball stopping faster? That's what I'm experiencing at least.

I like these types of statements because I'm hard pondering a 50 to play with my set. My Apex MB is showing its age.

more of a comment on the grind but the W is just point and shoot. Never had issues with digging due to the grind, never topped a shot either. Full swings are easy to control as well. I was surprised that I was able to easily work the ball both ways with a wedge.

more of a comment on the grind but the W is just point and shoot. Never had issues with digging due to the grind, never topped a shot either. Full swings are easy to control as well. I was surprised that I was able to easily work the ball both ways with a wedge.
That's awesome. W doesn't really suit me, but I'm thinking a 50S at 51 to go with my 54 (@55) might be a little more weapon than a well worn blade. The fact that it's kind of a lone shape and look over the ball in my bag isn't really my favorite either.

I’m sorry this pic isn’t in focus however you can see where I was hitting out of the rough with the 54° S grind.

3228F554-B660-4ADA-B109-906A9B3C8BAF.jpeg
I was opening up the face and hitting “Poppers” over a false front. The S grind just glided through the grass. Really impressed.

Just ordered the 54' s grind and a 60'z grind. looking forward to hitting these things.

How soft is the feel,currently using cobra snakebites but the face feels so hard compared to other wedges..

Got to impress a couple strangers with a display of Raw awesomeness today. I let one of them use my X grind the last 4 or 5 holes and he had called a store to have them set one aside for him before 18. The whole thing made it really fun and my Jaws took a serious bite out of the card. It was oozing red. :sneaky:

His decision on what to play.

Back