Callaway Mack Daddy CB Wedges

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.5
Nice write up @JB. Nothing will replace the 58° PM Grind for me at the bottom of my bag, but I'd really like to try it against my 54° MD5 and see how they compare. I previously played Cleveland 588 RTX CBs, and I didn't like the feel of those anywhere near as much as I do the MD5, so it would be interesting to give these a shot. And if the 54° has the full-face grooves, even better yet.

I think it's a smart move by Callaway, it's a competitive spot in the market where they didn't previously have a presence.

Last edited:

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Nice interview with Roger Cleveland regarding these on Callaway Talks.

The interview has me even more interested in trying these wedges out.

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Guy at CPO Tells me that Friday Pre-Orders can be taken.

Annhl8rX

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well that’s interesting. I’ve been eyeing a CBX, but now I’ll have to consider this one as well.

tequila4kapp

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.9
Like others have said, it is a smart move to enter this market segment. If I didn't have a set wedge at 50* I'd be looking to buy one at that spot, as I like the extra full shot forgiveness in my non-58* wedge (I prefer to use the 58* for all shots around the green). I may still look at one for the 54* spot.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.5

Great video, always fun to hear RFC discussing wedge tech. And the 54° does have the full-face grooves! Curiosity intensifies......

jvbart

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I struggled early on chipping with my cavity back wedges that were part of my first set (Callaway X-14 pro series) but these may make me re-consider using a cavity backed wedge. I had an issue with them being too chunky feeling but these look as slick as a blade. Awesome to see Callaway getting into this market. I really like the idea of that new grip for chipping as well.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.5
I struggled early on chipping with my cavity back wedges that were part of my first set (Callaway X-14 pro series) but these may make me re-consider using a cavity backed wedge. I had an issue with them being too chunky feeling but these look as slick as a blade. Awesome to see Callaway getting into this market. I really like the idea of that new grip for chipping as well.
My problem with the 588 RTX CBs was that I had no feel with them. Plenty of forgiveness, but they just felt numb when hitting the ball, especially on greenside shots. I'd love to see if Callaway has fixed that and if these have anywhere near the feel of the MD5 and/or PM Grind, which I love the feel of.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
it was inevitable that someone else would compete in this space. seems like a no-brainer. they look pretty good, love the full face grooves and the longer grip is smart.

J.B. Cobb III

I’m a Ben Hogan guy!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looks wise it doesn’t move the needle for me. Glad to see more options available in this market. Just seems like Cleveland has a stronghold here.

Kenomikes

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
7.5 GHIN

Listened to interview, no way I'd replace my 48* CF19 AW with this but I'm definitely gonna give the 52* spot a shot.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in