Callaway & Marketing the game for all

Callaway & Marketing the game for all

• Yep, its absolutely essential to the game!

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Nope, it wont help the game grow.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're targeting the wrong audience, it wont help the company.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I couldn't care less.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It might not change the success of the sport, but what they're doing wont hurt!

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
Looks like callaway is again pushing the industry to appeal the game to the masses, attempting to grow the game in a time when it's of course seen it's struggles. The avenues they're pursuing to do so however are seeming to branch out more than the typical stereotype "golfer" and perhaps captivate the minds and abilities of everyone out there.

I find it very interesting, the hip hop segment its the most intriguing to me. It's not one that's really synonymous with golf, but i love that callaway is going about it in a "why not?" fashion. It's a game for all and i hope that they keep pushing to grow the game as such, pushing the envelope with their marketing and passion to get more people involved, especially the youth.

So i ask you THP'ers, do you like what they're doing? do you hate it? Why or why not?

Link to Article: http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/hip-hop-golf-callaway-swinging-millennials/305447/

I wish more companies and/or tours/golf organizations would do more to grow the game, regardless of whether you thought the USGA was right or wrong, they haven't done a whole lot as of late to grow the game, if now the opposite, so I hope others take note of the fun/innovative stuff Callaway has done and is doing.

I would much rather a company produce a great product (or set of products) designed for all and target marketing of the same equipment to different demographics (what I view Callaway is doing) than have a company produce a product specifically designed aesthetically for a target demographic which leaves others not giving that product a look at all (which I feel is what Cobra did in the past few years - less so this year). Targeting younger or racially diverse demographics is important for the overall growth of the game, and while a marketing campaign can't do that alone, it certainly doesn't hurt, and is a relatively inexpensive way to try something different.

Yes I 100% love what Callaway has been doing.

Really admire what Callaways marketing team have been doing this past year to not only grow the brand but the sport also, the links at petco park say hello. Hope they continue full force.

Really admire what Callaways marketing team have been doing this past year to not only grow the brand but the sport also, the links at petco park say hello. Hope they continue full force.

They really seem to be the one company that is trying new things and thinking outside the box with their marketing and getting their name out there over the other big boys of golf. I admire that, we're all used to the standard advertising and what not but we're also a different breed of golf folk. What they're doing i'm hoping will bring the ones teetering on the edge of taking the sport up. More people need to experience what this game can do to you both for sport, and for life.

Content is great and reaches the masses. But unless golf equipment becomes more affordable only those with disposable income will be able to afford to play.

It's great that the wealthy Scarface (who? I can hear many asking) lives golf and plays 300 times a year. I know big boy (rapper) plays as well but these guys have money. The kids listening to their songs, do not. And until we reach into the inner city schools and give these kids lessons plus gear, that segment will not grow.

The red bull park I think will reach more people and grow the game from that side. Callaway does a lot of great things and I hope it works but I have my doubts about the hip hop side of this.

At the end of the day, Callaway is a business that needs customers. I like the idea that they are trying to encompass everyone or every group of people to play the game. It's good for them as a business and good for golf in general.

Content is great and reaches the masses. But unless golf equipment becomes more affordable only those with disposable income will be able to afford to play.

It's great that the wealthy Scarface (who? I can hear many asking) lives golf and plays 300 times a year. I know big boy (rapper) plays as well but these guys have money. The kids listening to their songs, do not. And until we reach into the inner city schools and give these kids lessons plus gear, that segment will not grow.

The red bull park I think will reach more people and grow the game from that side. Callaway does a lot of great things and I hope it works but I have my doubts about the hip hop side of this.

gotta start somewhere though right? i think this will at least pique the interest of the youth and outlying interested golfers. The equipment and green fees are still expensive yes, however, with the interest now set, perhaps they start to explore ways to get out and play the game instead of just shrugging it off as they can't afford, so they don't play. I feel that equipment prices are going to start coming down soon (i hope), but there's always a way to get into the game without dropping a mortgage payment to play. But I like that they're trying to lay the groundwork first and establish an interest base across the entire spectrum. Get everyone into it and then when the hype is there, find a way to satisfy that demand.

gotta start somewhere though right? i think this will at least pique the interest of the youth and outlying interested golfers. The equipment and green fees are still expensive yes, however, with the interest now set, perhaps they start to explore ways to get out and play the game instead of just shrugging it off as they can't afford, so they don't play. I feel that equipment prices are going to start coming down soon (i hope), but there's always a way to get into the game without dropping a mortgage payment to play. But I like that they're trying to lay the groundwork first and establish an interest base across the entire spectrum. Get everyone into it and then when the hype is there, find a way to satisfy that demand.

What ways do you think an inner city kid has to play golf? Are there courses near them, club rentals, shoes, a coach to teach them? I mean, I wonder how many people outside of the inner city even know who the ghetto boys are let alone Scarface. I would rather see programs setup to teach these kids the game. Give them used clubs, give them the tools to pursue the game not content.

I disagree with this a bit.
Look at all of the equipment out there that gets talked about/reviewed on THP.
Then look at anything that is considered bargain and how its immediately passed over.
Price dictates quality.

Disposable income is important, but there are segments where it seems to be spent on odd things (Hip Hop). See sneakers, cars, etc.
The minute a company starts pricing things at the bargain is the minute they are gone in my opinion.
Pre-owned and previous year will always give people the chance at sales.

We live in a world where high prices mean quality.

I say all this as my take on it, not any companies.

What ways do you think an inner city kid has to play golf? Are there courses near them, club rentals, shoes, a coach to teach them? I mean, I wonder how many people outside of the inner city even know who the ghetto boys are let alone Scarface. I would rather see programs setup to teach these kids the game. Give them used clubs, give them the tools to pursue the game not content.

but to me that's just it. I would hope it's all part of a trickle down effect. The more exposure that golf gets, no matter who does it, eventually will trickle down to everyone, including the inner city kids. INTEREST in the game is what i think callaway is going for, not necessarily just pushing clubs. yes they're an equipment company and they want to make money, but deep down you've got to at least try and believe they're also looking out for the game at heart. The more interest there is in the game, the more people will start to try and create programs, donate, or take the initiative to get those programs you talk about in place. Theres a high chance that it doesn't succeed based on the reputation that golf already has, but good on em for sticking with trying something different to grow not necessarily only the equipment, but the game in general.

I disagree with this a bit.
Look at all of the equipment out there that gets talked about/reviewed on THP.
Then look at anything that is considered bargain and how its immediately passed over.
Price dictates quality.

Disposable income is important, but there are segments where it seems to be spent on odd things (Hip Hop). See sneakers, cars, etc.
The minute a company starts pricing things at the bargain is the minute they are gone in my opinion.
Pre-owned and previous year will always give people the chance at sales.

We live in a world where high prices mean quality.

I say all this as my take on it, not any companies.

Sneakers appeal to urban kids, rims are a status symbol, platinum teeth, saggy jeans. This is what their peers are sporting. The demand for high end golf clubs is not there and I don't think Scarface is going to change that.

Callaway wants to grow the game then have lower price option would be s great start. The high end can still be there. This goes for any of the companies. Inner city kids don't know there is used golf equipment or even where to buy it. Hell I would guess most don't know what a golfsmith is or an Edwin watts. I just don't see any merit in the Scarface spot. Red bull I can see some merit

Sneakers appeal to urban kids, rims are a status symbol, platinum teeth, saggy jeans. This is what their peers are sporting. The demand for high end golf clubs is not there and I don't think Scarface is going to change that.

Callaway wants to grow the game then have lower price option would be s great start. The high end can still be there. This goes for any of the companies. Inner city kids don't know there is used golf equipment or even where to buy it. Hell I would guess most don't know what a golfsmith is or an Edwin watts. I just don't see any merit in the Scarface spot. Red bull I can see some merit

I think its more than that though. Look who is listening to hip hop. It might originate there, but its also the tiny white kid in suburbia.
To me brands that are successful are the ones that dont have to jockey with everybody else for the same clients, but can create their own clients as well.

but to me that's just it. I would hope it's all part of a trickle down effect. The more exposure that golf gets, no matter who does it, eventually will trickle down to everyone, including the inner city kids. INTEREST in the game is what i think callaway is going for, not necessarily just pushing clubs. yes they're an equipment company and they want to make money, but deep down you've got to at least try and believe they're also looking out for the game at heart. The more interest there is in the game, the more people will start to try and create programs, donate, or take the initiative to get those programs you talk about in place. Theres a high chance that it doesn't succeed based on the reputation that golf already has, but good on em for sticking with trying something different to grow not necessarily only the equipment, but the game in general.

Who said anything about pushing clubs. If you're going to grow interest then those interested parties need clubs. They have to buy them, have a way to buy them, a place to play and learn. As I said in my very first post, content is good I just don't think reaching out to the 'hip hop' community is going to grow the game.

The byproduct of growing interest in the game is the selling of clubs. Whether that be Callaway or another OEM, people that want to play have to be able to afford to play.

i still think you're getting the wrong message from what (at least what i get out of it anyways) their advertising is doing. Yeah they want to push expensive clubs out the door, that makes them money. But for me, i'm trying to look past that. I'm seeing it as they want everyone to see that anyone can play the game, even a rapper who is someone that most people wouldn't realize they'd ever see on a golf course.

There's no doubt the hip hop community isn't a normal golf-exposed one, so they're expanding into it to spark interest. It doesn't necessarily mean that they want the less fortunate to jump up and demand $600 drivers, i think they mean well in that they want interest in the SPORT first from that market segment, and that in turn down the line will pay dividends for their equipment profitability.

At its very core, more people playing golf (be it with free clubs, hand me downs, goodwill specials etc.) will mean more equipment being needed at some point. IMO i don't see them as thinking they're marketing through these people to move high end clubs, they're marketing to an even greater population to stimulate the game, which will then stimulate the need for equipment.

I was leaning between "absolutely essential" and "It might not change", and I choose the later. Golf has the stigma of being a rich man's sport, we all know that. What Callaway is doing is trying to crack the door open to other's who might not even look at the game if it wasn't for their favorite artist or sports figure. So, I look at that with the eye that if it there is a small percentage of kids or people who give golf a try because of this, then who knows who's they'd bring with them. It has the chance to bring more people to the game, that otherwise wouldn't have given it a thought. BUT, with that said, it has to be more affordable for them to get into this, or they won't keep coming.

I think its more than that though. Look who is listening to hip hop. It might originate there, but its also the tiny white kid in suburbia.
To me brands that are successful are the ones that dont have to jockey with everybody else for the same clients, but can create their own clients as well.

Little white kids already play the game and can afford to, that live in suburbia. The fact that Callaway latched onto an old school hip hop artist that wasn't popular with the masses but more urban kids, tells me they are targeting inner city youth. I agree that successful brands have skin in the game in many areas. But in my opinion this one will be a miss.

I applaud Callaway for their innovative marketing approach and use of unique methods of marketing to reach new audiences. One other thing they're doing is their investment in Top Golf, which I think is a terrific way to grow the game.

What I think is needed more is getting people out to the course. Maybe set weekend afternoons for 9 holes only, and start people on the front and back nine. Put some forward tees in, and make the greens fees inexpensive. Give out free rental clubs for range sessions and have clinics where a pga pro takes a small group out on the course to teach golf etiquette, rules, and get some practice in under supervision.

So if Callaway (and other oem's) can start working with courses to help make it less intimidating for a new golfer to be at a course, that's a step that's needed to grow the game I believe.

Little white kids already play the game and can afford to, that live in suburbia. The fact that Callaway latched onto an old school hip hop artist that wasn't popular with the masses but more urban kids, tells me they are targeting inner city youth. I agree that successful brands have skin in the game in many areas. But in my opinion this one will be a miss.

Thats just it, they arent playing the game.
If you cant grow the user base, you cant be successful long term.

Who said anything about pushing clubs. If you're going to grow interest then those interested parties need clubs. They have to buy them, have a way to buy them, a place to play and learn. As I said in my very first post, content is good I just don't think reaching out to the 'hip hop' community is going to grow the game.

The byproduct of growing interest in the game is the selling of clubs. Whether that be Callaway or another OEM, people that want to play have to be able to afford to play.

Just for arguments sake i'll just throw my take on that too. Golf advertising has already targeted it's same audience for years and years. Golf is still declining. What's the definition of insanity again?

At this point, why not try the hip hop community? It could very well be all for nothing, but it could also be successful. I understand that there needs to be avenues open for acquiring clubs, facilities, and coaching. But none of that would be possible without laying the groundwork for interest in the game first.

Struggling families may not give a rats *** about golf right now, because the persona is its too expensive, its not a game for them etc. When you see your favorite role model, rapper etc getting excited about it, you might then become aware. You might start to ask questions, where can i get equipment, where can i play etc. Answers will eventually come about to those people that want to play, equipment can be had at goodwill, people give away clubs or sell them cheap on craigslist/kijiji. The point is that through this advertising, people of all kinds will now be aware of golf. Sure, not everyone can afford the top end clubs, hell they might not even be able to afford wal-mart boxed sets. But they're now aware that they want to pursue the game, and will find a way. The more people that ask questions about it, the more people will start to get involved with implementing programs, putting together equipment donation drives, volunteering their time to teach etc.

*apologize in advance for any rambling! hahaha

Just for arguments sake i'll just throw my take on that too. Golf advertising has already targeted it's same audience for years and years. Golf is still declining. What's the definition of insanity again?

At this point, why not try the hip hop community? It could very well be all for nothing, but it could also be successful. I understand that there needs to be avenues open for acquiring clubs, facilities, and coaching. But none of that would be possible without laying the groundwork for interest in the game first.

Struggling families may not give a rats *** about golf right now, because the persona is its too expensive, its not a game for them etc. When you see your favorite role model, rapper etc getting excited about it, you might then become aware. You might start to ask questions, where can i get equipment, where can i play etc. Answers will eventually come about to those people that want to play, equipment can be had at goodwill, people give away clubs or sell them cheap on craigslist/kijiji. The point is that through this advertising, people of all kinds will now be aware of golf. Sure, not everyone can afford the top end clubs, hell they might not even be able to afford wal-mart boxed sets. But they're now aware that they want to pursue the game, and will find a way. The more people that ask questions about it, the more people will start to get involved with implementing programs, putting together equipment donation drives, volunteering their time to teach etc.

*apologize in advance for any rambling! hahaha

And its not just hip hop. They have targeted country music people, rock stars and bands and more.
I think every company out there is going to have to expand their audience to reach new golfers.

And its not just hip hop. They have targeted country music people, rock stars and bands and more.
I think every company out there is going to have to expand their audience to reach new golfers.

I agree. and the best way to reach the big masses is through a few big stars, no matter what background they have. One can only imagine how much exposure the game gets when a big name in music, or sport even mentions golf in 140 characters or less. Getting these people to represent the game is vital, so many followers and they can all be reached at once. You can surely bet that if there was an easier way of following my role models when i was a kid via social media, that i would be very inclined to be drawn to something if they played it too.

I 100% agree with freddie that the under-privileged need to be given a chance to play, there is no doubt about that. I still think that this could help that happen. It seems trivial on the surface to get rich & famous to market for you, but lets face it, these people have the followers and fans. It's an easy way to spread the word, and imo that's just fine by me. Without a GENERAL growing of the game, there's no chance of any programs or ways for the people on the bubble to get into the game get started up.

i still think you're getting the wrong message from what (at least what i get out of it anyways) their advertising is doing. Yeah they want to push expensive clubs out the door, that makes them money. But for me, i'm trying to look past that. I'm seeing it as they want everyone to see that anyone can play the game, even a rapper who is someone that most people wouldn't realize they'd ever see on a golf course.

There's no doubt the hip hop community isn't a normal golf-exposed one, so they're expanding into it to spark interest. It doesn't necessarily mean that they want the less fortunate to jump up and demand $600 drivers, i think they mean well in that they want interest in the SPORT first from that market segment, and that in turn down the line will pay dividends for their equipment profitability.

At its very core, more people playing golf (be it with free clubs, hand me downs, goodwill specials etc.) will mean more equipment being needed at some point. IMO i don't see them as thinking they're marketing through these people to move high end clubs, they're marketing to an even greater population to stimulate the game, which will then stimulate the need for equipment.

And you're missing my point. That I have repeated over and over. I never said their goal was to sell clubs. I simply said I don't think doing a 10 min piece on Vice (where?) will have the appeal they are hoping for

I went onto say that I'd like to see them create programs for inner city kids, because I'm assuming that is their target audience. But I guess I don't convey my thoughts well enough. I really didn't expect to have to defend my position especially since you stated that you thought it was an interesting. Apparently you agree with their cause and that's great, I just don't happen to think the hip hop part will work.

And you're missing my point. That I have repeated over and over. I never said their goal was to sell clubs. I simply said I don't think doing a 10 min piece on Vice (where?) will have the appeal they are hoping for

I went onto say that I'd like to see them create programs for inner city kids, because I'm assuming that is their target audience. But I guess I don't convey my thoughts well enough. I really didn't expect to have to defend my position especially since you stated that you thought it was an interesting. Apparently you agree with their cause and that's great, I just don't happen to think the hip hop part will work.

point taken, i probably got a little too off topic. i'm not a great internet debater unfortunately LOL.

I agree, i'd also like to see them do the same, but i'll stand to disagree that doing the vice piece and targeting the hip hop audience wont help that. I can't stand behind it 100% and say that it'll work, but with the industry the way it is, I still think it would be worth their time to see what the reaction would be from that market segment, because at this point why not give it a try? It's not going to affect the customer base they already have, but they've got to try something to expand beyond what they normally do. I still think in the end, any expansion on the interest of golf will eventually trickle down to creating the programs that you talk about. Unfortunately IMO those just aren't happening without the game growing in a general.

Back